Cleaning

I tried to make a visit to the store today to get some pieces cleaned, but with CV going on, they're supposedly not allowed to handle any jewlery (though I think it's lifted for if you're shopping). So back to the polishing cloths for me. I think the brand I use is Connoisseurs. Probably not as good as what the store can do, but I suppose anything is better than nothing :smile:

Pre-covid, I'd take my Tiffany silver to the 5th Ave store. Cleaning went well. But now with C-19, I've been using my Tiffany silver cleaning cloth to keep things clean and nice. For my other non-Tiffany silver pieces (including for a cuff that I bought at Taos Pueblo), I swear by my Connoisseurs silver polishing cloth. Good luck! :smile:

I use a gentle, silver polish called Twinkle, with soft cotton cloths (pieces of old T-shirts are perfect for this). It's my favorite polish for silver flatware, and for silver and gold jewelry. I also have a horsehair polishing brush that can be used to gently get into crevices. For anything just needing a quick polish, I use a Tiffany silver polishing cloth. After polishing, I wash with dish soap and water, gently using a soft toothbrush as needed, to remove any residue.

In addition to storing jewelry in the provided flannel pouches, storage areas can be lined with several layers of "Pacific Silvercloth", sold by the yard. It's a flannel material impregnated with bits of silver. Those bits oxidize, thereby slowing the tarnishing of silver and gold. Also available are jewelry pouches made of this same type of flannel (which close better than the provided drawstring pouches), as well as "silver protection strips". I’ve bought pouches and strips made by Hagerty.

Using these products, I find my silver and gold quick and easy to maintain. Happy polishing, everyone! :smile:

silver care 2.jpg

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with 1/6 dish soap (since it's pH neutral) and 5/6 water then I finish it off with a polishing cloth. The ultrasonic cleaner makes diamonds so sparkly and makes my jewelry look new. It also helps with stubborn tarnishing on my silver pieces that wouldn't come off if I only use a polishing cloth. I find it does a better job than my local Tiffany store (but that's probably because I spend more time cleaning/paying attention to the finer details). I love my ultrasonic cleaner so much that I bring it on vacation with me even though it takes up a good portion of my suitcase. Lol.

Reactions: viewwing
I have a 4 prong with setting with thicker claws. Does anyone know if it’s safe to use the Ultrasonic bi-monthly?

I just got a small ultrasonic machine and curious on best practices! :smile:

Last edited:
I have a 4 prong with setting with thicker claws. Does anyone know if it’s safe to use the Ultrasonic bi-monthly?

I just got a small ultrasonic machine and curious on best practices! :smile:

Setting wise, you'll be fine. I have 4-prong diamond earrings and Victoria earrings (2 prongs per marquise diamond) and I've had no issues cleaning them 10 min per week for the past 2 years. Just make sure that you're not putting in any delicate stones (i.e. turquoise, onyx, pearls, etc.).

Reactions: viewwing and missD
I use an ultrasonic cleaner with 1/6 dish soap (since it's pH neutral) and 5/6 water then I finish it off with a polishing cloth. The ultrasonic cleaner makes diamonds so sparkly and makes my jewelry look new. It also helps with stubborn tarnishing on my silver pieces that wouldn't come off if I only use a polishing cloth. I find it does a better job than my local Tiffany store (but that's probably because I spend more time cleaning/paying attention to the finer details). I love my ultrasonic cleaner so much that I bring it on vacation with me even though it takes up a good portion of my suitcase. Lol.
Would you mind sharing what ultrasonic cleaner you have? I’m looking to get one soon!

Would you mind sharing what ultrasonic cleaner you have? I’m looking to get one soon!
I use GemORO SparkleSpa. I'm not sure about the exact model since I got it a couple of years ago, but I see some similar ones on amazon. Mine has 3 timer settings (3min, 5min, 10min) and has a heater. It's really cheap considering how much I've used it. I bought mine for $115CAD and it's still going strong.

I generally use warm water and dishsoap and a very soft toothbrush to get in the prongs of my diamond E ring and wedding band. I don't live close to a store so this works for me for the moment

Does anyone have advice specifically for cleaning and polishing Tiffany rose gold? Mine has faded a lot and the color difference next to new pieces is noticeable. I've tried washing with soap and a toothbrush and a (silver, oops) polishing cloth. Are gold polishing cloths much more effective? Or is there another product that people recommend?

Does anyone have advice specifically for cleaning and polishing Tiffany rose gold? Mine has faded a lot and the color difference next to new pieces is noticeable. I've tried washing with soap and a toothbrush and a (silver, oops) polishing cloth. Are gold polishing cloths much more effective? Or is there another product that people recommend?
Oh no...this is terrible news about the rose gold! I vaguely remember reading something about rose gold on a past thread, but I thought it just had to do with shades initially not being the same...didn't realize that it's fading over time! Is this a common occurrence with Tiffany rose gold? I'm worried now because I just got my first two rose gold pieces last year (Peretti Open Heart and T Hoops) and had a few on my Christmas list this year too. I do remember reading issues about Rubedo years ago as well, but thought that was different as well. Yikes! Would you recommend abandoning ship on the rose gold and exchanging for YG if I get more pieces this holiday season?

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm also interested in your question about cleaning rose gold if my current pieces begin to fade!