Coach patent leather, love it or leave it?

keenersarmywife

Pregnant and cranky
O.G.
Nov 13, 2011
I find myself falling in love with many Coach patent leather bags. It doesn't matter the line it comes out in or even the color. I just love the way it looks from far away and up close. I have been tempted to buy patent leather bags many times. I will find a bag that is perfect reach for it and my hand will brush it right before I grab it. That's when I remember why I haven't bought one. I just can not get past the plastic feeling of the leather. They are beautiful and I understand why so many other TPFers have them. I wish I could get over the feel of the leather. It just instantly turns me away from the bag.
How do you feel about the patent bags? Any suggestions on how to get over the feel of the bag?

I'm right there with you, but I did buy the Kristin hobo in the crinkle leather and it doesn't seem to bother me as much, and it doesn't get the finger prints all over it like the smooth patent leather does. I think that bothers me more than anything.

For me, it's leave it. I couldn't get past the "sticky" feel of it, especially when it's humid out. It's versatile, beautiful and a great all-weather material but the way it feels was a deal breaker.

I don't care for the smooth patent, especially if it's thick, it looks too much like plastic to me. Coach has done some beautiful colors in that smooth patent, but I passed on them all.

But I don't mind the crinkle patent so much, as long as it's not sticky, and I have a couple of bags in that.

Personally, I love patent leather. I live in Ohio and our weather can be less than ideal and change very quickly. I love Patent because it's weather worthy for me and I don't have to worry if it suddenly starts to rain (or snow, ugh) and I didn't grab an umbrella before going out. I also love the shiny quality of patent leather.

For me it's eye-catching, extremely practical, and available in a variety of styles and colors, but if it's not your thing, that's perfectly fine and you should get what makes you happy. ;)

Love it! I live in FL and in the summer it starts pouring unexpectedly so patent bags are nice to have. It's VERY humid here but I've gotten used to the feel of patent. The humidity is so high that ANYTHING touching your skin is uncomfortable, so it doesn't really matter. LOL

I have both crinkle and smooth and love them both, but yes, crinkle is softer and not as "sticky".

Love love love Coach's patent leather but not by other designers. Before Coach, i didn't like patent at all. I think Coach does it really well in appropriate colours and styles. I receive more compliments on my patent bags than any other.
I live in Canada and need a bag that I can use in the rain and snow. I appreciate it for what it is and not what it is lacking. I love the durability, style & appearance. If I want to smell and feel supple leather, I use a different bag that day.
Once I had my plum patent Lindsey, I was hooked on patent!! :biggrin:

Love it! I live in FL and in the summer it starts pouring unexpectedly so patent bags are nice to have. It's VERY humid here but I've gotten used to the feel of patent. The humidity is so high that ANYTHING touching your skin is uncomfortable, so it doesn't really matter. LOL

I have both crinkle and smooth and love them both, but yes, crinkle is softer and not as "sticky".

Live in FL too, Miami, and it's always high humidity here and thought patent would be the last bag I would want to have near my body on a summers day BUT I feel in love with the Audery tote in navy patent and it's just a wonderful light weight bag and perfect for those summer down pours

I have a pewter patent Lindsey, but I prefer the patent of the older styles. I have several:P of the original Zoe patent bags, and I love the feel and quality of these bags. Of course, these bags are heavier....

Huge fan of patent here! Like so many others, I much prefer the crinkle patent over the smoother patent (much less plasticky feeling). The look is gorgeous, and the material is very low maintenance!

It took me a long time to buy a patent bag but now I have 3 of them (black kristin pleated satchel, rose patent baby sage, and paprika katerina). They are all krinkle patent and I love them but I am not a fan of the smooth patent.

They are gorgeous and I always get compliments on them and I don't have to worry about the weather.

Why don't you buy one and put your stuff in it and wear it around the house for a little bit before you make a final decision?

I love patent leather! Or at least I used to. The newer patent bags are a lot more plasticy than ever. I don't think I will buy any new patent bags but I'm not sure. Patent has long been my favorite material so I could see myself buying more. But it will be hard to buy another sticky plasticy bag. I love my patent Lindsey but hate the way she feels sometimes. I've just decided that patent is best when used in the cooler months. And since I'm close to Chicago (grew up in the city, now in the burbs) I will get plenty of time to rock my patent bags.

I love patent leather. I too never got into it, till I saw Coach's versions. I have five currently and want to get the navy Audrey tote when it goes to the outlets. I agree that the crinkle patent is much more forgiving on the smudges and prettier IMO.

I always hated patent leather bags - reminded me of those black patent leather shoes from elementary school many years ago!

I'm also in Florida and the weather can be sunny one minute and rainy the next. I always worried about ruining a nice leather bag and once last summer I was heading to my car from the office when the skies opened up and I had to go back into the office and find a trash bag to protect the leather bag.

So, I finally broke down and bought my first patent bag last fall and now own 6 of them! I have both crinkle and smooth in all different colors and totally love my latest purchase - Abigail in aubergine patent. I have never had any problems with them and no longer have to worry about carrying a nice bag in the rain.