CL Shoe Care and Maintenance Guide FAQ

Hi All! I just purchased my first pair of CLs! So excited! The pony hair Coroclics, but I live in Boston and want to weatherproof them. Anyone hear of this silicone spray below? Is it safe to use on pony hair? Any one have a brand they like? Is Kiwi Camp Dry okay to use? Thanks for the help! :biggrin:

Collonil Waterstop Spray: http://www.amazon.com/Collonil-Wate...JHP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326750822&sr=8-1

I have a pair of Bianca Pony hair and I was told by my shoe cobbler not to spray them with any kind of weather/water/dirt proof as the chemicals may cause the hair to fall off quicker.

However, I do apply a very thin coat of shiny/ finish serum that I use for my hair on them once to keep the hair down. It worked wonders!!:graucho:

Hope it helps!

Does anyone have any recs for a good suede cleaner? I have a little stain on my light grey Luxuras, big enough to bother me but small enough for the cobblers to think I'm a little nuts. I treated it with Meltonian before too :-s

Does anyone have any recs for a good suede cleaner? I have a little stain on my light grey Luxuras, big enough to bother me but small enough for the cobblers to think I'm a little nuts. I treated it with Meltonian before too :-s

Shoe lab in las Vegas is great if you want to send them out. Maybe a magic eraser of you want to DIY?

OMG! Can someone please tell me if this is repairable?
4367a8a4.jpg

Has anyone ever had an inner part of their CL's poke out?

My husband just bought me my Lady Peeps and where my big toe rests there seems to be a small metal staple poking out from the inside...

P.S.
They were bought at a official CL store here in Miami

can i please triple check that we can use non-alcohol and non-chlorine baby wipes to clean our patent shoes? i normally don't wipe down patent as they are easy to care for but since this is my very first pair of L, it's getting goddess treatment =)

some people rec baby wipes and others insist the wipes will result in water stain.

can we also use vaseline? i'm asking cos it's rec on tpf but i've also seen advice by shoe professionals that the vaseline will attract dust.

thank you!

Last edited:
Advice appreciated! What is the standard treatment for taking care of eel skin? My search on this thread hasn't come up with too much, but from what I gather, waterproof them with apple guard? Would I also need to condition?

Thanks!!

AngelaMM said:
Has anyone here ever successfully restored the softness of suede after it gets to feeling dry and rough?

I have a pair of black suede simples and I was very bad and used a cleaner on them that was supposed to be ok for all types of leather including suede but clearly that wasn't the result.

They are otherwise perfect condition but when you feel the suede and look at it really close it is rough and not soft and velvety like my other suede CLs. They look clean and otherwise great but the texture feels rough.

I've read online that rubbing suede with steel wool will lift the nap up again and make them soft but honestly I'm terrified to do that, I'd rather have rough feeling suede then no suede at all! Has anyone successfully tried this?

Any thoughts? Anyone have any luck restoring the texture of suede?

Have you tried a soft bristle brush? I use one on my suede after waterproofing. It is really gentle.

Need some advice as well on a pair of defective shoes I've been waiting for for a while. So I ordered the simple 100 Nude Patent Pumps from Saks.com which were on backorder. Once they arrived (early March) I had the Vibram red rubber soles put on them b/c I knew I'd need them since I planned to wear them frequently. Well, somehow I haven't had a chance to wear them yet (either rain or something else). Anyway, I made sure to check after picking them up from the shoe repair that they didn't mess anything up and they were fine. So I pulled them out of the box this past weekend to finally wear them and then I noticed that the patent was coming off! What the heck?! The only thing I can think of is maybe some humidity in the room from this hot summer snuck in, but it really baffles me. I'm planning on going to the Saks here in NYC to ask if they can exchange or return them but am afraid they won't help b/c they're not always the most helpful and b/c I've already had the the soles put on. Any advice or anyone happen to know a good Sales Associate/Manager in the NYC Saks store I can contact?

thanks for any and all tips!

wannaprada said:
I am about 5hrs away from NYC and for all my CL repairs, I send them to Leather Spa in NYC. While I have had a couple of shipping issues, I've never been disappointed with their work.

Wannaprada, have you ever had them clean any nude kid leather shoes? I have a pair that I'm obsessed with that I scored on eBay where some marks weren't exactly disclosed and there are a few stains... I'm really hoping to save them but the light color really concerns me.

Can any Balotas owner or other expert help me?

Finally found a pair on eBay, but when I opened them I saw that they are splitting/separating along the zippers. One worse than the other. I'm very bummed!

Before I take them to Shoe Lab, can anyone say if they are repairable?

Attachments

• image-2211134763.jpg
    image-2211134763.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 630
  • image-3440712368.jpg
    image-3440712368.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 615
  • image-2402762549.jpg
    image-2402762549.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 612