Coach doesn’t want to encourage your business

lizmil

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
[FONT=&quot]A bit of a long story, but I want to show the setting, please bear with me)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I went to pick up my daughter at her school and had a rare opportunity to visit a FP store this one at the mall in Grandville,MI. I planned to visit Macy’s, I didn’t even know there was a FP there. I really wanted to see the Borough bag in person. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of course we took the opportunity to look at other items we liked. I was carrying my FP Madison shoulder bag. Dd also had a small FP Coach. As the SA showed me items, I mentioned that I had this or that (several Phoebes, etc…)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] DD found a mini skinny she liked, but I thought $38.00 for a coated canvas mini skinny was more than I wanted to pay, especially since I know there was JUST a PCE that expired. I mentioned the PCE, and the SA said there’s one coming out the 7th. I said it won’t matter because I never get them anyway, so she pulled me up on the computer and verified my information.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]I then mentioned that I never get PCE. But I seldom buy FP because I don’t live near one. I said that if they sent me PCEs I might chance mail ordering more. I also said I wished they made plus size clothing because I’d love to buy those items (and would).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Then the amazing comment: Coach PCE and other decisions come from corporate (yep, knew that). You don’t get PCE because Coach corporate is trying to move in the direction of the young, hip, fashion forward customer who carries Prada. They want to encourage their business.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I said well, I guess they are pushing away their loyal customers. (That means not the 50+ fat lady who is not fashion forward.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oh that’s surely not the intent, she replied. EXCUSE ME you just said in almost so many words, “They don’t want to encourage your business.” Sounds pretty clear to me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Needless to say we left without the mini skinny and without the Borough. It will be a long day before I am back.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]signed not FF lady who doesn't carry Prada. And I'm pretty sure I will NEVER get PCE.

added: I hope that FF Prada lady spends a lot at Coach!
[/FONT]

Last edited:
This is the sad truth...
Designers are becoming more and more choosy when, in my very humble opinion, some of them have no reason to. Coach, you are not Hermés. Please realize that. You make cute purses/accessories, but you aren't a premier designer.
I'm sorry you had to go through this experience :sad:

xx, Dylan

It's so sad but that's how most brands are, they target towards teens and 20's because they are the most influenced and trend conscious :/ I'm sorry you had a bad experience but you rock so don't let one SA ruin your swagger :smile:

Wow! Sorry OP that this happened to you. Coach use to be my go to brand for purses, but now I am more into LV and Chanel. I think that it is a big mistake for Coach to alienate a core group of customers for a group that is not really into the brand.

I am a purse fanatic. However, what I noticed is that people buy purses based on prestige or social status. Keep in mind, that if you don't have it, you don't have it. Class, Style, Swagger, or whatever the term that is hot in the streets can not be bought. You can have these attributes no matter what age, size, and demographic you are. I see so many people buying high end items just to feel hot or socially accepted; in all actuality, it does nothing to your over all appearance. True style can not be bought. You ever see women that are put together and they don't have any obvious logos or pretentiousness going on? They have confidence which draws people to them. I can see that in such women as Halle Berry, Charlize Theron, Angelina Jolie, and Erykah Badu. With all of Erykah Badu's wackiness (I love her by the way), the premier designers are attracted to her; i.e. Tom Ford and Givenchy. They consider her a natural beauty. She is confident in her own skin. With that being said you buy what you love as long as it is not hurting anyone.

I was a long Coach devotee before the quality declined over the past thirty years. However, their quality is coming back. I recently bought a British Tan Duffle Bag about a month ago and I love it. I wear it as a messenger bag. I also have high end bags in my disposal and contemporary bags such as Phillip Lim's 31 hour bag in which I get the most compliments on. It is not the bag, it is the confidence and the heart that you portray when you come across people.

Blessings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember this: it is none of your business what other people think of you.

That includes one stupid SA & Coach corporate. I'd be damned if I'd let one minimum wage sales girl make me think I was anything less than fabulous, even if I were old, fat, & in sweats.

Coach cares about nothing other than money. They are a business. Who cares if you never get a PCE, everything ends up on clearance at the outlets or another retailer. Everything. With just a little patience, you can get the items you want at a better price and get it without someone's snotty attitude.

So, as someone else said: don't let her ruin your swagger!

Last edited:
I am a purse fanatic. However, what I noticed is that people buy purses based on prestige or social status. Keep in mind, that if you don't have it, you don't have it. Class, Style, Swagger, or whatever the term that is hot in the streets can not be bought. You can have these attributes no matter what age, size, and demographic you are. I see so many people buying high end items just to feel hot or socially accepted; in all actuality, it does nothing to your over all appearance. True style can not be bought. You ever see women that are put together and they don't have any obvious logos or pretentiousness going on? They have confidence which draws people to them. I can see that in such women as Halle Berry, Charlize Theron, Angelina Jolie, and Erykah Badu. With all of Erykah Badu's wackiness (I love her by the way), the premier designers are attracted to her; i.e. Tom Ford and Givenchy. They consider her a natural beauty. She is confident in her own skin. With that being said you buy what you love as long as it is not hurting anyone.

I was a long Coach devotee before the quality declined over the past thirty years. However, their quality is coming back. I recently bought a British Tan Duffle Bag about a month ago and I love it. I wear it as a messenger bag. I also have high end bags in my disposal and contemporary bags such as Phillip Lim's 31 hour bag in which I get the most compliments on. It is not the bag, it is the confidence and the heart that you portray when you come across people.

Blessings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said!!!

I am so sorry you were treated this way. The SA sounds fairly insensitive. Actually, just pretty stupid making a comment like that to a customer. I would take the comment with a grain of salt. Anyone who would say that to a customer is not the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with!!!

Although, she may be correct. Coach as a company has made some questionable decisions in the past couple of years. I truly hope that is not how they are deciding who gets a PCE.

Again, sorry you experienced that.

Perfectly said.....and Justin Bieber is one of the most perfect examples of this.

[FONT=&quot]I said well, I guess they are pushing away their loyal customers. (That means not the 50+ fat lady who is not fashion forward.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oh that’s surely not the intent, she replied. EXCUSE ME you just said in almost so many words, “They don’t want to encourage your business.” Sounds pretty clear to me.[/FONT]

But, WE are the ones with the money to spend......not the 20 something Prada wanting guppies.