CLASSIC FLAP vs. BOY for Petites?

xmaac

O.G.
Feb 26, 2012
Hi TPF !

I have been dreaming of buying a Chanel bag & I think I'm almost ready to buy, except:

I am approx. 4'11 ~ , so I am kind of unsure about how the drop length on these bags will fit me...

Any petite girls have any input on whether which bag fits them best?

Edit: Thinking about Boy in Medium vs. Classic Flap (Small or Medium) :smile:

Last edited:
Not sure what size of each you're looking at, but I'm 5' and I love my medium/large classic double flap. I tend to wear it on the shoulder double strapped or single strapped. I can do crossbody with it but I find it sits too high when I do that and it's awkward.

I have a mini rectangular flap and I find it only good for crossbody. It's too long for me single strapped and I don't like to do double strapped since I don't want to damage the sides of the bag (my mini only has two grommets so I have to do the wrap around method to do double strapped).

For the boy, the old medium size is perfect cross body, single strapped or double strapped. I do find it kind of boxy so I don't reach for it as much as my other bags.

But it depends on how much you plan to carry, how you'll use it and what kind of a look your going for. You can find a classic flap or a boy bag to fit your body type. You won't really know until you try them on.

Have fun deciding!!

Reactions: xmaac
I am 4"11. I think I tried the Chanel classic flap and the boy. I came into the Chanel boutique thinking I will get the classic flap but somehow felt in love with the boy. Never knew the boy could be so versatile. I find my style very casual so the boy fits my lifestyle. I got the small size. The chain is the right length for me as it hangs around my hip just a bit below my waist. Very comfortable. I tried the square and mini. But they were very long for me. But you can't go wrong with the boy or the classic flap. I think the classic flap chain is similarly to the boy. Maybe a little bit longer. Can't remember but my husband said I look better with the boy.

Reactions: xmaac
It really depends to your lifestyle and preference. Boy is more casual and has a "stronger" character. CF can be both casual and formal. Not to say that you can't carry a boy for formal occasions, but it really depends how your outfit looks. For a start, I would suggest to go for a boy first as it is roomier (I would presume you will hope to use your bag more often since it is your first Chanel, and not having to "wait" for occasions) and more of a character bag.

I'm also 4'11" and lengthwise the drop on M/L CF is perfect for me. For an old medium boy, I have to go cross body and it still hits a bit lower on the hip compared to the CF. I hardly ever carry the boy single chain on the shoulder. Either I do a double chain on the shoulder or crossbody.

One thing though, M/L fits less than the boy. Have you seen the bag IRL? You should really try both on before you make up your mind. You might like how one looks on you better than the other :smile:

For medium classic and boy you can use them as double chain but you can't do this with mini flap.
Also depends on your style, boy (and classic mini) more casual and classic flap (medium) more feminine.
But I would say classic medium flap is definitely what every girl should get in her collection!

if you absolutely want a crossbody, then the boy is a better choice. the med/large classic flap isn't meant to be a crossbody, and is too short for me to wear as a crossbody (i'm 5'2", but it might work for you). wardrobe wise, the boy is edgier and more casual though you can still definitely dress it up. for myself, i love my classic flap. it was my first chanel and i find it to be the most versatile of all my handbags. i would buy the classic flap first, unless you have found the boy in the exact color, leather and hardware combo that you want. then, i'd buy the boy first b/c it's harder to find a boy that fits the exact criteria. the black classic flap is more readily available (though can still be difficult to get).

See my reveal I jus posted - My First Classic Flap - I think it's called. I am 5'3" 108 lbs and the size looks perfect. Also consider Reissue in size 226. My Medium Boy is great as well, but it will feel and look just a bit bulkier on your frame. You can't go wrong with any of them though!!

I'm 5'2" and find that M/L fits me perfecty, in terms of drop and size. I haven't tried the boy yet but I think that will look good on you too! It may just depend on whether you want a classic look or edgy look. Let me know what you decide on :smile:

Thanks for the input ladies:P
I tried on the Boy, the single drop strap non cross body is tad too long, but I just love the design of it, so the only way to wear would be cross body or double strap

Haven't tried the classic yet, but hopefully a reveal is coming soon !:lol: