Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

I understand this is not a scarf cleaning question per say - but don't know what other thread to use. What do you folks suggest to get the perfume smell out of the orange boxes & tissue ? I have sunbathed the scarfs to remove the smell and this worked great - but I have tried the same with the boxes with little success. I like to store my scarfs in the orange boxes so will have to double up if I can't get rid of the smell. Help, please?

I obviously have no expertise in when washing became safe, but my scarf that bled was this Sangles from 1985. The fushia straps in the center bled. It was probably more of a problem than it would be on many scarves because of the white background.
View attachment 4831216
Fast forward a few decades, and you get this, which looks like a colour run issue (to me anyway).

View attachment 4831224

Hi- I wanted to continue this in the cleaning scarves thread so we don't derail SOTD.

From what have read @Cordeliere, the reds are particularly prone to bleeding. But the scarf that I had problems with was blue and green. For me, anything before 1990 would be suspect and I'd be wary of hand washing. But that's just my own rule of thumb.

@paula24jen - I can't see an enlarged image of that bdG shadow. Does it have color run? I'm going to guess there may be some natural color variations in that tie dye shadow scarf, but don't actually know. ???

I understand this is not a scarf cleaning question per say - but don't know what other thread to use. What do you folks suggest to get the perfume smell out of the orange boxes & tissue ? I have sunbathed the scarfs to remove the smell and this worked great - but I have tried the same with the boxes with little success. I like to store my scarfs in the orange boxes so will have to double up if I can't get rid of the smell. Help, please?

I would empty the boxes and fill them with baking soda for awhile (days or a couple of weeks....) and maybe put them in a plastic bag while the baking soda works on it, then check them again. I believe the boxes are acid free, and so I don't know if baking soda would have any negative effect on them.

I would empty the boxes and fill them with baking soda for awhile (days or a couple of weeks....) and maybe put them in a plastic bag while the baking soda works on it, then check them again. I believe the boxes are acid free, and so I don't know if baking soda would have any negative effect on them.
Thanks @bunnycat. This sounds reasonable & I will certainly give it a try. Nothing to lose since I would never put the scentless scarfs back in these boxes to pick up the perfume smell again.

Reactions: bunnycat
Hi- I wanted to continue this in the cleaning scarves thread so we don't derail SOTD.

From what have read @Cordeliere, the reds are particularly prone to bleeding. But the scarf that I had problems with was blue and green. For me, anything before 1990 would be suspect and I'd be wary of hand washing. But that's just my own rule of thumb.

@paula24jen - I can't see an enlarged image of that bdG shadow. Does it have color run? I'm going to guess there may be some natural color variations in that tie dye shadow scarf, but don't actually know. ???
Lol, BC it’s an actual H scarf still available on the website now. I was talking to my SA about something we’ve discussed on this forum (unpopular H views) and he showed me this and rolled his eyes... it looks like someone washed it and the colour ran, but I don’t mean to offend anyone who likes it of course.

Any suggestions to clean hermes twillies? I have a small stain that is not noticeable at all when on my bag, but I would like to get it out if possible. Thanks.
Hi,
I hand wash my silk scarves including Twillies - with laundress for delicates. I recall, years back, there were a few spots after a Japanese curry lunch on my 90 silk and I blotted those spots with Dawn - rub gently and rinse several times and dry/iron. Viola, all good. I hope this helps. For me, twillies are the easiest to clean versus my cashmere 140.
p/s: But, you will be surprise, no one is going to know how many stains or snags are on my cashmere shawl. For me, again, it gets easier as years go by. :graucho::yahoo:

I bought a scarf off ebay--not a Hermes, a silk Ferragamo which is similar in drape--it reeked, absolutely reeked of perfume. I left it mounded on the dresser for several weeks because I've been busy. There's lots of circulation in the room. I often run a fan at night. For a while when I walked in the room I could smell the scarf. But today I noticed that all the perfume is gone. What a relief that I didn't have to try anything drastic like soaking it in vinegar. Thought I'd pass this along especially since I've tried so many other techniques for ridding scarves of perfume.

I just wanted to post here that I have successfully hand washed (laundress delicate wash) and air dried my H silk tunic. The usual methods described in this thread. I didn't iron it, just ran the steamer on the sides to remove a couple of creases. My main concern was to not have the front and back bleed onto each other - next time, I will put a thin microfiber towel between the two layers while drying.

Not having to DC them makes them a useful staple in my summer wardrobe.

Hi,
I hand wash my silk scarves including Twillies - with laundress for delicates.
A word of caution: The delicate wash is not so delicate in the long run. It contains the enzyme protease which breaks down proteins and should not be used to wash materials like silk, wool and cashmere. (The delicate wash also contains amylase which breaks down starches and lipase which breaks down fats.)