City Steamer with sides out?

madzia

O.G.
Jun 27, 2006
I finally got my brand new city steamer in mm. I’m terrified to use it with my kids around so in the meantime I scrolled through Instagram and found a picture of it with the sides pushed out. I tried it on mine and they’re not really staying put, i don’t want to force it...

Do any of you wear it with the sides out like this? Does it have anything to do with the older leather or size?

Attachments

• DF85DF92-70AE-4149-B284-9E5A2A59F5AB.png
    DF85DF92-70AE-4149-B284-9E5A2A59F5AB.png
    577.2 KB · Views: 460
Beautiful designed bag. Enjoy wearing it. If the design was not made to wear with the sides pushed out I wouldn’t do it. I personally think it looks strange with the sides pushed out because you could tell it doesn’t seem to have the right cut on the purse with extra leather to wear it like that.

Possibly older leather softens and one can stuff it to push it out. Maybe this blogger just dit it for pictures?

I agreee, I don’t want to wear it in a way it wasn’t meant to be worn and to force it into that position. Here’s another picture that’s making me wonder if it’s meant to be worn like this

Beautiful designed bag. Enjoy wearing it. If the design was not made to wear with the sides pushed out I wouldn’t do it. I personally think it looks strange with the sides pushed out because you could tell it doesn’t seem to have the right cut on the purse with extra leather to wear it like that.

Possibly older leather softens and one can stuff it to push it out. Maybe this blogger just dit it for pictures?

Attachments

• 23810257-ACD2-4C2F-B86D-DF3B0C84397B.jpeg
    23810257-ACD2-4C2F-B86D-DF3B0C84397B.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 432
Seems like the Birkin was meant to be worn like that though. I’m still questioning if the steamer was

I would probably flip the sides out if I were wearing it. I’ve done it to several bags before. I’m not telling you it won’t cause damage, but mine didn’t get damaged: 2 Chanels and a Michael Kors saffiano tote (I sold the tote). I just feel like I want to enjoy the bag and wear it how I like it. It will still be worth something if you want to sell it down the road. I really take very good care of my bags and they usually show no signs of wear. I keep them cleaned out on a daily basis, no loose makeup (all in pouches), no pen marks, no weird wrinkles or sagging or corner wear, so I’m not careless. I’m just not afraid to make some “ears” if I want them. I’m sure many here will faint upon reading this.

So you “force” out the sides until the leather softens or gets adjusted to stay in that position? I like the look of it, I would just prefer that it be a reversible process lol

I would probably flip the sides out if I were wearing it. I’ve done it to several bags before. I’m not telling you it won’t cause damage, but mine didn’t get damaged: 2 Chanels and a Michael Kors saffiano tote (I sold the tote). I just feel like I want to enjoy the bag and wear it how I like it. It will still be worth something if you want to sell it down the road. I really take very good care of my bags and they usually show no signs of wear. I keep them cleaned out on a daily basis, no loose makeup (all in pouches), no pen marks, no weird wrinkles or sagging or corner wear, so I’m not careless. I’m just not afraid to make some “ears” if I want them. I’m sure many here will faint upon reading this.

So you “force” out the sides until the leather softens or gets adjusted to stay in that position? I like the look of it, I would just prefer that it be a reversible process lol
I don’t have a steamer so I don’t know how stiff it is. With some bags it’s pretty easy to do. I’ll show examples.
If it is too difficult to do on your steamer and feels like you are damaging the bag or cracking the leather, then of course don’t do it.
(This tiny Chanel came from a vintage store so it’s a bit scratched.)

Attachments

• 7D130AD8-939F-41B9-A4D7-B8EF0FBE3263.jpeg
    7D130AD8-939F-41B9-A4D7-B8EF0FBE3263.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 304
  • BD7485B1-D610-4B61-A4E6-E0478B11058A.jpeg
    BD7485B1-D610-4B61-A4E6-E0478B11058A.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Thanks so much! I think the steamer leather is much stiffer, so I’m thinking the pics I found were of the older leather which from my understanding was softer and scratched more easily. I’ll wait and see if it softens up a bit with wear and then maybe try it out.

I don’t have a steamer so I don’t know how stiff it is. With some bags it’s pretty easy to do. I’ll show examples.
If it is too difficult to do on your steamer and feels like you are damaging the bag or cracking the leather, then of course don’t do it.
(This tiny Chanel came from a vintage store so it’s a bit scratched.)

Reactions: gettinpurseonal
Thanks for the reply! Maybe it was a GM “feature” then on the original leather, I think both of the pictures with the sides pushed out are the gm size

I won’t mess with it, I fell in love with the bag in the shape that it came in so like you said I wouldn’t want to compromise it long term :smile: I was just thinking maybe it’s a reversible thing I don’t know about :smile:

Hi madzia, I personally would not push out the sides, I would worry that it would compromise then shape long term.
I have several of the original MM’s and the ones I have do not naturally push out.

Reactions: KimMN
If you are terrified to even use the bag with your kids around, you will probably want to follow KimMN’s advice and disregard what I do with mine. I don’t have any qualms about using my bags, yet somehow they manage to stay as pristine as when I got them. But since you have doubts, stick to wearing it the way it came. If you want “bat wings,” look into Celine or Hermès.

PS Oh, I just saw that you replied above.

Hi madzia, I personally would not push out the sides, I would worry that it would compromise then shape long term.
I have several of the original MM’s and the ones I have do not naturally push out.

Reactions: madzia