Coach.com won't let me use donated PCE 4 out of stock color bag ...is this right?

smileglu

O.G.
May 2, 2007
Thanks to a kind TPF'er who donated a PCE code to me, I called coach.com early today to order 2 bags (1 in stock online, the other style is available too but not in the color I want). The rep said the color I want will be available on Jan 29th. Since PCE ends on 1/22, I asked if I can order now so I can use PCE. She started looking into it and asking my name, billing address then PCE code.

After she typed it (I can hear her typing on the phone), she asked "Was this code sent to you?" I said "No, A friend gave it to me" She said "Sorry, I can't order this for you. The system will kick the code out because it wasn't being under the code recipient and her billing address". She then gave me 2 ideas (1) get my friend to buy it for me and pay her back or (2) call an FP store and order from them, see if they can override the code thing.

Now, is this true?? Or did I deal with an rep who was not fully knowledgeable on how to override something like this? Should I call again and see if I get a different rep? When I put the code in my mock shopping cart at coach.com the code was accepted so I don't buy the "can't use the code because you're not the original code recipient" Or maybe she really can't do it for something out of stock?? I only called CS because I wanted to pre-order the out of stock bag bag too.

Anyway I plan on calling the FP store when they open in ~ 1 hour. I hope I don't run into issues with ordering this other bag and using the code with them. The only reason I called CS is the nearest FP is 45 min drive and I'd rather my order arrive at my door rather than drive and pick up at FP.. but if that's how it's going to have to be, so be it! I will not be denied the 25% off!!

Thanks advance for your reply.

Hello!

This week I received an email from coach with the 25% off but the email stated that the code was for my use only(just in more customer friendly language). I have never seen this before, so I am not sure what is going on!

Update: I called FP store and a fabulous SA helped me out! I was able to order the out of stock bag with 25% off and free at home shipping! Weee!!!! :happydance:

Just FYI - the PCE card clearly says "this card may not be reproduced OR TRANSFERRED..." so yes, refusing to let someone who isn't the original recipient use the card either wholley or partly is COMPLETELY fair. Coach gives the discounts and they make the rules, and you aren't the person they sent the card to.

Just FYI - the PCE card clearly says "this card may not be reproduced OR TRANSFERRED..." so yes, refusing to let someone who isn't the original recipient use the card either wholley or partly is COMPLETELY fair. Coach gives the discounts and they make the rules, and you aren't the person they sent the card to.

Point taken. This makes me even more appreciative of SAs willing to "bend the rules" per se and TPFers who donate their PCEs.

Coach.com's system must not be stringent then if PCE codes are let through even if the buyer is not the code recipient.

My girlfriend did not get a pce and neither did I but our in store SA GLADLY gave us both the discount today. She offered after we told her we were just looking. I think the PCE acts as a customer service to active customers, meaning ones who do alot of window shopping, stop in the store to chat and admire the product and occasionally purchase. JMO

My girlfriend did not get a pce and neither did I but our in store SA GLADLY gave us both the discount today. She offered after we told her we were just looking. I think the PCE acts as a customer service to active customers, meaning ones who do alot of window shopping, stop in the store to chat and admire the product and occasionally purchase. JMO

It's also a situation where a phone rep working directly for Coach and not in a store has to obey the rules set down in special offers or what's told to her by her bosses. An SA or store manager is judged based on performance and sell-through at their own particullar store and can bend or ignore the rules if it means another sale. A phone sales rep has to toe the company line.

I wonder if the original recipient of the PCE will be penalized in any way in the future for sharing her PCE. What if I share my PCE and then I never get another one because of it? Maybe they just don't want people selling them on ebay like they have in the past. If the point is to make sales, then they shouldn't care who uses it.

I know a lot of people get the discount as long as they mention the PCE because they don't want to discourage you from buying. I wouldn't want to pay full price if I knew other people were getting a discount. When I had a $100 off of $300, they were more than willing to give me 25% if i spent more than $400 instead of the $100 off.

It's also a situation where a phone rep working directly for Coach and not in a store has to obey the rules set down in special offers or what's told to her by her bosses. An SA or store manager is judged based on performance and sell-through at their own particullar store and can bend or ignore the rules if it means another sale. A phone sales rep has to toe the company line.
I agree a SA would have more descretion to allow a discount. JMO I think it is a good will jestor for establishing a future relationship with customers.

I had this problem last year with a call in order. I used the code to order online for a different item and didn't get the item I wanted at that PCE time (got it at the next PCE time). Both the person who donated the PCE and myself have gotten the PCE's every time after that. I know that the card says non-transferrable but many people have done it with calls to Jax and been allowed. It depends on who you get on phone. It was nice of the rep to give you options like call a local SA. I didn't think to do that at the time. I think they should just be consistent. Either no one is really allowed to transfer or we all are.

I had this problem last year with a call in order. I used the code to order online for a different item and didn't get the item I wanted at that PCE time (got it at the next PCE time). Both the person who donated the PCE and myself have gotten the PCE's every time after that. I know that the card says non-transferrable but many people have done it with calls to Jax and been allowed. It depends on who you get on phone. It was nice of the rep to give you options like call a local SA. I didn't think to do that at the time. I think they should just be consistent. Either no one is really allowed to transfer or we all are.

Did CS tell you you couldn't buy it on the telephone when you placed your order, or was it just canceled and sent an email?

Did CS tell you you couldn't buy it on the telephone when you placed your order, or was it just canceled and sent an email?

CS from Jax said I couldn't use the code. I then placed an order with the same code online and it went through. It was very frustrating because I was reading on here all of the transfer of codes and what people were ordering thru Jax with their borrowed codes. Not a problem since because I have gotten all PCE's after (and so has my husband).

I wonder if the original recipient of the PCE will be penalized in any way in the future for sharing her PCE. What if I share my PCE and then I never get another one because of it? Maybe they just don't want people selling them on ebay like they have in the past. If the point is to make sales, then they shouldn't care who uses it.

Someone posted on here not long ago about how they suddenly stopped getting PCE's and wondered if it was because they had repeatedly gave her past ones away to others. If you enjoy using the discount I wouldn't risk losing them by giving one away. It says right on them they can't be transferred and I am sure the code has some sort of tracking attached to it so they can tell who it was sent to.

Someone posted on here not long ago about how they suddenly stopped getting PCE's and wondered if it was because they had repeatedly gave her past ones away to others. If you enjoy using the discount I wouldn't risk losing them by giving one away. It says right on them they can't be transferred and I am sure the code has some sort of tracking attached to it so they can tell who it was sent to.
The last time I used mine, they didn't even ask for the code - they looked me up in the computer to see if I was on the list and that was on a phone order to a store.