Cleaning vintage Coach

Hi,
The information you got from the ebay person is correct.
If all your bags have the creed with the glued on serial number (7 numbers - xxx-xxxx format) then they are from the mid 1970's.
If they have the 7 digit serial number as PART of the creed (not glued on) they are probably from later in the 70's thru the mid to late 80's when the serial number changed to xxxx-xxx format.
They look like lovely bags. Let me see if I can find the names of them.
I would definitely try the Lexol Conditioner (which I purchase at Pep Boys Auto Parts) though it's probably available at any auto parts store.
Good luck if you decide to sell. They are really indestructible bags.
these are beautiful bags. I would just use a leather cleaner and moisturizer.

May I ask how you happened upon them?

WELL, believe it or not, i used to go to hamptons as early as the 70's and I KNOW (i was in my 20's yes baby boomer!) i went to the coach store in amagansett (east hampton) but believe me MEMORIES fade!!! the styles were quite simple then and the outlet was just adorable (i don't think it is there anymore just the east hampton one)
i went a lot in the 80's SOOO SOMETIME in that time i picked them up and they wound up in my closet then my mom's closet (she carried one brown a few times but barely) and any wear on them is just from sitting around and old age ....actually i forgot i had them!
i listed one on ebay and thought it was from early 90's until someone emailed me with the info i posted, so i decided to spruce them up and research before giving wrong info to nice new owners! lol

The bag in your second photo (the dark mahogany one with the rigid handles) could be a "Handle Clutch" BUT it depends on the measurements (Handle Clutch is 13 x 7 1/2 x 1 1/2).

(I think there was a larger version which was more like the size of a attache/briefcase and yours looks a little larger).

The 2 in your first photo look like the same bag - are there any differences except color? I love the longer handles. What are the dimensions?

I LOVE the color of the one in front. I would love to know if you ever decide to list them.

:smile:

THANK YOUUUUU yes i will part with them once they are clean. etc......
well i am looking at them now, i have FOUR bags
two are dark brown

BAG NUMBER ONE DARK BROWN(one pictured above the largest one)
the serial number (please excuse me i don't know the proper names and by creed i think you mean coach writing stamped inside in front of pocket?
anyway the number below the writing is also embossed into the leather not added on so must be 80's?)
the number is NO. 632-5937 I THINK hard to read
it is approx 9 1/2 inches tall and 13 inches wide and the handle is six inches across and four inches high
the bottom of bag depth is approx 3 and a half inches
this is the one that needs good cleaning and my husband has the lexol he will give it a try gently!

BAG NUMBER TWO the other dark brown (not shown) is 13 across and 7 1/2 inches high with almost same handle shape as other one six across and 4 high
it is same inside HOWEVER this one has an added stuck on number now i see what you mean it is 040-6236 so must be 70's??
this one is in much better shape especially the inside i hardly think the inside was used at all....must have just been marks on outside from closet etc..

the other two are yes almost identical except in color

BAG NUMBER THREE the tan one was used a bit and has a few pen marks inside but in great shape and has the embossed number 0326-922
it is 13 by 7 and handle rounded is 5 inches high or six if you measure from base of handle

BAG NUMBER FOUR the more orangey tan one is in AMAZIng SHAPE it looks like i bought it this year and has the tag still inside and little cloth bag inside with care instructions and information etc...

all four bags just have slight age wear on corners (i am sure will look great with cleaning)

will post more pix on next post

AND THANK YOU ALL for being so kind to me...i am always on marc jacobs forum and YSL and recently kooba but it is so nice to meet you all here!!!
i am learning so much!

(time to clean the closet!):yahoo:

Last edited:
BAG number one full pic in early part of thread
ry%3D320

ry%3D320

number two smaller brown with pasted on number from 70's
ry%3D320

number three
ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Hello I am stopping in to say hello from the marc jacobs and ysl sections! Need your help!
Thanks in advance for advice! how do you recommend i 'clean' three old vintage bags to get them in good shape for 'gifting' or even sale.
They were never used but somehow got spots on leather ...one is really perfect inside but small 'lines' (see pic) on outside of leather very faint..another looks really scratched inside and out
don't want to ruin them maybe you can steer me to right products thanks!

The leather cleaner and moisturizer sold at Coach stores is really the only thing that should be used on these Classic Favorites. Any other products have the potential to work against the tanning of the bags and damage the leather over time. Good luck!

The leather cleaner and moisturizer sold at Coach stores is really the only thing that should be used on these Classic Favorites. Any other products have the potential to work against the tanning of the bags and damage the leather over time. Good luck!

At one time that may have been true. But it is NOT true now. The COACH products contain silicone which can break down the stitching on the older leather bags - over time.

Lexol does NOT contain silicone. It is the only product recommended by anyone with VINTAGE COACH bags.

Last edited:
At one time that may have been true. But it is NOT true now. The COACH products contain silicone which can break down the stitching on the older leather bags - over time.

Lexol does NOT contain silicone. It is the only product recommended by anyone with VINTAGE COACH bags.

THANK YOU this is great information to know! you guys are the greatest!:yahoo:
i will clean them this week! and will post

Sorry no cleaning advice just a related comment about vintage bags. We were visiting my mother-in-law a couple of weeks back and she showed me two black Coach leather bags from the 80's. The leather was still impeccable and supple to the touch. She said she never conditions them and has never used the dust bags they came with but just hangs them from hooks in her closet. The leather straps were still flawless despite decades of hanging abuse...I was speechless! :amazed:

Sorry no cleaning advice just a related comment about vintage bags. We were visiting my mother-in-law a couple of weeks back and she showed me two black Coach leather bags from the 80's. The leather was still impeccable and supple to the touch. She said she never conditions them and has never used the dust bags they came with but just hangs them from hooks in her closet. The leather straps were still flawless despite decades of hanging abuse...I was speechless! :amazed:

It is amazing but true! I only own older Coach and they really never need anything done to them to look terrific.

I discovered the Lexol Conditioner (and Cleaner) when I "rescued" some vintage bags from ebay sellers.

Some were neglected for years and were not only dirty, but stained and smelly. After giving them a bath and allowing them to dry for days, they really needed conditioning.

The older Coach bags were made to last.

you are so right, they are very strong bags, at least mine are mostly just scratched from not being in protective bags
lexol is amazing we just did an old marc jacobs bag in white and it looks great after the lexol!
:yahoo:

This weekend, I picked up a vintage tote very similar to this one: http://http://www.enokiworld.com/goods/cashinblackcointote.htm

The leather is in pretty good shape but I'd like to clean and "freshen" up the suede inside (it's unlined). I've been reading the forum, and there are some stories about immersing the entire bag and then conditioning it after drying it out. Can I do that? Or will it make the interior crunchy? Can I somehow condition the inside afterwards?

TIA!

This weekend, I picked up a vintage tote very similar to this one: http://http://www.enokiworld.com/goods/cashinblackcointote.htm

The leather is in pretty good shape but I'd like to clean and "freshen" up the suede inside (it's unlined). I've been reading the forum, and there are some stories about immersing the entire bag and then conditioning it after drying it out. Can I do that? Or will it make the interior crunchy? Can I somehow condition the inside afterwards?

TIA!
Follow the washing instructions if you have your bag sans liner and it's all leather. It works great!

I have washed my Coach Winnies - creed #9023 - they are sometimes called Mini-Willis because they look like the Willis (not to be confused with the Murphy.

For cleaning, I turned them inside out and soaked them in water and thimble-size of Dreft detergent. They get dark, so sometimes you can't see what you're trying to clean. Then I turn them rightside out, and clean the outside. I rinse thoroughly then stuff with towels, and change often. For one bag, there was slight odor of perfume, and so when it was finished drying, I sealed it with bag of cofeebeans for a long time. When they're dry, condition, condition.

I conditioned with Coach Conditioner but when it runs out, I'll use Apple instead. The leather is in excellent shape.

The turnlocks were tarnished and I knew Coach replaces them but you can't order over the phone. So whenever I went to the City-That-Has-The-Coach Store, I brought my bag with me, so they could order a replacement turnlock. The turnlock was then sent to my home with instuctions. EASY, to replace.

I have three Winnies - black, brown and tan. They're hard to come by but they fit more than the modern-day Coach Swingpacks.

Questions - Where do you find that Apple Conditioner? And can we buy something to make our leather bags smell like leather again and what's it name? You know, kinda like "New Car Smell" for an old car.

Finally, one of the stores that I went into, I mentioned that I had purchased my Winnie from eBay, whereby she wouldn't order me the turnlock. So if you take your vintage coaches to the Store, say something else about how you acquired it. In my case, I had to wait for another trip to the City-That-Has-The-Coach-Store.

I really appreciate this thread knowing that others have cleaned vintage coach.