Classic trench

Aray22

Jan 5, 2013
Hi ladies,
I'm looking to invest in a classic Burberry trench but I am overwhelmed by the selection online (I don't live near a store) any suggestions on which style? At first I was thinking long but now I'm leaning toward mid length? Any insight would be helpful.

Hi ladies,
I'm looking to invest in a classic Burberry trench but I am overwhelmed by the selection online (I don't live near a store) any suggestions on which style? At first I was thinking long but now I'm leaning toward mid length? Any insight would be helpful.

How tall are you and what is your body shape? I'm 5'2 and the mid length fits me great. I've tried on the Marystow, Mottram and both were rather loose, short, and unflattering for me. Then, I tried on the mid length garbardine (don't think it's the Buckingham) and it was just perfect. There's lots of cuts, length, wool or without wool, hood or without hood, big buckles or smaller ones on the wrist, D rings or without D rings, etc. etc.

Ultimately, there's so many styles and cuts and everyone's body is different. I would personally wait until you could get to a store since the sales associates can help you better. Sorry not much help, you just wanna find the perfect one since it's quite expensive instead of guessing. :smile:

Some department stores like Nordstrom have Burberry. That would give you a head start.

I agree the fit is everything. I would try on as many coats as I could, even non-Burberry coats, just to see what fit, length, fabric, weight and features you prefer. Although for me, once I tried on the Marystow, that was it.

The Burberry stores do not have everything that is on the web site. I think my local store has coats that are not on the web site. So you sort of need to keep shopping until you find the perfect coat, and then just be happy with it.

My store offered free alterations with purchase. They also offered to ship the coat to my home.

I went to the store yesterday and tried mid length and the longer one. I liked the mid length better, and looked very good with skinny jeans. I ordered a mid length wool coat thinking I'd be wearing pants the entire winter anyways. not sure if it'd look weird if I had a skirt/dress on?

I love my mid length coats -- they work best for my height at 5'3". I also wear skinny jeans and leggings all the time, so topping off with a trench coat makes my outfits more polished. Haven't tried with skirts/dresses but I don't think a mid length would look as good as a long version unless the skirt is quite short.

OP -- do try before you buy. Good luck and have fun!

I'm 5'4" and all of my Burberry trenches are mid length and I find this to be the perfect length for me. Like you, for my first trench, I wanted it to be a classic, so I just listed off the characteristics I was looking for to my SA (honey or trench colour, cotton gabardine fabric, and check lining and undercollar) and she brought me all the options that fit what I was looking for. I have also ordered off the Burberry website and the nice thing about that is they have a live chat feature that allows you to ask as many questions as you want and you get answers instantly, so this might be a useful tool in your research! My tip if you do end up ordering off the Burberry website would be to remember that they list everything in UK sizing, so if you are not in the UK you will have to convert to your normal size. I hope this was helpful!

personally i like burberry London Better they are more fit than Burberry Brit which is more casual and boxy in most cases. And there are so different tones of colors even in Camel or light beige so . It depends on your skin tone too.