Cleaning vintage Coach

Actually, it's the alcohol in the hairspray that removes the ink. However, when trying to remove ink from leather using alcohol (or hairspray), you need to be very careful because alcohol also removes the dye from the leather and you could end up with a very noticeable light spot where the alcohol was applied. :yes:
Oh no ! Thanks for posting, I will be more careful in the future. I think with the fabric too if you use it then the spot of ink can spread !

Hello I am stopping in to say hello from the marc jacobs and ysl sections! Need your help!
Thanks in advance for advice! how do you recommend i 'clean' three old vintage bags to get them in good shape for 'gifting' or even sale.
They were never used but somehow got spots on leather ...one is really perfect inside but small 'lines' (see pic) on outside of leather very faint..another looks really scratched inside and out
don't want to ruin them maybe you can steer me to right products thanks!

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Hi there,

You have two options. Since they are unlined, you can actually wash those bags. The way I do it is use gentle detergent and lukewarm water. Submerge the bags, rinse well, then stuff with white towels to retain their shape and hang up inside to dry. Once they are completely dry you can condition them up with Lexol or Apple.

The other option, which would probably be my first choice, would be to just use a leather cleaner (I use Lexol) and clean them really well, let dry, and then condition. The handles on those bags can get a little floppy if you submerge them and also the little tag on the inside of you bag with the creed number on it may come loose, and those tags are actually quite coveted by those of us who collect vintage Coach bags.

Good luck! :tup:

question.....any help would be appreciated! someone emailed me that these bags above are not from the 90's but in fact from the 70s could that be???
i have no idea how long my mom and i have them but am curious!

here is FYI something an ebay person sent to me is this right?

The zipper has the word "TALON" on it right? This bag also has the serial # on a leather strip attached to the bottom of the creed. These are all indicative of Coach bags made in the 70's. Bags from the 70's and early 80's both have single sided hangtags with "Leatherwear" underneath "Coach", but on an 80's bag, the serial # after the "-" will be only 3 digits rather than 4, which was used in the 70's. Bags in the 90's went back to 4 digits, but have double sided hangtags, and will also have a creed embossed directly into the leather with no leather strip (which was only used in the 70's and possibly the late 60's).

just one bump up in case anyone knows about year these bags are from thx

Hi,

The information you got from the ebay person is correct.

If all your bags have the creed with the glued on serial number (7 numbers - xxx-xxxx format) then they are from the mid 1970's.

If they have the 7 digit serial number as PART of the creed (not glued on) they are probably from later in the 70's thru the mid to late 80's when the serial number changed to xxxx-xxx format.

They look like lovely bags. Let me see if I can find the names of them.

I would definitely try the Lexol Conditioner (which I purchase at Pep Boys Auto Parts) though it's probably available at any auto parts store.

Good luck if you decide to sell. They are really indestructible bags.

:tup:

Last edited:
Hi,

The information you got from the ebay person is correct.

If all your bags have the creed with the glued on serial number (7 numbers - xxx-xxxx format) then they are from the mid 1970's.

If they have the 7 digit serial number as PART of the creed (not glued on) they are probably from later in the 70's thru the mid to late 80's when the serial number changed to xxxx-xxx format.

They look like lovely bags. Let me see if I can find the names of them.

I would definitely try the Lexol Conditioner (which I purchase at Pep Boys Auto Parts) though it's probably available at any auto parts store.

Good luck if you decide to sell. They are really indestructible bags.

:tup:

The bag in your second photo (the dark mahogany one with the rigid handles) could be a "Handle Clutch" BUT it depends on the measurements (Handle Clutch is 13 x 7 1/2 x 1 1/2).

(I think there was a larger version which was more like the size of a attache/briefcase and yours looks a little larger).

The 2 in your first photo look like the same bag - are there any differences except color? I love the longer handles. What are the dimensions?

I LOVE the color of the one in front. I would love to know if you ever decide to list them.

:smile: