Clutches

Jujuma

O.G.
Nov 9, 2009
I'm going from a rather large everyday bag and giving a clutch a try. I was just wondering if anyone uses a clutch on a day to day basis and how it works out? Have any hints? It doesn't have a strap of any type so I stuck keys on the zipper (I have a little thing I hook on the bag that stays on and my keys hook to that so it's pretty easy to grab). I really got the clutch for summer when I carry a large tote so could just take the clutch out when doing errands. It was calling to me so i went thru my purse and realized most of what I cart I never use and only have in case of "emergency". So, any clutch users out there? If so what do you like about them and most of all any hints? TIA

The only clutches I have that are probably suitable for the daytime are a lizard Gucci Hysteria (although it the small version) and a MM vintage python wide-ish envelope because they are a) soft, so easy to grab b) has a wrist strap so I know I won't drop it and c) the size of a normal cosmetics bag or larger, because I carry more than a key, an eye pencil and a CC around with me.

Still no clutch could be for everyday unless I changed my job completely

Jujuma said:
I'm going from a rather large everyday bag and giving a clutch a try. I was just wondering if anyone uses a clutch on a day to day basis and how it works out? Have any hints? It doesn't have a strap of any type so I stuck keys on the zipper (I have a little thing I hook on the bag that stays on and my keys hook to that so it's pretty easy to grab). I really got the clutch for summer when I carry a large tote so could just take the clutch out when doing errands. It was calling to me so i went thru my purse and realized most of what I cart I never use and only have in case of "emergency". So, any clutch users out there? If so what do you like about them and most of all any hints? TIA

I used 2 clutches and a chain wallet over the summer and have to say I love using them.

One clutch was biggish and a fold over clutch that fit my keys, wallet, receipts bag and coin purse. I simply fit it under my arm and did what I had to do.

The other clutch was a woven straw one and although I found it small, I attached a metallic shoulder strap (taken from a smaller evening clutch). That made it hands free. This was a flap clutch.

I am looking to add another daytime clutch but am currently trying not to buy any bags for the next 10 months or so. :smile:

Clutches will force you to carry only he necessities and I found that they added a little dainty-ness to my outfits. I recommend it for anyone willing to go there. Good luck.

Aluxe said:
I used 2 clutches and a chain wallet over the summer and have to say I love using them.

One clutch was biggish and a fold over clutch that fit my keys, wallet, receipts bag and coin purse. I simply fit it under my arm and did what I had to do.

The other clutch was a woven straw one and although I found it small, I attached a metallic shoulder strap (taken from a smaller evening clutch). That made it hands free. This was a flap clutch.

I am looking to add another daytime clutch but am currently trying not to buy any bags for the next 10 months or so. :smile:

Clutches will force you to carry only he necessities and I found that they added a little dainty-ness to my outfits. I recommend it for anyone willing to go there. Good luck.

I certainly know what you mean by taking only what you need, but I found a lot of the stuff in my bigger bags I never used. Today is the first day with my new LV large makeup bag/clutch. This morning went very well despite picking up a large coffee/bagel order, normally would of put bagels in my purse (in their bag!), I was able to get them to their location, no spills, while carrying my bag! Off to a strong start!

I don't clutch bags - I like to have my hands free and what do you do when going to the bathroom? However I do have two small bags, one with adjustable strap, and the other one is a wristlet. I take them when going shopping or going out, when I just need my wallet, chapstick and cell phone.

I carry clutches in the day, especially on my teaching days when I have a horse of a book bag and want only the essentials. No issue. Like you, the essentials are truly less than I thought. Something with a wriststrap is nice if you need hands free.

i occasionally use a clutch for work, its about the size of an A4 piece of paper but it does have a wristlet so that's handy too if i need to leave go, mine isn't a label, i bought it at a boutique in Italy and the leather is gorgeous

I certainly know what you mean by taking only what you need, but I found a lot of the stuff in my bigger bags I never used. Today is the first day with my new LV large makeup bag/clutch. This morning went very well despite picking up a large coffee/bagel order, normally would of put bagels in my purse (in their bag!), I was able to get them to their location, no spills, while carrying my bag! Off to a strong start!

Far too often, the tPF system does not alert me of quoted message-responses and alas, I only now saw that you used a clutch and liked it.

I hope the experience was positive enough for you to use a clutch again. If so, please let us know your thoughts. :smile:

*bump*

Found this thread and was hoping that more people would chime in. I've been considering trying to carry a clutch more often during the day (and keeping a tote in my car with extra stuff). Maybe it's the combination of so many years of schlepping so much stuff with kids and now my back simply can't handle much weight. I'm finding myself shying away from larger bags, heavier leather and such because of this.

Does anyone currently use a clutch on a semi-regular/regular basis? If so, how do you use them? What do your days look like and what do you carry? Thank you!

I sometimes use my Mulberry clutch for day. I like it occasionally in summer. If I can fit my iPhone, cards/cash, & lipstick I'm all set. It's more an occasional thing though. I typically have a tote standing by.

I've been eyeing a Balenciaga clutch for this summer.