CLs sold on eBay, buyer says they're fake...

Jun 15, 2009
Hello all,

I've spent the past 8 hours or so going over this in my head and discussing it with a couple of lovely chums. Thought I might open it up to find out what other people might do in this situation :biggrin:

I recently bought a pair of CLs on eBay having had them authenticated on here. When they arrived they were a 0.5 size bigger than advertised. Alarm bells started ringing about the sellers attitude so I decided it would be better to relist than send back.

That it seems was a mistake .... They were bought pretty quickly and I sent them the very next day. The buyer didn't pick them up from the Post Office for a week. That was 2 weeks ago. I had emailed in the meantime checking whether everything was ok - no reply.

Then today I get the email from her telling me that she's had them looked at by an SA at a CL store who has told her they are fake. She has forwarded me emails that she has recieved from the SA that state, and I quote "they look fake" and "good luck getting your money back".

Curiously these emails from the SA were dated the day after she picked them up from the post office. Bear in mind that the post office was in Melbourne Australia and the SA is in London UK. And then she's waited nearly 2 weeks to make contact with me?

I posted them for authentication again on here for my peace of mind, and yup - still all good. The reasons the SA has given aren't really reasons to claim that a CL is fake - such as logo stamp looks wrong, they don't look like the pairs she already owns and so on.

I am planning on calling the store in question tomorrow to ask whether the emails are genuine. I have also said to the buyer that I will honour a refund if I can have an email from the store manager saying that they're fake. That wasn't taken very well at all. The buyer told me it's not her job to prove authenticity - it's mine. Um ..... I thought if she was questionning it??

I've sent her pics of some of my own collection and pics from the collection of another ever so fabulous tpfer (THANK YOU again love!) to try and prove that the stamps on soles do in fact vary but she's not having a barr of it.

I have forwarded links to tpf but this buyer is of the belief that everyone on here is a scammer. Oh yes - she has said that.

I have stated that I will happily provide a refund if she can provide absolute unquestionable proof that they are counterfeit and if they are then returned to me in the same condition as when I sent them.

Right, that's my vent. Have I done the right thing? What would you do?

Hello all,

I've spent the past 8 hours or so going over this in my head and discussing it with a couple of lovely chums. Thought I might open it up to find out what other people might do in this situation :biggrin:

I recently bought a pair of CLs on eBay having had them authenticated on here. When they arrived they were a 0.5 size bigger than advertised. Alarm bells started ringing about the sellers attitude so I decided it would be better to relist than send back.

That it seems was a mistake .... They were bought pretty quickly and I sent them the very next day. The buyer didn't pick them up from the Post Office for a week. That was 2 weeks ago. I had emailed in the meantime checking whether everything was ok - no reply.

Then today I get the email from her telling me that she's had them looked at by an SA at a CL store who has told her they are fake. She has forwarded me emails that she has recieved from the SA that state, and I quote "they look fake" and "good luck getting your money back".

Curiously these emails from the SA were dated the day after she picked them up from the post office. Bear in mind that the post office was in Melbourne Australia and the SA is in London UK. And then she's waited nearly 2 weeks to make contact with me?

I posted them for authentication again on here for my peace of mind, and yup - still all good. The reasons the SA has given aren't really reasons to claim that a CL is fake - such as logo stamp looks wrong, they don't look like the pairs she already owns and so on.

I am planning on calling the store in question tomorrow to ask whether the emails are genuine. I have also said to the buyer that I will honour a refund if I can have an email from the store manager saying that they're fake. That wasn't taken very well at all. The buyer told me it's not her job to prove authenticity - it's mine. Um ..... I thought if she was questionning it??

I've sent her pics of some of my own collection and pics from the collection of another ever so fabulous tpfer (THANK YOU again love!) to try and prove that the stamps on soles do in fact vary but she's not having a barr of it.

I have forwarded links to tpf but this buyer is of the belief that everyone on here is a scammer. Oh yes - she has said that.

I have stated that I will happily provide a refund if she can provide absolute unquestionable proof that they are counterfeit and if they are then returned to me in the same condition as when I sent them.

Right, that's my vent. Have I done the right thing? What would you do?

I could be wrong but, unless she has a REALLY tight relationship with this SA, I don't think SAs would authenticate CLs via email.

I would do this ASAP. I would ask if they are allowed to authenticate CLs (or do it via email).

Actually now it's up to her to prove they are not authentic. As I told you via PM, Ebay/PP will require a third part letterhead.

What a nutjob. :rolleyes: The buyer is the one who needs to prove that they're fake (which she won't be able to if they're authentic) and PayPal won't accept an email from a random SA who can supposedly authenticate CLs in record time via email.

All sounds a bit strange to be honest. I could not imagine a SA authenticating shoes over the internet like that from thousands of miles away. Why did she not bring them to a store near home?

Oh my gosh ... the plot thickens!

Well, I have had some very interesting conversations this evening on the phone to various CL offices ... needless to say I have forwarded the copies of the emails allegedly from an SA for verification as they are categorically not allowed to authenticate items "due to legal reasons" and at the suggestion it was done via email I got a rather horrified response.....

Part of me feels terrible about all of this - if there's an SA out there who thought she was doing the right thing then I certainly wouldn't want to get her into any trouble, but I really do need to know if these really were genuine emails and if so when I have a buyer that doesn't believe tPF - where on earth can I go to prove they're not fake now she has doubts?!

And - I know that's not my responsibility - thank you nilla, luxloves & musthave for that info :flowers: - it's just I don't want someone out there thinking that I did the wrong thing by them if she isn't a scammer and really does think that she's been ripped off.

kgirl I reckon that too.

It is looking more and more likely that she's either a scammer or looking for an easy way out seeing as I said in my last email to her that I'd be happy to accept a return if she can provide a letter from a reputable authentication source that states that they are fake - have I heard back? Erm .... that'll be a no ;)

And Couture Cailin - I know, it is really wierd. The buyer claims she lives in London, has asked some questions from a UK registered eBay account, bought the shoes and asked other questions from an AU registered account and had them shipped to an address in Melbourne.

I don't know for the life of me where she is now, let alone those beautiful shoes! Apparently there's nowhere in Melbourne that will authenticate, so I suppose she could have looked elsewhere, I've even wondered whether she's friends with the SA that sent the email.........

Maybe when I get a reply from my earlier email I'll have more answers ... in the meantime, sleepy time I think, very tired after all this worrying! :sleepy:

I doubt the SA mail was real. And however this might continue it is up to her to provide proof that they are fake... I have a feeling though you might not hear from her anymore!

My best guess would be that she's from the UK and currently living in Melbourne, which is why she has two addresses and accounts. Which means she could very well be friends with the SA from London.

Oh my gosh ... the plot thickens!

Well, I have had some very interesting conversations this evening on the phone to various CL offices ... needless to say I have forwarded the copies of the emails allegedly from an SA for verification as they are categorically not allowed to authenticate items "due to legal reasons" and at the suggestion it was done via email I got a rather horrified response.....

Part of me feels terrible about all of this - if there's an SA out there who thought she was doing the right thing then I certainly wouldn't want to get her into any trouble, but I really do need to know if these really were genuine emails and if so when I have a buyer that doesn't believe tPF - where on earth can I go to prove they're not fake now she has doubts?!

And - I know that's not my responsibility - thank you nilla, luxloves & musthave for that info :flowers: - it's just I don't want someone out there thinking that I did the wrong thing by them if she isn't a scammer and really does think that she's been ripped off.

kgirl I reckon that too.

It is looking more and more likely that she's either a scammer or looking for an easy way out seeing as I said in my last email to her that I'd be happy to accept a return if she can provide a letter from a reputable authentication source that states that they are fake - have I heard back? Erm .... that'll be a no ;)

And Couture Cailin - I know, it is really wierd. The buyer claims she lives in London, has asked some questions from a UK registered eBay account, bought the shoes and asked other questions from an AU registered account and had them shipped to an address in Melbourne.

I don't know for the life of me where she is now, let alone those beautiful shoes! Apparently there's nowhere in Melbourne that will authenticate, so I suppose she could have looked elsewhere, I've even wondered whether she's friends with the SA that sent the email.........

Maybe when I get a reply from my earlier email I'll have more answers ... in the meantime, sleepy time I think, very tired after all this worrying! :sleepy:

There is no CL store in Melbourne AU, CLs are only sold in a couple of department stores there

^I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Did CLs offices reply about the "SAs" email your forwarded to them?

No reply yet from CL offices - I'm really hoping I do get a reply ..... That said, I've been waiting less than 24 hours. I'm just impatient and want this resolved yesterday.

I just feel on a knife edge right now with all the waiting, I swear I've gone 25% more grey since this started....

This is the kind of message I'm getting from the seller:

"Please note that the Purse Forum is not a recognised professional body to authenticate these shoes but rather the Christian Louboutin store itself. I know you don't have access to one in Australia thus I am most happy to enclose correspondence from the Mount St store in London confirming your shoes are counterfeit. I would also advise that the staff employed by Christian Louboutin are the only qualified people to make this assessment. Those who sit behind TPF are not qualified - primarily because they lack training, education and experience.

Finally, I don't have to remind you that it is not only against eBay's policy to sell counterfeit items, it is against the law. These shoes were purchased in good faith because you had listed them as authentic. They are not. Should you choose not to work with me on this, I will be forced to commence the process of filing a fraud report with eBay, PayPal and your local law enforcement if necessary."

The most interesting addition to the tale is that buyer is now saying that she's in London with the shoes and it taking them to Mount St today to get a letter from them to prove they're fake..... Part of me is fascinated to see what happens when she tries after my conversations last night, part of me wants to vomit in case I really did fall for and then sell extremely good fakes (that's how much I'm over thinking this), part of me is worried about the scam potential - could she take a fake pair in and get them "authenticated" in their place just to try and get the cash?

:throwup:

Ugh. This sucks.

I've only seen a few fakes ever that were kind of tricky and the En Passant is not among those styles. I think the 100 has been faked, but I have never seen fakes of the 120. The En Passant in either height was not a super popular style so I doubt that money would be invested in making "extremely good" fake versions of them.