Coach Originals Minis

Cute, if someone has a large disposable income or a generous trust fund. But I'm too much of a traditionalist, not to mention on a fixed retirement income, to even consider anything like that.
"Cute but useless" hasn't been one of my reasons to buy something for a very VERY long time. I know some of the original Cashin bags fell into that category, but back then we didn't have cell phones. Carrying more than one bag is a style being promoted by Coach and other companies, but to me it seems too much like a cash grab. I just think it looks silly.

Sorry, but that's the opinion of an old, cranky lady and I'm sticking to it. Buy what you like, but ask yourself "Twenty years from now, will I be looking at these and asking "What was I thinking?'" If the answer is No and you can afford them, like them and can rock the look, then go for it.

Lol. I agree with you so much. I also know that there are so many other people with different circumstances and options that disagree with us. I honestly want to know what every one else thinks. I bought two of the originals In Vermillion & Green from Nordstrom (the adjustable strap version) and I love them. They don’t fit my 7+ iPhone in them. I still like them a lot. I also am so obsessed with the new mini barrel crossbody I think the color is Cherry. Ugh. Nothing will fit in it and the opening will be frustrating as anything. Still. I love it but I wish it was regular size.

FC36E86E-084C-41F9-86BA-092BC56E2A18.jpeg

Lol. I agree with you so much. I also know that there are so many other people with different circumstances and options that disagree with us. I honestly want to know what every one else thinks. I bought two of the originals In Vermillion & Green from Nordstrom (the adjustable strap version) and I love them. They don’t fit my 7+ iPhone in them. I still like them a lot. I also am so obsessed with the new mini barrel crossbody I think the color is Cherry. Ugh. Nothing will fit in it and the opening will be frustrating as anything. Still. I love it but I wish it was regular size.

View attachment 4769031

I agree, it's a cute bag. But I'd still take one of the original vintage versions over a dozen of the mini-copies. I happened to find two of the water buffalo leather remakes made in 2001 and I'd never part with them. And I can use them every day, they fit my phone and keys and wallet and cosmetic bag and kleenex and face mask... anyway, you get the idea. Houseof999 posted a photo of the twin of one of them a while back, although the deep spruce or teal green color and almost irridescense don't really show on the photo. Not "cute" by any stretch of the imagination, but for me, "gorgeous" describes it much better. Give me Gorgeous over Cute any day. When you get older, your priorities change. Would I take Sean Bean or Orlando Bloom over Justin Bieber or whoever the Hottie Of The Month is? In a heartbeat, sister!:girlsigh:

9701_teal-spruce_houseof999.jpg

Last edited:
I love those mini bags! I'll buy them all for $10-50 each someday soon when the trend is over. :lol: However, I might get the mini red barrel bag at half off. I'd have to see it in person to see how much I can fit in it. It maybe just big enough to fit my phone.

I can see a practical side to these mini bags...just all depends on one’s lifestyle and what they like to carry.

Me, often I’m just walking to my local store and only carry a couple credit cards, even leaving my phone at home (crazy, right?! I hate being accessible lol) and want something lightweight and hands-free. Some prefer their phone in a pocket for even easier access. Or this can be used almost like a WOC and tossed into a larger tote for work.

But agree they’re not worth buying if useless for you just because they’re cute!

I agree, it's a cute bag. But I'd still take one of the original vintage versions over a dozen of the mini-copies. I happened to find two of the water buffalo leather remakes made in 2001 and I'd never part with them. And I can use them every day, they fit my phone and keys and wallet and cosmetic bag and kleenex and face mask... anyway, you get the idea. Houseof999 posted a photo of the twin of one of them a while back, although the deep spruce or teal green color and almost irridescense don't really show on the photo. Not "cute" by any stretch of the imagination, but for me, "gorgeous" describes it much better. Give me Gorgeous over Cute any day. When you get older, your priorities change. Would I take Sean Bean or Orlando Bloom over Justin Bieber or whoever the Hottie Of The Month is? In a heartbeat, sister!:girlsigh:

View attachment 4769486
I’ll take cute AND gorgeous! :biggrin:

Cute, if someone has a large disposable income or a generous trust fund. But I'm too much of a traditionalist, not to mention on a fixed retirement income, to even consider anything like that.
"Cute but useless" hasn't been one of my reasons to buy something for a very VERY long time. I know some of the original Cashin bags fell into that category, but back then we didn't have cell phones. Carrying more than one bag is a style being promoted by Coach and other companies, but to me it seems too much like a cash grab. I just think it looks silly.

Sorry, but that's the opinion of an old, cranky lady and I'm sticking to it. Buy what you like, but ask yourself "Twenty years from now, will I be looking at these and asking "What was I thinking?'" If the answer is No and you can afford them, like them and can rock the look, then go for it.

I have some very cute purses from when I was younger and cell phones were smaller than I can never use now....so annoying!!

I notice many women in the Gen z/millennial generation carrying their phones in either their pocket or bras!

Or they use a cell phone holder that fits credit cards and somehow don't need a purse and just carry the phone.

I've never owned any clothing besides a jacket that had large enough pockets to fit anything essential! Like what about chapstick, keys, feminine products?

Only thing I could see is when I carry a large backpack I also carry a wristlet or very small cross body purse for things I need frequently because it's a pain to keep taking off and opening the backpack.

All and all these bags seem geared for a generation that can't afford them anyway (without a trust fund I guess?). I feel it's a common marketing mistake of Coach. Ironically, I do see this same generation with vintage Coach fairly often!

These are so cute!

The yellow top handle saddle bag has a back pocket, so maybe it can fit a phone and red barrel bag looks long enough to fit a phone. I might pick these 2 up if they go on sale. Been looking for a red and yellow bag anyways :P

Millenial here and I do like the mini bag trend because I dont carry much on a daily basis. However, the bags must fit my phone, even if I carry my phone in my hands 50% of the time :biggrin:

I can't even use a bag smaller.than 20!!!

Yes! For me, 30cm is pretty much my minimum length. I'd rather have space to spare than something that's just 2 or 3cm too small. I'll use a smaller Swingpack size if I'm just running out to the Burger King drive-thru, but for regular shopping even if it's just to the grocery store I want room for my essentials, including a folding umbrella once in a while. It also has to fit my "grocery shopping stuff" bag which is a repurposed Kipling cosmetic case that holds handwritten grocery lists (you can't accidently Delete a piece of paper!), spare twist ties, coupons, and most importantly a roll of scotch tape for all those blasted plastic containers that the stores seem to be using for everything these days. Anyone who's ever had a plastic clamshell container of cherry tomatoes pop open and spill all over the floor of the checkout lane as you were taking them out of your cart to put on the conveyor belt will understand the need to tape a lot of these things closed before something similar happens.

No no no to these. I am definitely a mini bag person (I own nothing over 25cm) but these are not going to be practical for a majority of adult women. Even if you are willing to place your phone in a pocket or just hold it, some aren't even big enough to fit a card holder. These bags would qualify as novelty items. Super cute but not super useful. They are aimed at a much much younger demographic - when you get a bit older you realize you need more space than a 2x2 bag can offer because age = more stuff you need as necessities. I think when I was age 5-16 any of these would have worked.

After reading the comments on this thread, I am completely prepared for this to be a very unpopular opinion: I love these! I ordered the mini top handle saddle bag and it actually holds more than I expected! I already knew this wouldn’t fit my phone before I purchased it, so I was mentally prepared to carry my phone in my pocket when using this bag. Some pics of what it fits:
0AFBB73B-055D-4DC2-8780-BB8A07BC5ABC.jpegA54808E3-7C4E-4DDC-A17A-4EDEED0C64CE.jpegFCE55E6E-2B79-4C62-BA64-B4F93EC3F913.jpeg
It holds a Calvi cardholder, my bulky x2 key fobs and a filled to the brim Bastia no problem! I tried to put my phone in the back pocket and the results were almost comical lol. Note that I have an extremely bulky otter box case (iPhone 8) but it isn’t even close to fitting without looking weird
209D83C6-D63A-40E7-9A09-7CBDA05E99F0.jpeg9BF39C69-EAE5-45A5-9722-056C48419D15.jpeg

I think this bag is so cute that I am already eyeing the mini Willis, though I am trying to stop myself. I already have a mini evelyne in green so surely that should fill my green mini bag need....