Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

I have a few non HS scarves, I will toss in washer to see if the hot water will soften , will report back , the silk is similar but not the dyes

Thank you I am motivated to try and soften my non HS, good COVID project, thanks for the idea

My REAL goal is I want to FROISSE a scarf - permanently wrinkled like in the MENS collection, but I have been lazy

YES honestly I have been in DENIAL about boiling water since I am a klutz, I can see getting into trouble with that .... that is just me...

Found this cool site - they sell a silk softener - " After dyeing, washing and rinsing, add 1/4 cup to a washing machine load, (or 1 teaspoon per gallon). Agitate 10 minutes in hottest water and rinse in warm water. "

https://www.dharmatrading.com/chemicals/milsoft.html

There are lots of useful FAQs

It is a fairly technical site, I got lost in citric acid, fixatives (increase color fastness) and mordants (prepare fabric to absorb dye, removing size ???) - which are more used when dying -but you want to soften not dye
Oh this product looks interesting! It’s like Downey for scarves! But it has a scientific name (Ceranine K) so it sounds much more professional. Thanks!

I have a few non HS scarves, I will toss in washer to see if the hot water will soften , will report back , the silk is similar but not the dyes

Thank you I am motivated to try and soften my non HS, good COVID project, thanks for the idea

My REAL goal is I want to FROISSE a scarf - permanently wrinkled like in the MENS collection, but I have been lazy
I look forward to your test reports, thank you!

Good luck with your future froisse attempts. I just love COVID scarf projects!!!!

I will leave this here for now - on various fabric chemicals FIXATIVES, WASH, SOFTENERS. Hermes uses commercial equivalents .. Their process - see what little they say in all their YOUTUBE videos is applied to raw silk - wash, print, steam , wash ...
Ignore the metiers videos where the wash steam is not done.

The interesting bits I noticed are
1. RETAYNE - FIXATIVE - treated fabrics must be washed in COLD water
2. MILSOFT - SOFTENER - leaves a residue on the fabric
3. SYNTHRAPOL - WASH - use 140 deg F water - to me that is HOT
4. MODERN washers eg FRONT LOADERS should not be used , water is not HOT enough, or there is not enough water pressure - do it by hand

If you want to soften a scarf, depends on how Hermes treated it to begin with ...

I will leave this here for now - on various fabric chemicals FIXATIVES, WASH, SOFTENERS. Hermes uses commercial equivalents .. Their process - see what little they say in all their YOUTUBE videos is applied to raw silk - wash, print, steam , wash ...
Ignore the metiers videos where the wash steam is not done.

The interesting bits I noticed are
1. RETAYNE - FIXATIVE - treated fabrics must be washed in COLD water
2. MILSOFT - SOFTENER - leaves a residue on the fabric
3. SYNTHRAPOL - WASH - use 140 deg F water - to me that is HOT
4. MODERN washers eg FRONT LOADERS should not be used , water is not HOT enough, or there is not enough water pressure - do it by hand

If you want to soften a scarf, depends on how Hermes treated it to begin with ...
Thank you! Shame about modern washers!

Thank you! Shame about modern washers!
I have been whining about modern washers and dishwashers for years, crying in my teacups …
ok, being green is good, BUT a modern washers use less water, lower water pressure, and soaps are less effective - chemicals are less harsh
I wind up washing the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher ….
And don’t get me started on how I hate my front loader washer , very finicky

I have been whining about modern washers and dishwashers for years, crying in my teacups …
ok, being green is good, BUT a modern washers use less water, lower water pressure, and soaps are less effective - chemicals are less harsh
I wind up washing the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher ….
And don’t get me started on how I hate my front loader washer , very finicky
Preach. Right there with you!! Not enough water at all in my washer. Even when I chose to do the “deep water” function it still is pathetic. And I also have to wash my dishes to wash my dishes :annoyed:

Preach. Right there with you!! Not enough water at all in my washer. Even when I chose to do the “deep water” function it still is pathetic. And I also have to wash my dishes to wash my dishes :annoyed:
AND THE WORST .... modern washers have drains at the very bottom - you cant drain them unless the washer is on a $300 pedestal

My old washer seemed fine - it coped without being drained, and cleaned - with QTIPS- every week - I have a complete set of dentist tools - with fine needle tips - to clean my current washer - and gallons of bleach, vinegar to clean the front loader gasket that always has quite an odeur ...

I am all for green til you go after my washer LOL

Anyone has tried hand washing 140 cashmere/silk scarf with Laundress detergent?
Yes do all mine with Laundress Signature Unscented Every Day Laundering. Used to use their cashmere soap but it got hard to find.

Now it’s one of several brands in rotation.

Haven’t had any problems so far.

Everything gets washed separately in body temp water then rinsed many times until the water runs absolutely clear. It’s a fair bit of work but my shawls, & probably more important my husband’s who is a bit of a klutz are just fine.

It’s a lot of work but the best way I know to be sure they will survive.

Good luck!

Yes do all mine with Laundress Signature Unscented Every Day Laundering. Used to use their cashmere soap but it got hard to find.

Now it’s one of several brands in rotation.

Haven’t had any problems so far.

Everything gets washed separately in body temp water then rinsed many times until the water runs absolutely clear. It’s a fair bit of work but my shawls, & probably more important my husband’s who is a bit of a klutz are just fine.

It’s a lot of work but the best way I know to be sure they will survive.

Good luck!

Great! I just bought their wool and cashmere shampoo, will try out and see how it goes. Thanks!

Can I ask how did you dry them? Did you wring the water out?

I made my first attempt to get 140 shawls online (I bought 2!) and it arrives with some kind of smell and very much want to wash them prior to wearing them. Hmm... wonder should I air it and wear a couple of times first before washing it. :angel:

Attachments

• l-epopee-d-hermes-shawl-140--243691S 17-flat-1-300-0-1700-1700-q99_b.jpg
    l-epopee-d-hermes-shawl-140--243691S 17-flat-1-300-0-1700-1700-q99_b.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 23
  • les-12-leopards-shawl-140--243762S 08-flat-1-300-0-1700-1700-q99_b.jpg
    les-12-leopards-shawl-140--243762S 08-flat-1-300-0-1700-1700-q99_b.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 23