Coach experts, help needed about an older keyring/charm

http://reviews.ebay.com/Fake-counte...-Keychains-keyfobs_W0QQugidZ10000000003437851

This was from a few years ago when I bought a couple fake keychains.
I'd like to correct some of the statements in your guide.

1. Your statement: Coach keychains do not come in a small box! They are put in a small white dustbag when purchasing it at the outlet. My keychains didn't come with a price tag on them or anything else. The keychain I purchased at the full priced Coach store was simply put into the little Coach bag you get with your purchases (shopper bag, not a dustbag).

Correction: Sometimes, Coach keychains can (and do) come in a white box. Although it's rare to see them because Coach hasn't used the boxes in several years, occasionally I come across a listing with an authentic keychain in an AUTHENTIC box.

In fact, I recently found one and saved the pictures. This is one example:

Picture1-2.png

Picture2-2.png

2. Your statement: Coach keychains have very strong links that look very smooth. They aren't tiny in size. The large ones look more oval and the smaller ones where the charm dangles from look circle. Even the small ones where authentic charm dangles from look very smooth/polished.

Correction/clarification: Regarding the information about links, I'm pretty sure that Coach has used both round and oval links, so link shape isn't really a determining factor.

3. Your statement: All items on my authentic keychain have the "Coach" emblem on them in one way or another. The emblem may be on the back and/or it may be on the front (the bee on this has it on front and back). The tag on it is the emblem and on the back it states "made in china". The fakes I have do not have "Coach" written on front or back of the charms and the tags have nothing written on the back.

Clarification: Usually, the fakes have "Coach" way more times than the authentic version.

4. Your statement: Coach doesn't make "character" keychains. Coach did not create "Hello Kitty" keychains. They do not collaborate with popular character lines to create keychains or any other item.

Clarification: Coach has the current poppy chan fobs with characters. Coach doesn't use other companies' licensed characters, though. There's no Disney characters, Hello Kitty, or other cartoon characters.

5. When in doubt, contact Coach to ask them. They are so friendly. The toll free number is 888-262-6224. Ask them if they ever made a particular keychain you are looking at. Ask them if their keychains EVER come in a box. Just because a seller shows a picture with it in a "Coach" box or even adding a sticker with words and upc code, doesn't mean they are authentic. None of the Coach products have some sticker and a upc code on it.

Clarification/correction: Most Coach employees aren't familiar with items from previous years and unless a style number is in their book or computer system, they will tell you it doesn't exist. But not every item ever made is in their system.

As for the box and sticker, see my pictures above. That keychain, box and label on the box are 100% genuine!

Thanks for the information. I was just trying to give basic info and it was written 3 years ago.
I understand but the reason I pointed out the inaccurate or 1/2-correct info is that when buyers read those guides, they often assume they're accurate and we've seen too many authentic listings get pulled because of misinformation in guides.

For example, that authentic keychain with the authentic white box was from this listing. What if someone reported it as fake because they read that white boxes with labels are always fake?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Coach-Leather-Keyfob-7273-NIB-Black-KeyChain-Valet-/130456332274

I will have to agree to disagree because 99% of the Coach charms that are sold on ebay with a "box" are fake. They have the boxes with lids. It is very rare that one comes along like the one you mentioned. All guides are just that, a guide- not meant to be taken as the end all, catch all and all knowing, but to be a point of reference.

What I wrote about characters was true at the time and I am sorry, but the "poppy characters" aren't a widely known well known character such as Hello Kitty (I have seen listings for Coach Hello Kitty charms and Coach Disney charms/fobs).

What I wrote was based on MY experience and mine alone at the time that I wrote it. There are other people who write guides as well and are more than welcome to challenge what I write if they like. I have read a lot of guides and didn't always agree with them all, but they are there so that people can read and get a general idea.

Thank you

Thanks for the information. I was just trying to give basic info and it was written 3 years ago.

It doesn't really matter when it was written, the information was wrong WHEN it was written. BeenBurned has covered the most glaring mistakes in that "guide" and I agree with her comments 100 percent.

And yes, I AM an expert in Coach keychains.

"I have read a lot of guides and didn't always agree with them all, but they are there so that people can read and get a general idea."

I strongly disagree - people read Guides assuming they're getting valid information, not a general idea or information that may or may NOT be correct. If the information isn't correct or isn't verified, the Guides can and DO cause harm to sellers of genuine items that may not match the guide's statements. I've seen dozens of Coach items reported and removed as fakes that were perfectly genuine, because someone believed what they read in some (usually Copied & Pasted from another source) Guide that was full of misinformation, glaring mistakes and just plain lies.

If a Guide isn't correct it's the writer's responsibility to either make it correct or delete it. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Yes, that's harsh, but when someone reads what's supposed to be an expert's opinion on authenticity, they deserve to get CORRECT information. "Trying to help" is all well and good, but if the information's wrong, just who are you helping?

(BTW, Coach keychains bought from the full-price stores and even some outlets can and do come with price tags as do keychains bought from Coach.com, and gift boxes with lids are easily available at the full-price stores)

" None of the Coach products have some sticker and a upc code on it."
That's odd, every single keychain I've bought from Coach.com has had a price tag AND a plastic bag with a sticker that includes the UPC code.

"All items on my authentic keychain have the "Coach" emblem on them in one way or another."
Again, very strange, the Poppy Candy Mix I just received from Coach.com only has "Coach" or the C on 3 of the 5 charms, so by your Guide it's fake. Oh, and some newer keychains and ALL older ones will never say Made In China.

And don't ever ask a CS phone rep if Coach made a certain style keychain. That's a total waste of time. Like bags and wallets, even if you provide the style or serial number, no one can authenticate a keychain over the phone.

One correct statement is that most Coach keychains sold on Ebay are fake.

Last edited:
A shill bid is when someone purposely drives up the bidding intentionally. This can be someone the seller knows or just some loser with nothing better to do.

Or sometimes it's the seller herself using a bogus ID, or a whole string of them. (COUGH)

I wonder if the shill bidders have any idea how easy that is for us to spot - and report. :graucho:

Question: I bought another keychain from another bidding site. It has a box, like the one the keychain in question here, but the box actually has a sticker barcode tag. However, the barcode and description do not match the keychain itself. It says pavefob keychain. Is this one going to end up fake too?

And no, I did not list it. I bought it for myself.

Question: I bought another keychain from another bidding site. It has a box, like the one the keychain in question here, but the box actually has a sticker barcode tag. However, the barcode and description do not match the keychain itself. It says pavefob keychain. Is this one going to end up fake too?

The box is fake. Post photos of the keychain and we can tell you if that's fake too.

If the site you bought it from is iOffer, we already know the answer.

The box is fake. Post photos of the keychain and we can tell you if that's fake too.

If the site you bought it from is iOffer, we already know the answer.

I bought it from E-Bid, and when I get home, I will post it.

I also bought a Swarovski breast cancer crystal charm and a picture frame keychain yesterday on ebay. Should I post those here? I just won them yesterday and paid for them, so I haven't received them yet, but I have the links to the listings.

Last edited:

I bought it from E-Bid, and when I get home, I will post it.

I also bought a Swarovski breast cancer crystal charm and a picture frame keychain yesterday on ebay. Should I post those here? I just won them yesterday and paid for them, so I haven't received them yet, but I have the links to the listings.
I concur that the box you refer to with the JKRSL PAVEFOB label is fake. But we need to see the keychain to know whether that's authentic as well as your other purchases.

Using the format requested in the first post of that thread, please post the authenticity questions here: http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/authenticate-this-coach-577470-619.html#post17390126

I concur that the box you refer to with the JKRSL PAVEFOB label is fake. But we need to see the keychain to know whether that's authentic as well as your other purchases.

Using the format requested in the first post of that thread, please post the authenticity questions here: http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/authenticate-this-coach-577470-619.html#post17390126

When I get home, I can post the keychain I received, but I have links to the ones I bought on ebay yesterday, so I will put them in the thread you linked.