CITES and customs in Switzerland...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blubo

Oct 9, 2008
Hi

I just bought a Hermès belt strap in crocodile leather from USA and now the belt has been blocked by Swiss customs at Geneva. On the phone they told me that they need the ORIGINAL Cites document. The seller, which is a experienced Seller of Hermès items, told me that Hermès never gives the original CITES document...

Can anyone help me? Maybe someone (from Switzerland) knows what to do..?

Thank you!

Blubo

Hi

I just bought a Hermès belt strap in crocodile leather from USA and now the belt has been blocked by Swiss customs at Geneva. On the phone they told me that they need the ORIGINAL Cites document. The seller, which is a experienced Seller of Hermès items, told me that Hermès never gives the original CITES document...

Can anyone help me? Maybe someone (from Switzerland) knows what to do..?

Thank you!

Blubo

this is true...............

I have been doing a search and can't find anything that would be helpful so far. You can do a search too and see if anything that would be of aid while waiting for someone who might be able to post something specific. In the upper right hand corner, you will find the search function for search this forum. Type cities or croc, cities. good luck!

J'aime La Suisse
nt19.gif

H does not give out the original CITES document with their exotics. Only a copy comes with their items. I suggest you contact Hermes and ask them to put in writing that they do not provide original CITES documents. Just ask H in an email and once you get H's answer, forward the email to Swiss Customs.

CC, the seller was not Hermes directly, but a reseller (presumably the first owner of the belt has the copy....if Hermès even gives a CITES copy for small items..?). The whole CITES thing is so confusing. Blubo, I suggest you contact the guys at luxury shops, they might be able to give you some advice (http://www.luxury-shops.com). They're in Switzerland and have dealt with exotics, at least sending from Switzerland.

Swiss custom do not care about Hermes Cites.

If the seller is US resident and bought this item in the US, it is normal that they did not get a Cites.

Cites is a "travel ticket" not a "passport". Each time you move a Croc Item from a country to another AND from an owner to another, you need a Cites. The Cites is valid for ONE travel /transfer of ownership.

Cites is NOT a certificate of origin of the skins. It is a tracking document for the skins that are internationally traded.

Swiss customs are very well aware of this , and among all customs I ever had to deal with they are the most knowlegeable and fair.

What they are asking for is a Cites permit of re-exportation issued by Cites USA ( Fish & Wildlife? ) stating the name & address of the sender ( your seller) and the name & address of receipient, the scientific name of skins and registration number of initial importation in the USA.
This permit is valid only for this transaction , and only for 6 months.

It was the duty of your seller to ask for this permit and attach it to the shipment.

Your seller could try to get one now and then you will provide it to Swiss Customs.
If they do not know the registration number they simply fill it as "unknown"...

And then only your shipment will be released. There is nothing to pay besides normal VAT, but you have to do this.

It is of no use to say that Hermes does not give original Cites because this is not what they are asking for. YKWIM....

Now you could call them and ask them if they would accept a Cites Permit of importation issued by BERN. If yes, you will have to ask it . It could take one to four weeks but it will work just fine and you will be sure to be in control of the situation.

PM me if you need more help, I will be here for you.

One general suggestion about shipments of exotics.

Either you have the right documentation and you go the straight way, or you declare calf leather and cross your fingers until the fedex guy rings your bell .

wow perlerare looks like youve been thru alot for that knowledge! thanks for sharing. I'm still confused by the whole Cites thing. So if you buy an exotic from Hermes and you get a copy, everytime you travel you must have it, right? but for whatever reason you decide to give or sell your bag to someone else, they would have to ask Hermes for a new Cites? I don't get it. What happens if you buy from Hermes and get a Cites but lose it? Does that mean you CAN'T travel with it?? Very confused. TIA to anyone who answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.