Claus von Stauffenberg: the true story behind the film Valkyrie, starring Tom Cruise

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 17/08/2008

On 20 July 1944, a German colonel left a bomb in the Führer's office. It exploded, just missing its target, and the following day the officer was shot. With the daring plot now being made into a film - starring Tom Cruise - Berthold von Stauffenberg, son of the would-be assassin, tells Nigel Jones how his father's 'moral sacrifice' shattered his and his family's lives

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/08/17/sv_hitler.xml

An 'overpowering personality': Claus von Stauffenberg, left and Tom Cruise, who plays him in 'Valkyrie'

Attachments

• Claus Von Stauffenberg.jpg
    Claus Von Stauffenberg.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 913
Discovery Channel has a great show called "Unsolved History", where police/scientists/forensic experts re-enact important moments from history. One episode explains why the von Stauffenberg bomb didn't kill Hitler. The theory is that he placed the briefcase next to the table leg, which ended up shielding Hitler from the impact of the bomb.

At first I was excited they are making a movie about vonStauffenberg because his life is so fascinating. But the fact they've been filming for two years...is a bad sign.

Bump!!! I just watch Valkyrie and it was amazing.

I read the history of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg and his wife and I think they NEED to make a movie of Nina von Stauffenberg too, her history is amazing and her role is barely played in the movie and I can understand why. She took so much and never gave up, she is truly and inspiration.

And of course, everybody in the movie had some sort of German accent, but I guess Tom Cruise was too good to portray him with a German accent. It was just weird watching him portray this German with an American accent. Heck, Daniel Craig did it in Defiance. Sorry, but TC sucks.