Cleaning Hermes leather with baby wipes

1. Megs and I welcomed our baby boy earlier this month and wanted to share the news with the TPF community. Come say hello to Baby Vaughn!
    Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After great success with 'Simple' baby wipes after 2 hard days in rainy London, my swift Birkin came up as good as new.

I thought I'd have a go with my vache Liegee Kelly. She is 18 months old now and is used as work bag and gets bashed about a bit - the corners are showing some signs of wear. I photographed all four corners to show the wear. It looks worse than it is due to the close-up.

Here are the initial photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then used one baby wipe and wiped all over the bag and rubbed fairly hard in the corners.

The next post will show a few hours later after using baby wipes.

beforecleaning1.jpg beforecleaning2.jpg beforecleaning3.jpg beforecleaning4.jpg
    doublewats likes this.
  2. allaboutnice - I had a black mark on the handles of my clemence lindy and showed the SAs at my store. They tut tuted at me but didn't suggest how I could clean it off. I saw the Martha Stewart show on baby wipes, bought some and the mark came off like a treat! Amazing stuff. Can't wait to see what it does on your VL bag.

3. Here are the results after using baby-wipes, a few hours later, when dry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am very pleased, again, with the results. The corners are almost completely restored. If anyone was considering Martha Stewart's bag-cleaning tip, then I definitely recommend it, it's worked on swift and VL for me so far.

You need nerves of steel with VL though, immediately after wiping witht he baby-wipes, the corners went very dark - I'll post the pics in the next page.

aftercleaning1.jpg aftercleaning2.jpg aftercleaning3.jpg aftercleaning4.jpg
    doublewats likes this.
  4. That is so effective, I wonder if it's because baby wipes have a little oil in them that feeds the leather

5. These are the four corners immediately following cleaning - don't panic, it recovers gradually over the next few minutes to produces results shown in above post:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has anyone else had good success with baby-wipes?

during1.jpg during2.jpg during3.jpg during4.jpg
  6. Will any kind of baby wipes work?

7. This is such a brilliant tip! :tup: I just bought my first H bag and was worried because it's light and would prolly be a dirt magnet. Thanks for the peace of mind.

*goes off to hoard baby wipes*

8. Wow!! that is really effective, middle bit looks a bit scary though.
    So do Simple do baby wipes?? I shall have to get some, just in case.

9. Thanks for sharing the tip ! Didn't know it can do such little wonders ! :smile:

10. Definitely works for me too! It works nice on box leather as well.

11. Yup, good ol' baby wipes have done the trick for me in the past! I can't think of anything better to clean my bags with.:tup:

12. thanks for sharing this wonderful tip!!!

13. WOW -- Ok, I also have a VL with corner issues. I will have to go find the extra baby wipes....

THANK you so much for sharing this neat tip and the very illustrative and helpful photos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.