Cigar smoke..How does one remove the smell from Birkin?

Snos11

O.G.
Aug 6, 2008
I brought my birkin to a party and there was some serious cigar smoking going on. Its been 2 days and my epsom birkin still has a "cigar scent" even after I have aired it and it no longer has its beautiful original scent. Does anyone know how to get rid of the smell? :confused1: TIA!

If you have a search through the ebay forum, you might find some helpful tips there, I remember reading several threads about removing unwanted smells, usually tobacco-related, from handbags bought on ebay.

Try putting your bag next to an air purifier with built in ionizer. The negative ions will neutralize any odor. If you have a closet or carton box big enough to enclose your bag and ionizer, put both in and leave for half an hour. Lay the bag flat on its back opened. In this way, the negative ions will go thru both the interior and exterior of your bag and eliminate the odor.

Do you have an Lampe Berger (http://www.lampeberger.com/)eventually at home? Put it close to the bag for half an hour. Should work.

Good luck!

Simply, the Lampe Berger cleanses the air, removes odors and fragrances the room.
Developed by Monsieur Maurice Berger, a pharmaceutical chemist, each lamp features, under its’ stylish cap, a patented catalytic burner that destroys odors and helps purify the air, before the fragrance is dispersed.

The Lampe Berger is successful at destroying a whole range of odors, including:

:: Cigarette smoke
:: Cooking odors
:: Pet odors
:: Paint fumes
:: Many other forms of household pollution.

Last edited:
The Lampe Berger will only mask the smell and I wouldn't want to put a hot burny thing near my Birkin!! Eeek!

'hot burny thing'. I love it.

baking soda (or as mooks said, bicarbonate of soda) is the best. my brother's shoes reeked of cat pee even after cleaning and baking soda did the trick.

Try putting your bag next to an air purifier with built in ionizer. The negative ions will neutralize any odor. If you have a closet or carton box big enough to enclose your bag and ionizer, put both in and leave for half an hour. Lay the bag flat on its back opened. In this way, the negative ions will go thru both the interior and exterior of your bag and eliminate the odor.

so... scientific! lol

The Lampe Berger will only mask the smell and I wouldn't want to put a hot burny thing near my Birkin!! Eeek!

Just wanted to help. It works for me since many years.
It is not hot or burny and you can take the neutral oil if you don't like fragrance. But I love the smell of Creme Brulee.. as said I just wanted to help.-Sorry

Oh no I didn't mean to come across as being dismissive.....hence the silly hot burny comment!! :shame:

And BTW I love Lampe Berger, bought a lovely one for my folks a couple of years ago

I've used bicarb many times to remove smoke smell, though it has never cleared up cat urine stink for me. :roflmfao: Thanks to the smoking ban in bars and hotels, I don't have to worry about it anymore. :yes:

Do you have an Lampe Berger (http://www.lampeberger.com/)eventually at home? Put it close to the bag for half an hour. Should work.

Good luck!

Simply, the Lampe Berger cleanses the air, removes odors and fragrances the room.
Developed by Monsieur Maurice Berger, a pharmaceutical chemist, each lamp features, under its’ stylish cap, a patented catalytic burner that destroys odors and helps purify the air, before the fragrance is dispersed.

The Lampe Berger is successful at destroying a whole range of odors, including:

:: Cigarette smoke
:: Cooking odors
:: Pet odors
:: Paint fumes
:: Many other forms of household pollution.

I'm a huge Lampe Berger fan! It can work wonders on odors (and also is great for just a yummy scent in the home.) ... I've never thought of using it for purses, etc. Seems like a good idea to me!

I do recall someone using teabags in the same way as the bicarb. Might I suggest pleasant smelling ones like blackcurrent or apple. Place inside the bag and close it and inside the box with the bag inside and close it too. A search on smells or indeed tobacco will find many answers for you.