City leather- how does it hold up?

BadWolf10

Apr 10, 2015
I love the city drawstring I ordered last month. But I am noticing several creases in the leather. I am wondering how it will hold up. To be honest, this city leather seems different from other city bags Dooney has sold in the past. It scratches easily but doesn't seem to have the same character as florentine leather. Just curious of others experiences with this leather.

I love the city drawstring I ordered last month. But I am noticing several creases in the leather. I am wondering how it will hold up. To be honest, this city leather seems different from other city bags Dooney has sold in the past. It scratches easily but doesn't seem to have the same character as florentine leather. Just curious of others experiences with this leather.
BW: I don't have any newer City Leather handbags. And while I love the look and feel of the leather, I don't use my City Leather handbags often enough to report on their durability. But I share your concern regarding scratching and am also concerned about possible corner wear. I haven't experienced any problems, but I haven't used the same bag for any period of time.

When I first got my City Leather and developed an obsession with the leather I asked for input on the forum. No one had any negative information, but the leather was newer, so I don't think that many people had a lot of experience with it over a long period of use.

Reactions: BadWolf10
The city leather is so pretty, but this newer version really makes me nervous. I am considering going with red flo instead. I am not hard on my bags, but I do have kids and sometimes I cant completely baby them, lol. I just don't know.

I only have one and yes, it has that dreaded scratch. I don't know the source. I don't even know if it's safe to condition it. Dooney recommends against conditioning, some leathers but I guess they are trying to avoid a lawsuit. It might not be as durable as some of the other leathers, but it really has a classy look. It makes all the difference in some bags. Mine has a little crease and after all, it is a natural material.
BadWolf10, your bag sounds lovely.

Reactions: BadWolf10
I often wonder if every style collection with the same leather description is really made of the same leather. What I mean by this is: Are the city leather handbags (like Barlow, Flynn, and Dawson) that are made from a smooth leather called 'City', either to describe the style collection or leather or both, really the same as the smooth leather that is use on some of the hobos (like Teagan) or small satchel? The surface of the leather may look alike, but are they from the same leather source, processed in the same way, dyed in the same way, and of the same thickness and quality?

From my own experience I know that there are differences in the various collections made of 'pebbled' leather. For example, the zip zip leather is much thinner than the leather used in the Dillen collections or even some of the current pebble leather satchels.

One more thing to ponder. The thickness of the leather is not always an indicator of quality.... true glove leather can be lovely and it's very thin. However there are 'grades' of leather.... full grain, top grain, genuine leather, and others. Not all handbags are made of the best grade and as consumers it's very hard to know what we are buying. And yes, I understand that not everyone cares about the distinctions. But this is a handbag forum, so some of us are interested. :smile:

I often wonder if every style collection with the same leather description is really made of the same leather. What I mean by this is: Are the city leather handbags (like Barlow, Flynn, and Dawson) that are made from a smooth leather called 'City', either to describe the style collection or leather or both, really the same as the smooth leather that is use on some of the hobos (like Teagan) or small satchel? The surface of the leather may look alike, but are they from the same leather source, processed in the same way, dyed in the same way, and of the same thickness and quality?

From my own experience I know that there are differences in the various collections made of 'pebbled' leather. For example, the zip zip leather is much thinner than the leather used in the Dillen collections or even some of the current pebble leather satchels.

One more thing to ponder. The thickness of the leather is not always an indicator of quality.... true glove leather can be lovely and it's very thin. However there are 'grades' of leather.... full grain, top grain, genuine leather, and others. Not all handbags are made of the best grade and as consumers it's very hard to know what we are buying. And yes, I understand that not everyone cares about the distinctions. But this is a handbag forum, so some of us are interested. [emoji2]
You bring up some fantastic points. I think you are spot on.

Lots of questions, too few answers. :smile:
Now that I have the Teagan in hand, I think you are correct. It feels and seems just like city leather. I really like it. I have thought for a while that the Patterson collection seemed a lot like dillen, maybe less of a shine tho. And the cooper.... I wanted to love that bag so much but felt like the "pebble grain" was very inferior to the other pebble grain bags I have. Some qvc reviewers felt the same. I really love the florentine but it's so heavy, I have only kept one bag from that line. I am super curious about whether the beacon line will be like city, toscana, or even florentine. Sue Clifton described it as vachetta, so maybe more like the handles on pebble grain? Who knows.....