Clemence - Can It Withstand Rain, Moisture, etc...?

- just a sidenote (maybe it has been discussed already): if you live in a stuffy (humid and warm) climate AND tend to store away your bags for prolonged periods, make sure that that the shoulder-strap (or any loose part with edge-coat) doesn't make contact with the bag itself, as the edge-coat has a tendency to rub off into the leather. Both I & my friend bought pre-owned bags from the same (humid) country, with this same issue (edge-coat streaks) - I was able to wipe it off with conditioner, but my friend had to send it in to H for a clean-up.
If your bag has a non-detachable strap, better you wrap it in acid-free tissue or cloth for storage.
Not related to clemence, but in general.

(P.S. it's not really a 'flaw', just nature's course)

I have a personal experience to add to this. I had my shoulder birkin straps criss-crossed, and the opposite side of the resin was touching each other. Even though my bag was in air-conditioning most of the time, the resin got fused together, and unknowingly, I pulled the straps apart, and broke the resin. Had to take my bag back to my craftsman, to file down the edges and re-apply the resin.

Make sure when storing your bags, wrap the handles separately that they have no contact of resin to resin, or resin to leather. H bags come with the felt protector for the flap. Please use it. Else the resin from the top of the front panel of your bag will touch the interior of your flap. And if you open the flap, you may damage the interior lining of your flap, and it's costly to get a replacement.

Beware of mold too.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovejoysunshine
oh dear :nuts: i think not only am i personally having trouble with this weather, but my bags might too if i am not careful!!

i have in fact had some of my bags ruined simply by being stored in this weather. mold, colour transfers (my bad, i piled one bag on top of another without their dust bag because i thought i'll do that later since i am carrying both rather frequently), colour change (it became yellowish, and i thought maybe it was because it touches my skin regularly when i wonder around with it under my arm in the heat and humidity, but maybe it is storage too)... this is why i am very anxious nowadays to keep too many bags unused and have been selling them off. it is too much stress to wonder what else i have failed to do that i have not realized i have.

where my bags are stored is regularly airconditioined too, but i found that my bags have both drying and humidity related damages!

thanks mrs s!

hm, i wonder if we should start a leather-in-humid-hot-climate thread ala docride :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: bella10
I wanna chime in on clemence
today when I placed a bottle of water in my evelyne and I think it leased causing two patches of blisters on my evelyne , seeping from the interior to the exterior (I almost cried as my evelyne is only 3 months old)
And I started reading on the previous post on how durable clemence should be and even soaked thoroughly
So I took a piece of paper napkin and started squeezing it dry from inside
Amazingly the blisters went away (thank god)
Previously the patches looks like it's bloated up , and the grains looked unclear , after abit of squeezing it went back to normal
Pmg
I can't tell you guys how much I love clemence now lesson learnt
I'm not gonna put drinks in my h bags anymore
:sad:

Reactions: ibeblessed
Clemence is FINE in water. This really needs to not be perpetuated anymore. I have posted multiple times in other threads how my Evelyne survived a total soak with no time to dry off for hours.
Last week a GF whom I bought a Bleu Nuit Clemence Evie for fell into a pool (yes it was funny.....)...the Evie looks new.

It seems that any horror stories in this thread are general and not Clemence-related....weirdly they were never moved to the rain threads.
Somewhere someone did a bad cut-and-paste that said Clemence blisters in water and it just will not die. Honestly....these are handbags. If a drop of water ruins them they are not made for the modern world. That's why box, as much as I love it, is not for everyone. But please stop dissing Clemence!

Clemence is FINE in water. This really needs to not be perpetuated anymore. I have posted multiple times in other threads how my Evelyne survived a total soak with no time to dry off for hours.
Last week a GF whom I bought a Bleu Nuit Clemence Evie for fell into a pool (yes it was funny.....)...the Evie looks new.

It seems that any horror stories in this thread are general and not Clemence-related....weirdly they were never moved to the rain threads.
Somewhere someone did a bad cut-and-paste that said Clemence blisters in water and it just will not die. Honestly....these are handbags. If a drop of water ruins them they are not made for the modern world. That's why box, as much as I love it, is not for everyone. But please stop dissing Clemence!

Glad the accident was funny and no one got hurt! Just curious, was it a chlorinated pool? I know Clemence can handle water, just wondering about the chemicals in the water.... :confused1:

I was confident of clemence till i saw this ad on carousell. Someone has her bag ruined by water seeping through the bag. It really look totally damaged.

Attachments

• img1498632125940.jpg
    img1498632125940.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 458
I was confident of clemence till i saw this ad on carousell. Someone has her bag ruined by water seeping through the bag. It really look totally damaged.
I will echo what others have said: Clemence is tough. I've carried bags in rain and snow without any problems. This green bag looks like it may have been placed on some kind of uneven surface, which caused the indents. The stiff (?) matte parts are a mystery though.

I will echo what others have said: Clemence is tough. I've carried bags in rain and snow without any problems. This green bag looks like it may have been placed on some kind of uneven surface, which caused the indents. The stiff (?) matte parts are a mystery though.

The seller told me it's water damage as her humidifier leak and seeped through the leather

The seller told me it's water damage as her humidifier leak and seeped through the leather

Any leather left to soak in water will get ruined. Unless you are planning to store your clemence bag in a fish tank filled with water, to echo others, clemence is fine in snow and rain. Even if heavily rained on. Whoever said clemence blisters in rain was wrong.

Any leather left to soak in water will get ruined. Unless you are planning to store your clemence bag in a fish tank filled with water, to echo others, clemence is fine in snow and rain. Even if heavily rained on. Whoever said clemence blisters in rain was wrong.

+1! Not sure what happened to that bag but both my clemence and togo bags have been in rain.... as in heavy downpours and not a drizzle many many times and they are fine.

If you soak a leather bag and leave it on an uneven surface, or leave it full of items, it's going to stretch and conform to whatever it's touching. This is, in fact, one way leathermakers shape bags. My Evie that got soaked started to mold itself around the items in the outside pocket, but I removed them in time that the marks were not permanent.