Closed vs Open Rhino

Apr 22, 2008
Hello! I know a lot of us are interested in having closed (vs. open rhino), so I thought this topic might warrant starting a new thread. We can use this thread to start compiling a list of surgeons who specialize or are able to perform closed rhino (vs. open).

Have any of you heard of or had any experience with surgeons that can perform tipplasty, rhino, etc. via the closed technique (no cut on the columnella)?

Hello! I know a lot of us are interested in having closed (vs. open rhino), so I thought this topic might warrant starting a new thread. We can use this thread to start compiling a list of surgeons who specialize or are able to perform closed rhino (vs. open).

Have any of you heard of or had any experience with surgeons that can perform tipplasty, rhino, etc. via the closed technique (no cut on the columnella)?

not sure where you are located but Dr Grigoryants in LA uses a closed approach. Yes tip plasty can be done closed. i have had 2 operations, one closed and one open (for different issues)

Thanks for sharing, guys! I'm actually looking for surgeons who can do closed tip work in Korea or Taiwan.

From reading other threads, it seems like closed surgery is much better for a primary nose job - much less traumatizing to the nose and makes for easier healing etc.

Additional tips appreciated :smile:

Find a skilled surgeon that can meet your goals. Mine are to: debulk my skin, rotate my droopy tip a little, and elevate/support that tip 1-3 mm. But I am a revision patient.

I think you need to read every single review you can, get everything that can be done to you IN WRITING (cartilage graft types use and placement, scar tissue removal, implant type insertion--you want to know it all, step by step...I let some butcher really mess up my nose cuz I didn't ask) before open rhino. Don't go to some quack that will keep you open 4 hours and shove in a rib graft.

Find a skilled surgeon that can meet your goals. Mine are to: debulk my skin, rotate my droopy tip a little, and elevate/support that tip 1-3 mm. But I am a revision patient.

I think you need to read every single review you can, get everything that can be done to you IN WRITING (cartilage graft types use and placement, scar tissue removal, implant type insertion--you want to know it all, step by step...I let some butcher really mess up my nose cuz I didn't ask) before open rhino. Don't go to some quack that will keep you open 4 hours and shove in a rib graft.
agreed. That's what happened to me during my 1st revision. And I ended up with a lopsided nose with humps bumps and assymetry. There's a very useful link someone posted on my thread a few weeks back.

http://www.facialsurgery.com/ClkoffTPgt_01xmh.html

Sharing my point of view as I went thru both. My first was done closed rhino as the doctor told me the scar won't be seen. I did my revision with dr Kim from bk and he did an open rhino.

Initially, was god damn nervous as my skin easily leave scars specially white scar. So when dr Kim told he he would be using opened rhino, I told him can we do closed rhino instead cos I'm afraid it will leave a scar. N if it does not go off.. Everyone will know I did something to my nose!!

However, dr Kim assured it won't leave any scars and no worries it will definitely fade off.
So yeah.. I was damn worried in the beginning but dr Kim was right. The scar can't be seen anymore and I'm 9 months post op. It faded off totally like 3-5 months, can't really recall.

So I came to a conclusion. It will definitely won't leave a scar if the dr Kim did it nicely. As in he is skillful. I'm not promoting for dr Kim if u think I'm one:smile: Im saying this cos the first doctor that did a simple epicanthoplasty on me left 2 white scars when eyes surgery suppose to be the easiest of all! (U may pm me for the doctor if u want as I think it's not very nice to write it in public) And it's so obvious even after 3 years. So I believe in dr Kim cos he assured that his skill is good enough not to leave scar n he gained my trust :smile:

Sharing my point of view as I went thru both. My first was done closed rhino as the doctor told me the scar won't be seen. I did my revision with dr Kim from bk and he did an open rhino.

Initially, was god damn nervous as my skin easily leave scars specially white scar. So when dr Kim told he he would be using opened rhino, I told him can we do closed rhino instead cos I'm afraid it will leave a scar. N if it does not go off.. Everyone will know I did something to my nose!!

However, dr Kim assured it won't leave any scars and no worries it will definitely fade off.
So yeah.. I was damn worried in the beginning but dr Kim was right. The scar can't be seen anymore and I'm 9 months post op. It faded off totally like 3-5 months, can't really recall.

So I came to a conclusion. It will definitely won't leave a scar if the dr Kim did it nicely. As in he is skillful. I'm not promoting for dr Kim if u think I'm one:smile: Im saying this cos the first doctor that did a simple epicanthoplasty on me left 2 white scars when eyes surgery suppose to be the easiest of all! (U may pm me for the doctor if u want as I think it's not very nice to write it in public) And it's so obvious even after 3 years. So I believe in dr Kim cos he assured that his skill is good enough not to leave scar n he gained my trust :smile:
hi there, where did u have your primary rhino done?

and if u can share, why did u have to go for revision. thank you.

------------

Hi.

What Dr. Kim in Brooklyn? Tae Ho Kim?

Did you have plastic surgery with Tae Ho Kim or another doctor? I'm interested in a revision.

I've had closed rhino and for almost a year one of my nostrils was noticeably bigger than the other, my husband says that it's still noticeable but I don't see it. Also there was a limitation to what my surgeon could do with my nose with a closed approach, which left me unsatisfied and now seeking a revision to get the perfect nose I want.

I've had closed rhino and for almost a year one of my nostrils was noticeably bigger than the other, my husband says that it's still noticeable but I don't see it. Also there was a limitation to what my surgeon could do with my nose with a closed approach, which left me unsatisfied and now seeking a revision to get the perfect nose I want.
did u use a nose retainer? I used one for around 2 months every night when I slept and didn't have the nostril issue. Also with closed rhino its really dependent on the surgeon's skill and whether your expected results is suitable for closed rhino. One example are individuals who have a structural deficiency. Anyways all the best and good luck with your revision!

Is it normal to experience blocked/stuffed nose almost 2 weeks after revision?

I had difficulty smelling and my nose tip is still hard and big. I can feel it's because of the middle part which the doctor said septal cartilage is swollen, the left side of my nostril is more swollen than the right where the incision is.

May it be due to the times of revision i had?? Each and every time it gets more swollen than previous revision.

Others recovery is so well, but mine is like way so slow.... my right eyelid blue black is still there, it had not dissipate. Almost 2 weeks now.

Is it normal to experience blocked/stuffed nose almost 2 weeks after revision?

I had difficulty smelling and my nose tip is still hard and big. I can feel it's because of the middle part which the doctor said septal cartilage is swollen, the left side of my nostril is more swollen than the right where the incision is.

May it be due to the times of revision i had?? Each and every time it gets more swollen than previous revision.

Others recovery is so well, but mine is like way so slow.... my right eyelid blue black is still there, it had not dissipate. Almost 2 weeks now.
yeh it happens. I have sinus so it happens to be quite often lol. But I just sleep elevated and tilt head to one side to shift the mucus fluid so i have breahting room in one nose. Ure still freshly post op! should know by now the surgical healing period for rhino revisions. Don't worry my dear just remain calm stay positive and relax. all the best with your recovery!