Coach Color Matching

LaVinCoach

Jun 2, 2021
Hi everyone!

It can definitely be a challenge to find the right shade to rehab a bag sometimes (looking at you periwinkle). Made even worse when your closest hobby store doesn't sell many different shades and you're left to rely on online color matching :confused1:

So I thought it would be helpful to make a thread where we could post the products and color shades that we use on our worn bags as a little reference library.

Bone colored bag: Folkart acrylic matte paint in "Linen" (#420)
Before: Bone bag before.jpg After:Bone bag after.jpg

Red* colored bag: Folkart acrylic matte paint in "Black Cherry" (#224)
Before: Red bag before.jpg After: Red bag after.jpg
*I'm not sure if this shade of red has a different name than other shades of red, but it is a dark red. I have another coach bag that is a much brighter shade of red. I have included a picture of the two red shaded bags below for comparison.
Red comparison.jpg

I hope this thread can be helpful! Best of luck to everyone in their rehab adventures :smile:

Periwinkle match! Courtesy of @MrsGAM

Products: (mixed in with leather CPR)
A142E94C-235C-454F-95EE-FAFFD51F818F.jpeg
Saphir creme surfine in bleu Jean
Saphir creme renovatrice in egg shell
Angelus leather paint in purple and taupe

Before:
43E34536-9940-4C86-A228-0EB9B705FEDF.jpeg

After:
3D663ECE-2717-45EE-9CD4-DBFF4E30A464.jpeg

since periwinkle saturation may vary between bags, it is difficult to say the exact measurement of each color used as each bag may vary. I did find that the major color I used was the blue jean saphir creme surfine, followed by the angelus purple. I only used a small amount of eggshell and an even smaller amount of the taupe. I found the taupe made it look very brown so I had to add more of the blue and purple, but I feel it does need some darkening agent. I think the angelus grey-taupe color may be a good alternative, but I haven’t used this combination.

the color will look a bit lighter when mixed with the leather cpr but it will dry darker. I used thin layers of the mix and blotted with a damp painters sponge to not lose the texture of the bag. I let each layer dry for 24 hours before applying the next layer. The after picture shown here is after 3 layers.

best of luck!

Last edited:

View attachment 5126409

Before:
View attachment 5126410

After:
View attachment 5126414

since periwinkle saturation may vary between bags, it is difficult to say the exact measurement of each color used as each bag may vary. I did find that the major color I used was the blue jean saphir creme surfine, followed by the angelus purple. I only used a small amount of eggshell and an even smaller amount of the taupe. I found the taupe made it look very brown so I had to add more of the blue and purple, but I feel it does need some darkening agent. I think the angelus grey-taupe color may be a good alternative, but I haven’t used this combination.

the color will look a bit lighter when mixed with the leather cpr but it will dry darker. I used thin layers of the mix and blotted with a damp painters sponge to not lose the texture of the bag. I let each layer dry for 24 hours before applying the next layer. The after picture shown here is after 3 layers.

best of luck!
I cannot tell you how grateful I am for this wonderful info. Thank you!! Your bag is lovely!

I do! It is drying from the dunking. I have not applied conditioner yet... Amazon was supposed to deliver that yesterday. ;)

I am disappointed that I did not notice in the listing that the strap isn't authentic.. Close but the clasp and width is off. I ordered new clasps from The Buckle Guy. Also, the tag had delaminated on one side. That wasn't mentioned in the listing. I bought the bag from Tradesy. They said I could file a misrepresentation claim but then I'd have to send the entire bag back, which I don't want to do.

EDIT:
The bag looks really dirty and a tad darker in the first three pictures which I noticed after posting. It doesn't look that dirty in person! The back of the bag, you can see the discoloration but it looks far more prominent in the picture.

IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5303.jpg

IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

Last edited:
I do! It is drying from the dunking. I have not applied conditioner yet... Amazon was supposed to deliver that yesterday. ;)

I am disappointed that I did not notice in the listing that the strap isn't authentic.. Close but the clasp and width is off. I ordered new clasps from The Buckle Guy. Also, the tag had delaminated on one side. That wasn't mentioned in the listing. I bought the bag from Tradesy. They said I could file a misrepresentation claim but then I'd have to send the entire bag back, which I don't want to do.

EDIT:
The bag looks really dirty and a tad darker in the first three pictures which I noticed after posting. It doesn't look that dirty in person! The back of the bag, you can see the discoloration but it looks far more prominent in the picture.

View attachment 5159863

View attachment 5159864

View attachment 5159865

View attachment 5159866

Good thing you mentioned that the bag looks darker in the first few pics, I was about to say I don't think my recommendation would help :doh: The last picture looks similar to my bone bag so I think it'll work, but your bag looks pretty great already! Are you using it to cover up some worn edges or are you planning of doing a total color refresh?

Good thing you mentioned that the bag looks darker in the first few pics, I was about to say I don't think my recommendation would help :doh: The last picture looks similar to my bone bag so I think it'll work, but your bag looks pretty great already! Are you using it to cover up some worn edges or are you planning of doing a total color refresh?

I just put leather conditioner on (Leather Honey) and I feel confident in saying it will need a color refresh. The color is just not uniform enough. I'm very new to rehabbing and am excited to learn about products and techniques.

Attachments

• IMG_5309.jpg
    IMG_5309.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 17
  • Love
Reactions: LadaZuri

EDIT:

View attachment 5159863

View attachment 5159864

View attachment 5159865

View attachment 5159866
I don't see any problems with the strap. A station bag normally has a narrower strap than a Willis. Straps are interchangeable. Coach also made straps with dogleash clasps, like that one.

View attachment 5126409

Before:
View attachment 5126410

After:
View attachment 5126414

best of luck!

Great idea for a thread @LaVinCoach !