adding strap to speedy

I’ve only discovered the wonderland of vintage bags recently. I wish I had known earlier! I used to think second bags had plenty of defects. I‘ve spent too much money on contemporary bags that only last a couple of seasons. With the same money I can buy quality, iconic bags that have stood the test time.
Me too! For the price of 1-2 full price bags, which I would never let myself buy, I have a nice little LV collection. I also love the look of clean, nicely aged vachetta so much more than new...too much contrast. Plus it is more comfortable and carefree to wear because it is not perfect so I am not so OCD and I don’t feel out of place because it just looks like I have had it for a long time. And so tend to like the classics anyway, which are readily available secondhand.

Honestly, I can’t see myself ever buying a new LV. Never say never though....I never saw myself paying $500 for a bag. LOL

Reactions: happywife18
I put a strap on my Speedy Monogramouflage like this too. I do try not to overload it when I use it with a strap, but I’ve never had any problems.
Yes I don’t think it’s a permanent solution but mmmm
Me too! For the price of 1-2 full price bags, which I would never let myself buy, I have a nice little LV collection. I also love the look of clean, nicely aged vachetta so much more than new...too much contrast. Plus it is more comfortable and carefree to wear because it is not perfect so I am not so OCD and I don’t feel out of place because it just looks like I have had it for a long time. And so tend to like the classics anyway, which are readily available secondhand.

Honestly, I can’t see myself ever buying a new LV. Never say never though....I never saw myself paying $500 for a bag. LOL
I live in NZ and a brand new Classic Speedy 30 mono is NZ$1980. I only paid approximately NZ$600 for this one. That’s less than 1/3 of the retail prize ☺️☺️☺️
I have definitely paid more for a discount Tory Burch.

Disclaimer: I don’t intend to use the strap all the time, only when I need to free up my hands temporarily.

I wanted a vintage speedy as a everyday work bag because I don’t want to have to baby it too much (I still take good care of it but not to a Chanel level, which stresses me out.) I bought this one for $400 and quickly realized that although for the most part the top handles are fine, it’s not convenient when I shop/carry grocery and open the door at the same time, so I decided to add a detachable strap from another bag just for when I need it.

I know people advise against doing that, saying it’ll damage the canvas. I can see that if the hooks are attached to the outter part of the handle hardware, the tabs of the handles get bended/twisted in a weird way, which may contribute to tears, but when I attach the strap to the inner part, it isn’t that bad. Yea, it’s not as natural as a speedy b but I like the way it looks this way because I can see the strap more. (I like the color combination) and it looks less like a gym bag?

If someone commutes every day using public transportation and walks a decent distance with their bag over their shoulder, this setup is probably not ideal, but for someone who drives and walks around little, it’s nice to have the option to wear it on your shoulder IMHO.

View attachment 4890047

View attachment 4890049

View attachment 4890050

Don't sweat it....the Speedy has existed for years before they added the "B". I use a strap on my 40 (not a "B") and it looks just fine no issues with the handles/chaps.

Disclaimer: I don’t intend to use the strap all the time, only when I need to free up my hands temporarily.

I wanted a vintage speedy as a everyday work bag because I don’t want to have to baby it too much (I still take good care of it but not to a Chanel level, which stresses me out.) I bought this one for $400 and quickly realized that although for the most part the top handles are fine, it’s not convenient when I shop/carry grocery and open the door at the same time, so I decided to add a detachable strap from another bag just for when I need it.

I know people advise against doing that, saying it’ll damage the canvas. I can see that if the hooks are attached to the outter part of the handle hardware, the tabs of the handles get bended/twisted in a weird way, which may contribute to tears, but when I attach the strap to the inner part, it isn’t that bad. Yea, it’s not as natural as a speedy b but I like the way it looks this way because I can see the strap more. (I like the color combination) and it looks less like a gym bag?

If someone commutes every day using public transportation and walks a decent distance with their bag over their shoulder, this setup is probably not ideal, but for someone who drives and walks around little, it’s nice to have the option to wear it on your shoulder IMHO.

View attachment 4890047

View attachment 4890049

View attachment 4890050
In the old days before the speedy b, we used to do this all the time. I still have an old azur speedy 25 and I add a shoulder strap for convenience at times.

I did this as well. I have a DE Speedy 30 so I attached a brown leather strap to it like you did. This was before the bandouliere version was out. It’s def not the best solution so I don’t do it often but it works for when you need to be hands free. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Like you said, you bought the vintage speedy at a great price. I have bags I use especially for days when I don’t want to worry about babying the bag. I think this is one of those bags you can be more carefree with. It’s also a bag that can be easily replaced if it’s damaged beyond repair.

Reactions: Christofle
I did this as well. I have a DE Speedy 30 so I attached a brown leather strap to it like you did. This was before the bandouliere version was out. It’s def not the best solution so I don’t do it often but it works for when you need to be hands free. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Like you said, you bought the vintage speedy at a great price. I have bags I use especially for days when I don’t want to worry about babying the bag. I think this is one of those bags you can be more carefree with. It’s also a bag that can be easily replaced if it’s damaged beyond repair.
Agreed! There was a storm yesterday where I lived and I loved not having to worry about my bag at all! I normally would worry a bit about all my bags bought brand new, even if they are just contemporary designer bags. My speedy got a bit wet but it dried up nicely with no water stain on the leather (probably because it is protected by 20+ years of patina + leather conditioner + waterproof spray). I can't imagine using my vintage Chanel lambskin in that kind of weather!

Reactions: heytheredelilah
I do this as well. I bought a pre-loved LV strap a long time ago and use that with 2 different speedies. I only use the strap when I need it, generally carry them hand held, and love how the hanging strap looks.
Me too! I don't detached the strap even when the bag is being handheld. Somehow I think the way the strap hangs looks more stylish than the B.

Late to the party but I’ve done this with my 25 for a while; like others have said, since before the B came out. I haven’t used the speedy in a while but for a good amount of time years ago I used the strap on it regularly and haven’t noticed any issues.

Has anyone ever added drings to the sides of a classic speedy to make it into a bandouliere? I may be doing this to my classic speedy soon. Seen a few videos on YouTube and it has worked well for them without any damage.

Reactions: Veronica_13