Coach in Japan

Hi all! First post ever!

I was just wondering if anyone knew why Coach is so much more expensive in Japan. I'm actually moving there in about a week (!!) and I was checking out prices because I was curious. Once you do the Yen conversion- something like the Madison slim wallet for example, it comes to like 562 Canadian dollars! Here it's only 238! I know there are importing fees and whatnot, but man, that's a high jump.

Needless to say I scrapped my plans of waiting till I moved there to get the wallet and just bought at the store here. lol which is really bad cause moving to Japan is expensive and I really should be spending my money on more practical things like anti frizz serum and allegry medicine but hey! It's alot cheaper here and now so it's totally justified! yup!:biggrin:

Welcome!!!

I have never been overseas, but I have a feeling that it has to do with the American dollar not having much value! Two of my neices were in Germany and lived there for a year! They said it was real expensive! My sister sent my one neice her digital camera (she forgot it before she left!) I'm not sure how much it cost to ship, but my neice had to pay about the equivalent of $25 US dollars to get her camera from the post office there! I would say, buy what you can in America and bring it over!!!
Lucky you that you get to go!!! Enjoy your stay in Japan!!!

Lynne :smile:

SateenAneurysm...

1. Welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy your stay here among all Coachies.
2. Best of luck with your move and may you have a great new home in JP.
3. It's not just Coach that's expensive in JP. Generally speaking, JP is a very expensive country to live and it's even more expensive if you live in one of its major cities.
4. I have to disagree with LuvsElvis on "the American dollar not having much value". That really has nothing to do with why Coach is twice the price in JP than in the US or CA. The higher price is simply due to import duties and the local Coach's profit margin markups. And to be honest, USD has always been and still is one of the most valuable currencies worldwide. Because of its value, there are foreign countries that use and accept USD instead of their own currency for trading ;)

LuvsElvis...

The additional USD25.00 that your niece had to pay to get her camera was probably custom fees. I get charged custom fees too sometimes when I have package coming in from overseas. Again, that has nothing to do with the "low value" of the USD.

Last edited:
Hi, I saw Coach at japan airport. It is more expensive than USA. also Coach in Thailand more expensive double x2 or x3 to price over there.Singapore too. Buy here better.

Last edited:
I have never been to Japan but I know the price of living is very expensive. I also know that Japan gets great Coach items that we can not get our hands on.

Jelita - gets the most lovely assessories from Japan that we do not even see over here. So there is always an upside..

Hey thanks guys!! I also saw things on the coach japan website that aren't here as well (mostly just different colours of certain designs and stuff), but I will try to limit coach purchases to Canada, and possibly get my mom to ship them over...

5 days! ahhhh!!!!

They are approx. 30% higher in Hawaii. I was told by the SA that it was because of shipping charges? The international boutiques are all a considerably higher. It sounds a little hokey to me (because they have to ship from China to the US to begin with). I was told this by the SA in Hawaii and also in the Calif. Santa Barbara boutique.