CL sale cycles

niccig

Jun 18, 2008
Ok, I "discovered" CL's and got my very first pair earlier this summer, so I haven't been exposed yet to the "sale cycles." I'd assume that things go on sale a season or two after they come out, no? I usually make it a strict point to never pay full retail for my shoes, but my spring conversion from a uniform of t-shirts/jeans/tennis shoes every day to cute clothes/heels has left me with absolutely NO winter shoes. So I'm thinking I'm going to have to get some boots pretty soon. In particular, I'm absolutely dying for a pair of Ginerva's. With that in mind-

Do you think Ginerva (or other boots/booties) will make it to sale?
If so, when? Should I go ahead and buy them, or will I be kicking myself a couple months later if I do?
Also, there are no stores anywhere near me that sell CL - the closest is Chicago, a 6-ish hour drive (the Saks and Nordies in Cincinnati don't carry CL). If I wait for sale will I have a terrible time trying to track down something in my size (38)?

I live in Kentucky, so I think I could make it through most of October with the closed-toe pumps I have, but after that my toes will freeze and I'll look ridiculous :smile:

Classic items usually do not go on sale. Seasonal items/booties unless they are a hot items will probably go on sale. I would suggest you purchase a pair if you really really like them because your size might be sold out by the time sales come along. They usually start around late November and then December so you might not get too much wear out of the booties if you get it that late.

I have complete faith that you will find boots/booties at the end of the season. I always see a ton at the sales. If you can wait stay in contact with a good SA to put aside what you're looking for. As with every season the classics usually don't go on sale.

Just fyi, the classics would be styles like the simple pumps, the decolletes, NP's & VP's, yoyo's in the basic colors (black, browns, nudes) but there is a caveat. The classics styles do go on sale in the seasonal colors or finishes. For example, I got my roccia VP's, my red stripped fabric & my red grease NP's on sale, because they were seasonal.
You can take advantage of special events on the classics that can help defray the cost. Saks has the egc days when they give a gift card for certain purchases. It does not apply to what you are buying, but it can help if you need to get something else. Also, in March and April both Saks and NM had promotions where if you bought 2 pairs of shoes you got money off that purchase or a gift card to use for a future purchase.

The best bet is to form a relationship with an SA or two who can look out for what you want.

Thanks for all your input everyone! I've got a pair of pre-loved Manolo boots on my ebay watch list (waaaay below the Ginerva price point!). I think if I win that I'll hold off on the Ginerva's until sale season. Then I can either get them on sale (if they make it in my size) or I'll have some spare cash laying around in case something different goes on sale that I absolutely can't live without. Like the fuschia suede C'est Moi's :smile:

Ooooh, I'm gonna be in trouble. I didn't win my Manolo boots (got sidetracked and missed the end of the auction), but found a pair of Bourge Zeppa's on ebay for less than retail, so I ordered those. They're taupe, which I thought might be a little more versatile than black. Then last night the Manolo's popped up again (guess maybe they didn't fit the buyer?) for a BIN of $245. So now I have a pair of black Manolo's on the way too :blush: Haven't told my husband yet about the extra pair of boots; but the the way I see it, all told I still spent less than I would have on the Ginerva's! The ban, however, starts in 3... 2... 1....

Last edited:
The after Christmas sales at Barney's and Saks are to DIE FOR!!!! I actually mark that date in my Blackberry and calendars!

If you absolutely WANT/need them....pay retail OR wait until the amazing sales at NM, Saks or Barney's....either way its all worth it in the end

don't worry, I will. They should get here on Sat or Mon. I haven't seen the altas anywhere this season, but I only get to shop online. Do the boutiques have them, I wonder?