Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

dianagrace

Seeking Simplicity
O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
I am about to cry. I was just folding my favorite scarf to put it away and saw that it has a stain on it. I do not know where it came from, I am usually very careful, and I don't know what to do. I have heard that it is not good to send your scarves to the dry cleaners. Can anyone tell me how to clean my scarf? I am so upset about this.

Reactions: lastnametea
dianagrace said:
I am about to cry. I was just folding my favorite scarf to put it away and saw that it has a stain on it. I do not know where it came from, I am usually very careful, and I don't know what to do. I have heard that it is not good to send your scarves to the dry cleaners. Can anyone tell me how to clean my scarf? I am so upset about this.
Call your boutique. Our store will send it out to a cleaner for customers. Or they may recommend a good one to you. Just be careful when picking a cleaner, most of them will smash those hems flat.

Reactions: lastnametea
Thank you Baggaholic , I ran upstairs immediately after you answered and cleaned my scarf with some Woolite. The stain is gone and the scarf seems OK. It is on a towel on the drying rack. Thank you again for your quick reply. :flowers:

Thank you too HG, I am so impatient I wouldn't have been able wait for the store to open tomorrow. I would be awake all night thinking about that stain.

I'm not sure they recommend that you wash Hermes silk. I had a card in my Hermes scarf box that said that you should not wash or get the scarf wet, and to dry clean it.

Also, I have a ten year old Hermes scarf that has been dry cleaned about 4 times and it looks almost new.

Hermes actually used to do rain proof scarves - can you imagine???

Bagg is right, rain will damage the silk scarves - I send mint to a dry cleaner recommended by the boutique - they don't press the hems, and they put the "folds" back in exactly (important if you're collecting AND using them!!).

I'm dreading wearing my new white H scarf - imagine what makeup will look like on THAT - UGH!!!!!

birkinbaby said:
I'm not sure they recommend that you wash Hermes silk. I had a card in my Hermes scarf box that said that you should not wash or get the scarf wet, and to dry clean it.

Also, I have a ten year old Hermes scarf that has been dry cleaned about 4 times and it looks almost new.

I asked my SA and she said handwashing was okay as long as it wasn't in the washer.

Reactions: katriona
I was wondering the exact same thing - didn't want to send them to the dry cleaners and my SA said to.

I think Kristie's exactly right - hand washing is probably less caustic than dry cleaning. They probably just suggest it to avoid liability - good to know someone's had good luck washing them - maybe I won't be scared to wear them after all!

Kristie.F said:
style - you've got to wear them!! they're works of art!!!!

LOL - but I'm scared to! They're so pretty just sitting there - I liked the "framing" thread idea a few days ago. WEAR them? That's just crazy talk!:nuts:

Just kidding.......(maybe)....... but are you going to wear your new white H one? One nice gust of wind = lipgloss.......... (sorry;))

I sent mine to my drycleaner's but she didn't iron the hems back in, which I need to ask of her the next time.

I think you can either dry clean them or handwash them with gentle soap and flat dry them.