City bag out of stock?

apart of hystory and heritage there's a huge commercial factor to consider, who fell in love with Bal 15-20 years ago probably have stocked up and cannot provide the needed sales level, the young(er) generations are all for fast fashion and changing trends, nobody holds onto something for more than 1 season. That's why they have to move along with the reality.
it's sad, but it's the way the life goes.
i really hope that they will not completely eliminate this style, and we might still see Holidays collection, or Special editions occasionally, but for the most part probably it will be gone :sad:

I got myself the first metallic city in mini last month, and I asked similar question to the lovely SA. What she shared to me was that the classic metallic edge will be produced lesser and will only be shown to customers upon request in the boutique. The new directive was, as you are already aware, to promote the Neo version. When I asked if the metallic edge will eventually be phased out, she did not believe so because according to her sales experience, it is the best selling bag. I really like the classic metallic edge, so we shall see.

Reactions: ksuromax
Hi Ceejay, so if they’re being special ordered then they’re not really discontinued right? My theory is that Bal won’t be pushing them as much if there’s a new design.
Don't know that for sure, I don't think that if Bal wants to discontinue the City, he would be able to "special order" one, but then again .. given what I have seen (and seen being purchased at that store), nothing truly surprises me with that place .. they have an interesting clientele for sure!

If the City is being d/c'ed, I wonder if that will eventually mean the only way to get a new one is through outlets, since they seem to carry old(er) styles/colors/hardware? (I noticed TJ Maxx/Marshall's have bags with G12 & G21 hardware, as well as a Part Time on their sites now. Clearing out old back stock?)
Regardless, Demna seems determined to poo all over the Bal many of us fell in love with almost 20 years ago. Shame.
This seems very likely and yes, how sad ..

apart of hystory and heritage there's a huge commercial factor to consider, who fell in love with Bal 15-20 years ago probably have stocked up and cannot provide the needed sales level, the young(er) generations are all for fast fashion and changing trends, nobody holds onto something for more than 1 season. That's why they have to move along with the reality.
it's sad, but it's the way the life goes.
i really hope that they will not completely eliminate this style, and we might still see Holidays collection, or Special editions occasionally, but for the most part probably it will be gone :sad:
This would not surprise me one bit, but .. you bet that they are going to charge a lot of $$$ for these "special" bags! I thought it was interesting that Balenciaga didn't do a 20-year anniversary bag like they did on the 10th year anniversary; like another poster said, Demna seems determined to get rid of any of the "old" Balenciaga styles/themes ..

Reactions: jeanstohandbags
If the City is being d/c'ed, I wonder if that will eventually mean the only way to get a new one is through outlets, since they seem to carry old(er) styles/colors/hardware? (I noticed TJ Maxx/Marshall's have bags with G12 & G21 hardware, as well as a Part Time on their sites now. Clearing out old back stock?)
Regardless, Demna seems determined to poo all over the Bal many of us fell in love with almost 20 years ago. Shame.

So true about Demna, lol. I see a lot of the bag below on sale everywhere. It belongs in a landfill, which is probably where most will end up, lol. Too much "fast fashion" from Bal these days :sad:

Attachments

• 0400013103962_FUCHSIA.jpeg
    0400013103962_FUCHSIA.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2
This would not surprise me one bit, but .. you bet that they are going to charge a lot of $$$ for these "special" bags! I thought it was interesting that Balenciaga didn't do a 20-year anniversary bag like they did on the 10th year anniversary; like another poster said, Demna seems determined to get rid of any of the "old" Balenciaga styles/themes ..
Could be just a marketing strategy? Kinda pretend you eliminate this, and then create a 'special edition' and jack up the price, and they will sell like hot cakes, because "it's only now, or never" and special/limited/exclusive (underline as needed) edition!

This thread scared me so much that I just frantically called a bunch of Bal stores and tracked down the city mini croc embossed metallic edge I'd been eyeing after seeing it was sold out online. :lol: It was on sale and the SA I spoke with did say what others are saying here about the city being phased out. :hrmm:

Reactions: samfalstaff