Coach New Limit 5Cs/5Leather-did they copy your info.

I was at the outlet today hoping to find deals and use up my gift cards.
I'm not a reseller but felt like targeted as one today. The only things I picked up were 2 signatures and 1 leather item, but they took down my info.

What info. do they copy from our driver's license? I asked a SA abt this, she told me only the name was taken down, as I was explaining the privacy laws for CA, a manager was eavesdropping our conversation. I explained to her that I have all my info. on that single card, if someone was to commit ID fraud all they need is my SS# (which is easy to get nowadays) without me knowing.

The manager explained to me all they copy is the NAME, which is hard to believe, the cashier had my license for awhile, and don't know what she copied.

Has this happened to you? What info. do they copy? (I'm just worried!)

WOW! And you're in Cali too. They had that lawsuit not too long ago which caused everyone to get 30% cards. LOL! Ugh, how annoying. Thanks for being so vigilant. I don't know if I would've made the point you made about identity theft. Hopefully they did only take your name down. Sometimes the SAs put your info in the system to get coupons, but they should ask you first.

I am surprised they asked u for your license and not a credit card with just your name being revealed. I guess they didn't learn anything from the lawsuit. California has one of the highest rates in lawsuits.

the lawsuit was for taking down info and solidating people with emails/promotions (yes, promotions) basically contacting customers that did not want to be contacted! coming from CA, i can tell you that a lot of companies take down people's info, and flood their mail with mailings/email addy with junk mail and thats why the lawsuits..coach is among a LONG list of companies..i've gotten several in the mail for other companies i've shopped between xxxx-xxxx

if you wish to purchase at outlets, i think they ask for ID to see who you are, name wise, so that they know you aren't a reseller. they don't exactly have pictures posted like wanted signs! instead they have a list of names who are known as resellers, so they only need your name to check the list. if you are uncomfortable with showing your ID with info, like i've seen others suggest, put a white sticker over your addy part or just block everything BUT your name when showing them the ID. or have another form of ID that doesn't have any info but is gov't issued with your name (school id for me)

I'm curious about this as I don't live in CA...can't you decline to give them your ID? I mean, if I am making a purchase, I would definitely feel weird if they asked for ID. Returns, I understand...but a purchase? I don't like extra mail and whatnot, so I always say no here in PA...

It's getting pretty standard with all of the identify theft for retailers to ask for ID when you're using a credit card but they are not allowed (at least in CA) to actually take down any of that info anymore. If you refuse to show ID, I'd imagine they might refuse to take any payment other than cash and would be justified given the issues with stolen cards these days. OP - if you think they wrote down your info improperly, I'd call Coach corporate and complain!

I was at the outlet today hoping to find deals and use up my gift cards.
I'm not a reseller but felt like targeted as one today. The only things I picked up were 2 signatures and 1 leather item, but they took down my info...

I think this is going too far since you only bought the 3 items. I wonder if they are going to put everyone making multiple purchases into that book now.

It's getting pretty standard with all of the identify theft for retailers to ask for ID when you're using a credit card but they are not allowed (at least in CA) to actually take down any of that info anymore. If you refuse to show ID, I'd imagine they might refuse to take any payment other than cash and would be justified given the issues with stolen cards these days. OP - if you think they wrote down your info improperly, I'd call Coach corporate and complain!

Per the merchant agreement, they can ask for ID, but it cannot be "required" if the card is signed/valid. If you don't feel comfortable, you do not have to show your license/ID for a purchase.

If you are required to show ID to complete a transaction, that merchant should be reported as violating the merchant agreement.

Link to report Mastercard: http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/contactus/merchantviolations.html

For Visa, you have to call to report.

I went to my outlet last Thurs, and the REALLY odd thing was, I was asked to see my ID, even before I paid. And the funny thing was that the "manager" asked if I only have 2 items, TWICE. I bought a ponytail scarf and a wallet. After I paid, I saw the jewelry case, and bought 3 items. The 2nd time, they didn't ask to see ID or ask for names.

I'm torn between this b/c I DO want them to ask for my ID when I give them my cc or debit card. It's for my protection AND they've always done this. I would hate to lose my cc or debit card, have someone walk into Coach or wherever, charge it up and no one ask for an ID. But then I also think it stinks that the average customer who wants to buy whatever, might get ding'ed. I've pretty much gone on the asumption that if they're going to track us, they're going to track us. So be it. If we're not a reseller than we shouldn't be worried. Hopefully resellers are sh*tting and will back off now. For those cash paying people, than yeah, I think it does stink b/c you shouldn't have to show them your ID before paying in cash. But then again, that's probably how resellers do their thing. Who knows?? So then I'm back to: yeah, make them ask for ID if they have a TON of stuff b/c they probably are resellers. See like I said, I'm torn about it.

They always ask for my i.d. I always pay (almost) w/credit card. I always assumed this was for my protection. I don't have a problem w/it. I know that they have purchases/returns in the system, as do a lot of stores...Once I couldn't find a receipt for an item (but eventually found it at home)...and they just looked it up. I told them I'd just take a mdse. credit, because I knew I'd eventually get something else. That's the only time I've ever not had my receipt.