Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

I have also joined the ranks of handwashers, with amazing results. For safety measures, I throw in one of those sheets that soak up colour, to protect colour runs. You can also re-fluff flat hems.

hello2703 said:
I have also joined the ranks of handwashers, with amazing results. For safety measures, I throw in one of those sheets that soak up colour, to protect colour runs. You can also re-fluff flat hems.
Re-fluff flat hems? Please, do tell!!

Hi

I hand wash the majority of my collection of Hermes scarves with success, but invariably most scarf washers will have one disaster or another at some point which serves as a useful lesson as you don't make the same mistake twice.

Hermes do not generally recommend handwashing and the care label states Dry Clean Only, however many people do wash their Hermes scarves (HS) the same way you'd wash a silk blouse. Dry cleaning will in the main only serve to seal in any marks and stains, whereas handwashing can remove or lessen marks. Most dry cleaners also flattten the hems by ironing which is not desirable. I've had scarves dry cleaned by Hermes, but the results were nothing to shout about but the cost was!

The Yahoo scarf board covers handwashing of scarves in some depth and generally there are many do's and don'ts and handy hints. However, to keep it brief, I'd say to keep to the following pointers, however handwashing is entirely at your own risk! This is how I wash my HS but it's just a sharing of my knowledge/techinique so no law suits please.

Use a spotless grease free clean plastic bowl, cool to very very lukewarm water, use the miniumum of detergent ie Yves Delorme, Woolite etc and make sure it is completely disolved. Swish the scarf in the water, very gently squeezing and do not rub or wring out. Keep the scarf moving in the water, do not leave to soak or sit. Always use a colour catcher or two in the water. You must throroughly rinse the scarf in cool water several times to remove all the detergent. I wouldn't recommend the use of liquid starch in the water it leaves a residue. Sorry to correct another member here, but to drip dry your HS is not advised! I would NEVER EVER drip dry or line dry my HS, this is fatal for colour run as it runs down the scarf, I made this mistake once and never again. Ideally the scarf should be left to dry to damp between two fresh clean towels. Iron when just lightly damp. DO NOT iron when wet or too damp or you will get colour run/transfer. Iron only up to the hems do not flatten them. Re-instate folds if you like your HS this way.

So this is a very brief summary of washing events, it's a lengthy process and the one ingredient you do need is TIME. The biggest enemy of handwashing HS is colour run. In part this may be due to the water being too warm but some scarves will loose colour and others will not. I find the dark reds, dark greens and dark blues the worst offenders and you are most at risk if the colours border white or another light colour. You will soon learn which scarves of your collection are the most tricky to deal with. Some people add to salt to the water to apparently set the dye but personally I don't do this. As far as I've found it doesn't stop the dye running and if you then get colour run the salt then sets the colour where it shouldn't be. In a colour run emergency isolate the area of colour run on the HS over a bowl and pour very hot water over that area which should loosen the colour run. This is very scary so only really for the bold and again at your own risk!

So I hope this helps some first timers, if in doubt don't go there or go for the safer option of dry cleaning. I still get some scarves dry cleaned it depends what is going on and what needs attention.

Best wishes,

fleursetcarlines.

Sorry me again. Re-fluffing/plumping of hems can be achieved when the scarf is still fairly damp. A lengthy 'like watching paint dry' task but very worthwhile at the end. You just need to get the flat hem between your thumb and forefinger and roll just the hem back and forth gently. This will then ease the hem from flat to a more rounded shape. May take more than one go though.

I've heard of Tie Crafters and they have an excellent reputation for doing an excellent job. I think this is who Hermes use in the USA although I'm not sure. In the UK though I've not found anywhere like this good this yet or I'd certainly be sending some off to save time.

hermesgroupie said:
Re-fluff flat hems? Please, do tell!!

Fleursetcarlines said it all :yes: :yes:

One thing to ad is that it helps if you iron the scarf on a terry cloth towel. I like to steam the hems (iron not touching the scarf), you can see the silk rise up. But as Fleurs said, you need to massage it gently and more than once.

Re ironing the folds, I found that if I just steam the folds (which I like) rather than iron, it gives a better (subjectively) result.

Reactions: Pluim
Thanks ladies for the advice. :flowers: :flowers: Yes, I had a scarf that went to the cleaners it was very disappointing.. It just wasn't the same scarf.:crybaby: :crybaby: The color was faded and the entire scarf came back looking tired..

I hand wash all delicate fabrics and colors in woolite and NEVER have a problem, even if it's suppose to be hand washable only....I think if everyone knew just how horrible dry cleaning chemicals are they wouldn't dry clean anything either....Just so everyone is aware, "dry cleaning" is cleaning without water, it doesn't mean the item stays "dry" it's submerged in a liquid chemical......

Thanks for the tip on tie crafters. I will definitely use them in the future. I just don't have the patience to do it myself. Although I know it would be cheaper!

In Australia:

Blue & White drycleaners in Neutral Bay. Ask for the "hand cleaning" service......this means your scarf will get cleaned on it's own, not with other clothing, and they return it hems plump, folds intact (like the day you bought it!).

i usually send mine to a lovely french laundry in the neighborhood. imo, they do a better job w/ my fine cashmere, silk, chiffon, etc. everything comes back as good as new if not better.

coco-nut said:
My boutique recommends TIE CRAFTERS - tie cleaning, tie alterations,custom made ties, custom ties, scarf cleaning in NYC, and it's the only place I've ever sent my scarves (they've been there for decades.) I send them by mail, and although it's a little expensive, they come back in perfect shape with plump hems.

Of course, that's where I send all of my husband's ties too. They're brilliant and shortening and lengthening ties too.

Wow...thanks coco-nut!:yahoo: I brought one scarf to Royalty Cleaners in Royal Oak, MI and it didn't come out that great and they are really one of the best here in MI.

Baggaholic said:
Handwash with cold water and some mild soap, let drip dry. Use a low heat iron press and avoid iorning the hems! They have to stay round.
This is exactly what I do.:yes: someone told me that dry cleaning can yellow the whites and dull some of the colors.
I have never washed the cashmere ones though:sad: ...I hope they stay clean a long time. Annyone out there clean their cashmere?