Clearing your closet

Handbag_Whore

Dec 13, 2009
There's loads of items in my wadrobe and drawers that I know I will never wear because I don't feel good in them or because they're slightly out of date but bringing myself to throw them away is really difficult because some were bought just last season and it feels a shame to throw away good quality clothes just because I've gone off them. Trouble is whenever I open my closet i see the same pieces time & time again and so it makes getting dressed difficult!

I've considered selling them on ebay but it seems hard to make money back that way. I've thought about giving them to a friend...

What do you guys do?

I usually give the higher end items to my sister or friends, everything else I donate to Goodwill or a local woman's shelter. Suits, I specifically donate to Dress for Success.

I thought about doing ebay or consignment, but don't feel like going through the consigment or ebay process.

I have made a pact with myself that if I pull something out and I decide not to wear it because it doesn't look cute or I don't like it (unless it's the wrong thing for the weather, doesn't go with my shoes, etc.)- it is leaving the house. I usually sell anything I can get money for on ebay (J.Crew items do particularly well, so do other big name brands), or I give it to a relative/friend I know will want it if it's in great condition, or goodwill. No point in keeping it around!

I recently lost weight so the same thing is true about stuff that doesn't fit. No point keeping it around, it is frustrating every time I get dressed to look at stuff I can't wear.

Branded stuff goes on ebay; you wont make the money back as such but you should make some. Stuff that's decent but wont sell goes to charity. Anything worn goes for recycling.

I have made a pact with myself that if I pull something out and I decide not to wear it because it doesn't look cute or I don't like it (unless it's the wrong thing for the weather, doesn't go with my shoes, etc.)- it is leaving the house.

That's a great idea!

For those of you who do ebay, do you find that even out of season items (like shorts during the winter) sell, or do you need to hold onto them until spring?

Generally, I hold on to out of season items. I tried to sell a really nice J Crew coat for $50 over the summer and had no bids in spite of putting it up for auction twice. I listed it this month starting out at $50 and it was run up to over $150.

I give a lot of my clothes to my niece or donate. I'm too lazy to do the whole ebay thing.
I'm also going to try this again- it will make me re-evaluate the items in my closet.
From Lifehacker:

Putting my clothes in my closet with the hangers reversed once a year. As I pull clothes out, I reverse the hanger. Every year I give away any clothes that I never took out.

Ebay is fun if you do it on the side and list <10 items a week.. otherwise it gets to be really time consuming. Also, I've found that the more I do it, the easier it gets (at first it took me forever to make an auction or pack up items, but now I do it quickly while I'm watching TV or eating lunch).
Branded items (either high end or nicer mall brands like Anthropologie, J Crew, and Ann Taylor) will generally sell for about half of retail if they're in good used condition. If you have something coveted from a past season (that sold out, for example), you can sometimes sell it for more than retail. I personally think eBaying is super fun, but if you don't want the hassle, then I'd take your items to a consignment store so you can get cash and let someone else deal with selling the items.

i think selling on the bay, giving to friend/sister or donation are all very good ideas. a friend of mine was telling me some shelters would support the women to stand on their feet again and i think it's such a great idea if my clothes can help them in some small ways.

I give a lot of my clothes to my niece or donate. I'm too lazy to do the whole ebay thing.
I'm also going to try this again- it will make me re-evaluate the items in my closet.
From Lifehacker:

Putting my clothes in my closet with the hangers reversed once a year. As I pull clothes out, I reverse the hanger. Every year I give away any clothes that I never took out.

I like this idea!

I list the popular brand name stuff on ebay and I've had a surprising amount of stuff sell on quickly. Everything else goes to goodwill or friends/family. Since I plan to be down 3 sizes by next year my entire wardrobe is going to be replaced.

Do you have consignment stores in your area like Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads?? I take all of my goodies there ..some times for cash but mostly for credit. Whatever they do not take or buy ..then goes to Goodwill.