Cleaning Hermes leather with baby wipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

allaboutnice

J'adore Hermes
Dec 16, 2006
After great success with 'Simple' baby wipes after 2 hard days in rainy London, my swift Birkin came up as good as new.

I thought I'd have a go with my vache Liegee Kelly. She is 18 months old now and is used as work bag and gets bashed about a bit - the corners are showing some signs of wear. I photographed all four corners to show the wear. It looks worse than it is due to the close-up.

Here are the initial photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I then used one baby wipe and wiped all over the bag and rubbed fairly hard in the corners.

The next post will show a few hours later after using baby wipes.

Attachments

• beforecleaning1.jpg
    beforecleaning1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 14,693
  • beforecleaning2.jpg
    beforecleaning2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 14,422
  • beforecleaning3.jpg
    beforecleaning3.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 14,702
  • beforecleaning4.jpg
    beforecleaning4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 14,582
Reactions: doublewats
allaboutnice - I had a black mark on the handles of my clemence lindy and showed the SAs at my store. They tut tuted at me but didn't suggest how I could clean it off. I saw the Martha Stewart show on baby wipes, bought some and the mark came off like a treat! Amazing stuff. Can't wait to see what it does on your VL bag.

Here are the results after using baby-wipes, a few hours later, when dry:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am very pleased, again, with the results. The corners are almost completely restored. If anyone was considering Martha Stewart's bag-cleaning tip, then I definitely recommend it, it's worked on swift and VL for me so far.

You need nerves of steel with VL though, immediately after wiping witht he baby-wipes, the corners went very dark - I'll post the pics in the next page.

Attachments

• aftercleaning4.jpg
    aftercleaning4.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 14,523
  • aftercleaning3.jpg
    aftercleaning3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 14,435
  • aftercleaning2.jpg
    aftercleaning2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 14,411
  • aftercleaning1.jpg
    aftercleaning1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 14,524
Reactions: doublewats
These are the four corners immediately following cleaning - don't panic, it recovers gradually over the next few minutes to produces results shown in above post:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Has anyone else had good success with baby-wipes?

Attachments

• during1.jpg
    during1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 14,130
  • during2.jpg
    during2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 14,116
  • during3.jpg
    during3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 14,073
  • during4.jpg
    during4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 14,070
This is such a brilliant tip! :tup: I just bought my first H bag and was worried because it's light and would prolly be a dirt magnet. Thanks for the peace of mind.

*goes off to hoard baby wipes*

WOW -- Ok, I also have a VL with corner issues. I will have to go find the extra baby wipes....

THANK you so much for sharing this neat tip and the very illustrative and helpful photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.