Coach or LV

okqueen

Apr 24, 2015
Hi guys,
Long time lurker but this is my first time posting! :smile: my birthday is coming up and im LOVING the quilted Parker bag but at the same time im thinking whether its worth using that money towards my first LV maybe something classic like the speedy? ive loved LV since i was 13 but the new coach stuff also has my heart :heart: :heart: idek whether its worthy buying a luxury bag like the LV just because it will 'last a long time'? im scared the bad will eventually end up getting musty and old ?? let me know what you ladies think! thank youuu!

Reactions: BaguetteBlonde
Hi guys,
Long time lurker but this is my first time posting! :smile: my birthday is coming up and im LOVING the quilted Parker bag but at the same time im thinking whether its worth using that money towards my first LV maybe something classic like the speedy? ive loved LV since i was 13 but the new coach stuff also has my heart :heart: :heart: idek whether its worthy buying a luxury bag like the LV just because it will 'last a long time'? im scared the bad will eventually end up getting musty and old ?? let me know what you ladies think! thank youuu!
Since I am a die hard for the original glove leather vintage bags that originally put Coach on the map, I can't give you an opinion, but what I can say is this: Any kind of handbag stored properly in a well ventilated, temperature controlled climate (no dampness) will not end up getting musty. I have purchased several Coach bags, between 25 and 30 years old in amazing condition. 2 of the bags I would bet were barely used, judgingby the condition of the leather. I have bought many second hand bags with wear, but no musty-ness. Good luck, I am sure you will hear a bunch of experinces:smile:

I have both the Coach parker in chalk as well as a Speedy 30. I didn't have to decide between the two since I got the Speedy several years ago. They are both beautiful bags, but serve different functions. The Speedy is a rather casual bag IMO, good for a grab and go bag. The Parker is easy to dress up or down and go from day to night. I haven't had mine for very long but so far find it well made and practical.

My 2 cents is consider how much you will use the bag vs lifetime value. Where does this bag fit within your collection? A LV Speedy will be a lifelong purchase you'll treasure forever. But is it the time to spend that much? A Speedy 30 is a lot more than a Coach Parker and doesn't fit the same function.

Another consideration - I assume you're considering a canvas print LV to a leather Coach?? Each has it's place - so consider what you want this bag to do.

When it comes to lifetime value - you're comparing a Contemporary designer to a Premium designer. Louis Vuitton will always hold LTV over Coach. But if you think you'll get more, practical wear out of the Parker - then do it and don't worry about lifetime value. Coach 1941 bags wear beautifully and will last a lifetime. They may not be LV/premium, but worthy of holding your head high and carrying proudly.

If you're the type to consider resale value (I don't - I'm not selling my bags - but I appreciate having/knowing resale) - then go LV. Again, Premium vs Contemporary.

Just food for thought!

Regardless - pick the bag you think you'll enjoy the most!

I have both bags you mentioned and here's my opinion

Firstly they are very different bags, from design to construction to weight to capacity to aesthetic to purposes,like completely different bags. Obvious it is your money I am not telling you what to do but I definitely believe one should pick a bag that suits their lifestyle/purpose better.

Secondly keep in mind most coach bags are seasonal, they might discontinued the colour of a certain Parker bag you are aftering, while speedy will be there for much longer. So you always have the chance to get a speedy later but you might not able to get a certain Parker.

Finally even though I said a speedy does worth the investment, after all it is still canvas( I assume you are considering the canvas?). I for one do not take great care of my bags, so you do notice the wear with a speedy after a couple years (especially the vachetta handles). While with a Coach I can toss it on the ground, place it on hard surfaces, unintentionally scratches it with various objects without much damage showing.

Wow I said a lot, have fun deciding!

Hi! Welcome!
If I wanted a bag since I was 13 I would most likely regret getting anything else in it's place.
I almost had the same dilemma but on a much smaller scale. I wanted a $400 bag but instead of buying it I bought several less expensive bags. I then returned the bags I bought because I spent the same amount of money and didn't have the bag I really wanted.
If I had the $$ for an LV I would hope I wouldn't be diverted and I would buy it knowing Coach has sales and I would later be able to purchase the Parker on sale. But that's just me. I hope I didn't confuse you any more than you are.
Question...Are you able to return the LV? If so, I would buy both, take them home and then decide. That is how I shop all the time. Good luck!

Like everyone has mentioned ultimately it is your choice. I'll list pros and cons of each brand (I don't know much about the specific bags you're vying for).

* Louis Vuitton
Pros:
- You wanted one since you were 13.
- It's a luxury brand (if that holds water with you).
- This brand is known for having resale value.
Cons:
- You have to pay an 'arm and a leg' for their products.
- (Just my opinion, not offending other's choices) Their brown signature print is ugly and cold when I see it. (I like their colorful signature print on black).
- People know LV is expensive, so you become a bigger target for theft.

* Coach
Pros:
- Contemporary brand that is more affordable (compared to LV).
- Their leather is leather; supple, glove tanned, or soft. (For the most part, except coated canvas/saffiano).
- Their signature prints (even though they have fallen from grace) seem warmer and more versatile.
- This brand has fallen from grace, so you're not 'following the pack' when you carry it. (Always a good thing too!)
Cons:
- Coach has no resale value.
- Brand snobs seem to look down on Coach now because of their over flux of outlet and signature bags from the millennium to 2012 roughly. (Who cares what anybody thinks really).
- It's not what you've been dreaming of since you were 13.

I hope this helps you decide. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice! You'll have to post photos on this forum after you decide which one you buy!!!

I would for sure go with the LV. You've wanted it for so much longer and I know personally when I've bought a bag instead of the one I really wanted, I regret it. That being said since you have wanted it for so long and it is more of an every day bag, I think you'll enjoy it and appreciate it more. I fear if you got the Parker, you might like it, but realize it may not suit your needs if you want to have it for every day use.

Like everyone has mentioned ultimately it is your choice. I'll list pros and cons of each brand (I don't know much about the specific bags you're vying for).

* Louis Vuitton
Pros:
- You wanted one since you were 13.
- It's a luxury brand (if that holds water with you).
- This brand is known for having resale value.
Cons:
- You have to pay an 'arm and a leg' for their products.
- (Just my opinion, not offending other's choices) Their brown signature print is ugly and cold when I see it. (I like their colorful signature print on black).
- People know LV is expensive, so you become a bigger target for theft.

* Coach
Pros:
- Contemporary brand that is more affordable (compared to LV).
- Their leather is leather; supple, glove tanned, or soft. (For the most part, except coated canvas/saffiano).
- Their signature prints (even though they have fallen from grace) seem warmer and more versatile.
- This brand has fallen from grace, so you're not 'following the pack' when you carry it. (Always a good thing too!)
Cons:
- Coach has no resale value.
- Brand snobs seem to look down on Coach now because of their over flux of outlet and signature bags from the millennium to 2012 roughly. (Who cares what anybody thinks really).
- It's not what you've been dreaming of since you were 13.

I hope this helps you decide. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice! You'll have to post photos on this forum after you decide which one you buy!!!

thank you so much for the extensive list of pros and cons!!!! i agree the LV print is kinda cold, i guess i just wanted to satisfy 13 yr old me's dreams but i think my personal style has changed and i like LV's history and how iconic they are, but i just dont believe in spending insane amounts for canvas.
i think i will end up going with the parker and maybe an LV SLG!
thank you