Coach Factory Online Sale Discussion Thread

I too have been “banned” from the FOS after many years of buying. I never bought a lot, and certainly not every sale, but enough that I should have been a valued customer.

As was explained to me by someone who works in the industry, albeit for another designer, this may be Coach’s way of maximizing sales. Coach wouldn’t care who buys their products, whether or not they are resold or shipped out of the country, etc. They only care about profits. So, third party companies are brought in to scrutinize and interpret sales data in order to increase sales and minimize returns. Hence why large groups of foreign customers are way more appealing than someone who only buys now & then. So these lockouts could be a way of them making more merchandise available for those who buy in ‘bulk’. It also keeps their website from crashing if less people are on at once.

No matter the reason, it’s terrible business and I won’t buy from them anymore. I shouldn’t have to feel lucky to give a company my money.

I'll still buy Coach because I like the bags, and it's just a business, but it would be really interesting to know the full truth behind the lock outs. Are there members on the forum that work for Coach and can share? I've only been in a few outlets, and they've always tried to convince me to buy MORE. Usually they don't have what I want even if I go on the first day of a sale. I love the online sale so much more!
The stores want you to buy more because they most likely get incentives for high sales. It is corporate (loss prevention I believe sent the round of ban letters circa 2008) in NYC that is behind the lock-outs.

Reactions: tealocean
That is so kind of you to offer! I still have one to use from someone else but waiting until Mon to decide. It is sweet of you to offer! I'm just not happy with the management at the moment. Hard to want to support their mission.
SO TRUE. I have avoided a certain manager at all costs, so I just shop down the street!!! But we can do that. Aaaand it's same company...

The stores want you to buy more because they most likely get incentives for high sales. It is corporate (loss prevention I believe sent the round of ban letters circa 2008) in NYC that is behind the lock-outs.
It still doesn't make sense, but I suppose if the tour buses or whatever just keep buying everything up, it's easier for them to be sold 'in bulk'. Ridiculous. Why have a website AT ALL then?!

Reactions: tealocean
Hi all,
I have not been on the Coach Forum in some years (or even the purseforum that much lol, life intervened...) but I just bought my first Coach bag in 4 years on the FOS sale, the whipstitch saddle bag with the fringe (I bought both the green and the oxblood). I was actually sent an invite from Coach to the sale without even asking for it lol. I used to buy quite a bit of Coach but left Coach for Proenza around the time the Gary Baseman stuff came out (not the outlet Baseman stuff, the regular store Baseman releases). I am just guessing, but I think Coach may want each person on their mailing list to buy a certain amount a year and maybe they are spending resources right now trying to bring customers like me back into the fold. I really wanted these purses and missed them the first time so it worked lol. Nice to meet you all. :smile: (again). By the way, when I used to frequent the Coach forum some years ago, they were just beginning the bans on FOS and the algorithm then was frequent returns....Just a data point.

Hi all,
I have not been on the Coach Forum in some years (or even the purseforum that much lol, life intervened...) but I just bought my first Coach bag in 4 years on the FOS sale, the whipstitch saddle bag with the fringe (I bought both the green and the oxblood). I was actually sent an invite from Coach to the sale without even asking for it lol. I used to buy quite a bit of Coach but left Coach for Proenza around the time the Gary Baseman stuff came out (not the outlet Baseman stuff, the regular store Baseman releases). I am just guessing, but I think Coach may want each person on their mailing list to buy a certain amount a year and maybe they are spending resources right now trying to bring customers like me back into the fold. I really wanted these purses and missed them the first time so it worked lol. Nice to meet you all. :smile: (again). By the way, when I used to frequent the Coach forum some years ago, they were just beginning the bans on FOS and the algorithm then was frequent returns....Just a data point.
I guess unless we have a well informed insider from Coach we won't know what they really are doing. I didn't return a lot of bags. If Coach wants the foreign tour buses to have all the goods then just ship them to them! But don't insult your good day to day customers. I don't know any other company that plays this game but it is a turn off.

Would you be willing to write a short letter to someone in charge to ask for the truth? I think this is one of those situations where the people who are selling bags will find a way. They'll get a team or whatever to make it happen so they can buy all the bags. The rest of us are left puzzled because we can't buy bags for ourselves. It might help if Coach could prohibit or limit NWT bags from being resold.
They wouldn't be able to prohibit NWT bags from being resold. It's in law, once you buy something it is yours and you can do what you want with it, including reselling it. It's called the First Sale Doctrine.

Hi all,
Welcome back!

Reactions: ltbag
I guess unless we have a well informed insider from Coach we won't know what they really are doing. I didn't return a lot of bags. If Coach wants the foreign tour buses to have all the goods then just ship them to them! But don't insult your good day to day customers. I don't know any other company that plays this game but it is a turn off.
I've only made one return on my first order. After that I learned to find mod shots and try to be certain I'd love it.