Clasps on the Stam...

kathyt

Feb 22, 2008
Never was a MJ fan until a year ago when I bought a black stam from a constylement shop(thanks Ann). I:heart:her and I understand the addition to his bags. Well, recently I visited Saks and saw a beautiful gold white stam (hope the name is correct) but I could not get it open. I tried all three bags on the table and not one opened, The SA even tried and nothing. Is this normal.:confused1: I mean it's a smokin' bag but 1495 the bag should open

the recent season stams are a lot harder to open than the older ones. i guess they took the whole popping open problem pretty seriously. you basically have to hold the clasps as if you were going to snap your fingers then push each clasp apart from one another (in an outwardly direction) and over simultaneously. the motion is similar to twisting, say, a bottle cap while using every finger save for the pinky. it takes practice. :lol:

There's a trick to it.. you have to place your fingers towards the center where the two circles of the kisslock meet and kind of pinch it.. and then it pops open

I didn't know that the current season Stams were so hard to open. My two that are older I can open 1 handed...probably would help with the spending if I couldn't get in to get my ZC. :P

lol I had the same problem too. I went to look at a stam and couldn't open. My mom pops it open right away. She had to show me how to open it... :P I finally could open it after a few try.. lol

Similar thing happened this weekend. I was carrying my yellow Stam and it was in the backseat of the car. I went to McDonald's drive through for my kids and asked one of my daughters to open up my Stam and get my wallet. She couldn't open it. I told her to give me the bag and I just pop it open. She says, "How did you do that???" LOL....magic. Actually, there's just an easy trick to it and you will get used to it.

Lol..same thing happened to me when i brought my Stam! When i got home i was actually practising it WITH GLOVES ON cos it hurt my fingers so much..lol. But im a pro at at now;) At least you know it'll keep your valuables safe!!!

Does anyone know if the locks actually have small latches on them that lock when the knobs are closed? So that one knob has a tiny hole and the other one a tiny latch? May be this is making it hard to open?

Both of my stams have the little latches I would assume all the kisslocks are like this. One is from 07 & the other from 08, but they aren't hard to open. My teal 08 is much "looser" than my grey 07, but I think it has a lot to do with the frame than the kisslock. Maybe he has made some improvements to the frames and they line up a little better? My teal 08 will close but there is a little gapping on one side of the frame. I think this is why it is looser and opens really easily. HTH!

There's a trick to it.. you have to place your fingers towards the center where the two circles of the kisslock meet and kind of pinch it.. and then it pops open

Thank God for this forum. I was driving myself crazy and almost wanting to return my new bag b/c half the time I couldn't get the darn thing open. After reading your post I can now open it no problem.

It really did make me feel like an idiot for a while there!

Does anyone know if the locks actually have small latches on them that lock when the knobs are closed? So that one knob has a tiny hole and the other one a tiny latch? May be this is making it hard to open?

yes, all the stams since S/S06 have the small little notches so that they stay closed -- this was actually part of the problem with the first stams from F/W05 and why so many of them gapped and popped open when carrying them. The first stams didn't have that notch & were perfectly smooth all the way around -- combined with the position of the chain (it connected to the bag in the back on both ends, whereas beginning w/S06, one end was connected on the back of the bag, the other on the front, giving a better balance the bag), this is why newer stams have tighter closures and some of them are more difficult to open than others.

They all seem to loosen up over time the more you use them (altho never have a problem with any of the newer stams popping open)