Cleaned My Handles that had Light Patina

hrhsunshine

Truly Addicted
O.G.
Dec 22, 2010
Hello All!

I got my beautiful Magenta City a little while ago but (per the ad) she had LIGHT patina on the handles. No darkening in color at all. They looked stunning and like new. However, I could definitely feel the stickiness. I tried to clean them gently with a leather spot remover and that helped a bit. However, there was still a little bit of stickiness left on the handles.

To truly be rid of any stickiness, I decided to give the Applecare Leather Cleanser a try. I used just a little cleanser and gently cleaned the handles. They felt amazing after they dried! No stickiness at all.

I know that some members have had negative results with the cleanser being too harsh and lifting too much color etc. I didn't notice anything excessive when I tried. I didn't rub for too long and I applied no pressure.

I think what helped my results is that perhaps the patina on my handles was truly very light. The handles have great glazing on them and I'm guessing the stickiness/patina was very superficial and nothing really penetrated into the leather yet.

I'm pretty picky about my handles and I had to do something to eliminate ANY feeling of stickiness. I feel confident that the cleanser did its job and I will be happy with my handles in the long run.***

After the handles dried overnight, I applied FHO and they feel like new. YEA! :biggrin:

***Do test on a discrete spot. All bags are different as we can see from some negative results with the cleanser. I'm just thankful that it worked well for me.

Hello! CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BEAUTY! :smile: I too just received my dream bag, a 2005 magenta city, but my handles are quite warmed :sad: (not as lucky as you.) I bought the LMB luxury cleanser plus, yet it seemed to do nothing! Somebody told me not to use the apple cleaner on the brighter colors... I'm soo confused. This is my very first balenciaga and I don't want to hurt her... Any words of advice?! Thanks a bunch?

Hello! CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BEAUTY! :smile: I too just received my dream bag, a 2005 magenta city, but my handles are quite warmed :sad: (not as lucky as you.) I bought the LMB luxury cleanser plus, yet it seemed to do nothing! Somebody told me not to use the apple cleaner on the brighter colors... I'm soo confused. This is my very first balenciaga and I don't want to hurt her... Any words of advice?! Thanks a bunch?

congratulations on your 05 magenta! Wow, what a great find for your first Bal!!

Unfortunately, all the products are just so unpredictable on the leather. I would say if you want to try the applecare cleanser, try it on the bottom panel in a little corner spot. See what happens with gentle cleansing. I literally cleansed for about 20-30 seconds...not like I was rubbing the leather for a minute or anything. See how yours reacts. Also, if your darkening is quite severe and deeper into the leather, this may not be the approach you need. I know that people have sent their Bals to LovinMyBags for professional handle cleaning. I have never done that.

HTH!

Thanks soo much for your help! I have just ordered from leather stuff (20% off coupon too!) I might try it on my bal coin pouch first to see how well it cleans :smile: I have looked into the lmb restoration but after my '05 purchase funds are lacking :smile:' I figured if anything I can carry her as is, save up, then do a complete restoration! (does that sound like a good idea? Being new to all this, a little reassurance goes a long way...) Thanks again :smile: