Cleaning a Brightly Colored Vintage Coach

Funeral

O.G.
Aug 2, 2010
Hello, TPF!

I recently procured a beautiful, vintage Coach purse from Goodwill. I will have the purse authenticated one day, but from what I can see (according to TPF and eBay guides regarding authentication), the purse is authentic. But, I digress.

Anyway, I am wondering how I can clean the purse up! The leather is glove-tanned cowhide, and the interior is sueded (unlined). I can see dark marks (stains) on the exterior, as well as a large, light area, likely to be from water damage. The interior is fine, just a little dusty. Would I carry the purse as-is? Absolutely! The stains and the water damage aren't ridiculously prominent, but if I can salvage the purse and give it a good cleaning, all the better! The reason I couldn't say no to the purse was because of the color, a beautiful and rich shade of lagoon/teal. And for $12? Too perfect.

The color is my primary concern. Cleaning guides I've read (on TPF and elsewhere) have only dealt with darker (i.e., black and brown) colored purses, but my purse is a brighter color. I am completely interested in rehabilitating and reviving the purse, but only if I can be sure I won't heighten its present injuries.

What is the safest method of cleaning my new (old) Coach? Is there anything I can try at home? Are there products I should purchase? What would you do if you were in my shoes? I would prefer to avoid a cobbler (because my experiences with leather shoes have not been particularly glowing), but I know I must have more options. Anything I can do at home would be fantastic, but I am certainly willing to invest some money into this project.

Any help would be extremely appreciated (and I hope I posted this in the proper place!). Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be posting before and after pictures soon! Thanks, everyone!

thanks for making this thread bc i am wondering how to clean my yellow vintage chanel which is quite dirty

You're welcome! Hopefully someone will help. I think I'm considering giving my Coach a bath and seeing what happens, but I'm really hoping to gather some advice from others who have some experience with cleaning brightly colored purses. We'll see!

Hello, TPF!

I recently procured a beautiful, vintage Coach purse from Goodwill. I will have the purse authenticated one day, but from what I can see (according to TPF and eBay guides regarding authentication), the purse is authentic. But, I digress.

Anyway, I am wondering how I can clean the purse up! The leather is glove-tanned cowhide, and the interior is sueded (unlined). I can see dark marks (stains) on the exterior, as well as a large, light area, likely to be from water damage. The interior is fine, just a little dusty. Would I carry the purse as-is? Absolutely! The stains and the water damage aren't ridiculously prominent, but if I can salvage the purse and give it a good cleaning, all the better! The reason I couldn't say no to the purse was because of the color, a beautiful and rich shade of lagoon/teal. And for $12? Too perfect.

The color is my primary concern. Cleaning guides I've read (on TPF and elsewhere) have only dealt with darker (i.e., black and brown) colored purses, but my purse is a brighter color. I am completely interested in rehabilitating and reviving the purse, but only if I can be sure I won't heighten its present injuries.

What is the safest method of cleaning my new (old) Coach? Is there anything I can try at home? Are there products I should purchase? What would you do if you were in my shoes? I would prefer to avoid a cobbler (because my experiences with leather shoes have not been particularly glowing), but I know I must have more options. Anything I can do at home would be fantastic, but I am certainly willing to invest some money into this project.

Any help would be extremely appreciated (and I hope I posted this in the proper place!). Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be posting before and after pictures soon! Thanks, everyone!
I think I may be answering this too late for you since I think you've now discovered the REhab and REscue thread over in Coach? Your bag should clean up easily but post photos over there if at all possible and read that thread even though I know it's a huge amount of information. It will help a lot !!
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club-624452.html