Food Clamato?

ragamuffin

O.G.
Dec 18, 2006
Do you not have Clamato in the States? My brother was going through the States for work and everywhere he stopped he tried to order a Caesar to drink and nobody knew what it was, so he would order a draft beer with a side of clam and get the same blank look. Is this a Canadian thing or did he just visit the wrong places? Do you have Clamato where you live?

We have it, my husband and MIL love the stuff. I'd rather have a V8, though. If he calls it Clamato they'll know what he's talking about, I think it's what he's calling it that's confusing them.

It's just tomato and clam juice right? I think you can get it at the grocery store here, but I don't know anyone who buys it. I know you can order Caesars here... I've seen them on drink menus.

It must have been just where he was! He is leaving again soon so I'll tell him to take his own Caesar mix. Everytime he asked, he said people looked at him like he had 4 heads.
yum caesar I think I'm going to have one tonight!

Yes, we do indeed have Clamato. I have used it in cooking fish soups but never in a cocktail...hmmm!!!

And I just checked wikipedia because I just felt like it:

A Caesar, sometimes referred to as a Bloody Caesar, after the similar Bloody Mary, is a cocktail popular mainly in Canada. It typically contains vodka, clamato (a blend of tomato juice and clam broth), Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and is served on the rocks in a large, celery salt-rimmed glass, and typically garnished with a stalk of celery and wedge of lime. A common nickname for a version without vodka is "Virgin Caesar". In the U.S. it is known as a clamdigger.

Yes, we do indeed have Clamato. I have used it in cooking fish soups but never in a cocktail...hmmm!!!

And I just checked wikipedia because I just felt like it:

A Caesar, sometimes referred to as a Bloody Caesar, after the similar Bloody Mary, is a cocktail popular mainly in Canada. It typically contains vodka, clamato (a blend of tomato juice and clam broth), Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and is served on the rocks in a large, celery salt-rimmed glass, and typically garnished with a stalk of celery and wedge of lime. A common nickname for a version without vodka is "Virgin Caesar". In the U.S. it is known as a clamdigger.

Yum Yum!

Mmm... I must try this. I love V8, so this sounds right up my alley. Is there a very strong seafood taste, or is it mainly tomato?

when I've purchased it bottled for cooking fish soups, I do recall it having a somewhat pungent odor, but I do love all seafood and shellfish so that is not an issue. However, I did need to make sure I capped the bottle tightly after using it as the smell is strong, a bit stronger than when I purchase fresh fish/shellfish for cooking if that makes sense.