Coach Lines: Definition Criteria

aptreex

Jul 27, 2008
Hey all. Here's another newbie question, and I'm not sure how to articulate it properly, and sorry for the lone post -

How are the Coach "Lines" defined? Do they refer to the design (shape), the material/leather treatment, or details that are consistent within each line?

For example -

Zoe: Appears to refer to the design/shape. Aside from the size and some details such as the braided handles, all Zoe's have the same shape. And different materials are available.

Legacy: Can't be referring to the shape then. The top handle, shoulder flap and satchel all have different "shapes".. but there is a general consistency in the details and the garcia leather is consistent. But then you get to the Aubrey and Barrett.. and they're completely different yet still part of the "Lagacy" line.

Peyton: Like the Zoe, seems to refer to the design/shape.

Hamptons: Like the Legacy, there is no consistency between the bags under this category. Although the satchel and the carryall have the same leather.. but then you get to the Madeline and it's all different again.

Bleeker: Like the Legacy and Hamptons, all the bags under this line look different with different materials and I cannot seem to pick out the consistent theme.

Carly: Like the Zoe and Peyton.

Ergo: Different designs and materials.. but they all seem to have the pleat thing going.

Signature stripe - Makes sense. All are sigs with a stripe. Duh. :smile:

Heritage stripe - Makes sense. All have the stripe thing going too. :smile:

So, not sure if this is something that has been discussed. But how are Coach lines defined?

TIA!

tree

Hmm.. so maybe I'm not that good at spotting the traits shared amongst the bags in each "family". LOL!

What's the running theme is Legacy? Hampton? Bleeker?

Honestly, I always see a bag or two that just don't fit in with the rest once I've established a pattern from which to classify the line??
(And this has been bugging me since I've started to look at the Coach website)

Thanks!

tree

We were discussing that the other day in the store. When I was new with the company (4 years ago) the lines were really easily defined. Soho had the chunky silver buckles, Hamptons was more clean with simple hardware, Hamptons Weekend was light and summery.... you get the point.

Four years later it's a totally different approach. Each line has it's own personality, Ergo is lightweight and comfortable to carry, Legacy is all about the texture of the leather (swoon!), and Zoe is about the shape.

I don't know if that helps or not, but this is a fun time to be a Coachie because I sure seem to love EVERYTHING!

Hmm.. very interesting.

So, while I was looking for some sort of mechanical way to classify - visually by shape or material.. you're telling me that it is by the feeling and the "personality" of the bag. I guess this sorta makes sense given the way the catalogue uses a different girl (with different personalities) to represent the lines? I was confused over the catalogue when I first opened it too. LOL. I was expecting a list outlining features. Like buying computers. Ha ha.

Thanks, this helps. :smile:

tree

ITA as well -fashion has everything to do with emotion, feeling, look - it's very abstract which is part of what makes it very exciting - it can conjure up a mood, change your "look" entirely and consumers buy on emotion so it totally makes sense.

What really bugs me is for the Legacy line, they call the leather "Garcia", "Lotus", "Gaucho" - WTF?? Those arent really authentic leather-type names. Coach has lots of inconsistancies that play like gimmicks, and it's sort of turning me off. I don't know why they resorted to doing that.:nogood:

I don't think Legacy was ever really intended to be the actual name of the specific leather used for all bags in that line - it was a family/group name that evoked Coach's roots or "legacy" as there has been a wide variety of styles and leathers/fabrics in the bags under the Legacy umbrella. I think that the super thick leather they used on a lot of the bags in the Legacy collection were uber popular and people started identifying the Legacy family with that particular leather and it got commonly known as Legacy Leather which is now causing some of the issues with them adding in the new leathers into this group. It's also very common for brands/fashion houses to rename materials to make them appear more unique to their brand.

I remember when the Legacy line first came out, it was Coach's anniversary, and it was such a big deal, all the celebs were invited to their parties and they were wearing the bags, and the Mandy was named after Mandy Moore, etc. and I sort of miss that kind of excitement - it was like a reintroduction to Coach, because I kno I was straying from them a bit. The leather then was gorgeous. It actually brought me back to Coach, after having a light colored bag from Marc Jacobs get ruined from the rain - never happened to me with Coach.

Now I'm so disappointed with the leather now, I don't want anything from that line. I'm hearing good things about the Hamptons Vintage, tho. Is it like the Legacy used to be?