Christophe Lemaire is leaving Hermès

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL! Me either, EH. I have found myself underwhelmed with his designs (not all, but most), and for me, given Hermes' price points, I have to LOOOOOVE a garment to buy it. But I know my SA would like me to take more interest in RTW, so we'll see who's next!

I am not disappointed that he is leaving.
celine-happy-dance-o.gif

Encore this!

And hopefully the new designs will attract the Japanese/far east market if they flatter the petite physique in that region.

I must say I did like (and purchase) many of his sweaters. Especially the long cashmere or Yak wool ones. They were well cut, unfussy, easy to wear in beautiful neutral colors. Perfect with jeans, a GM and boots for a casual chic look.

I just picked two more sweaters last weekend for fall with matching wool wrap skirts. I for one hope that they will still carry simple, well cut clothes for women that lead a casual lifestyle.

would love to see a phoebe philo-type replace lemaire although it leaves short curvy women like me out.... also would love a donna karan-type - with simple luxurious, excellent fitting drapes. i always thought lemaire's stuff was rather frumpy and regretted being unaware enough to be buying H RTW during the Gaultier days. I loved his simple jersey dresses and don't have one. :sad:

oh wow! this sounds so good, from your mouth to hermes gods ears please =))

My store says that the clothes do sell well and they are gorgeous close up in texture but I never could reconcile myself with the dullness of CL's palette and the frumpiness of the clothes. We were spoiled with J-P G by the drama of the shows and the clothes. CL was just too ordinary to love.

Roja Dove opined to me 'Jean-Claude Ellena is a genius' so we can't expect to see his exact creative standards replicated with the new lady but Cuir d'Ange sounds really interesting already even though I've never enjoyed any Jo Malone scents.

The second the news broke out my mind was quick to imagine the idea of having Maxime Simoens replacing him. Mixing Maxime's talent and superb cut with Hermes technical abilities would be amazing. They say one can only dream...

Judging by the large amount of RTW at the recent Hermes sale I'd say it was time for him to leave. I also agree that a lot of his designs were frumpy, shapeless sacks.

HO0ipn4.jpg

Nadège Vanhee is reportedly to be the successor for the women's ready-to-wear line. She headed Martin Margiela (when Martin was still there), also worked under Phoebe Philo at Céline and then was design director at The Row.

Guess we might be seeing more of boxy, relaxed silhouettes for Hermès.

HO0ipn4.jpg

Nadège Vanhee is reportedly to be the successor for the women's ready-to-wear line. She headed Martin Margiela (when Martin was still there), also worked under Phoebe Philo at Céline and then was design director at The Row.

Guess we might be seeing more of boxy, relaxed silhouettes for Hermès.
A very interesting choice!!

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2014/07...he-lemaire-creative-director-successor-hermes

HERMÉS is close to naming departing creative director Christophe Lemaire's successor, with The Row's design director, Nadége Vanhee, said to be the favourite to take the role.

Vanhee has stayed out of the spotlight while establishing a name for herself in the industry. Before working with the Olsen sisters, she enjoyed stints as senior designer at Celine under Phoebe Philo and at Maison Martin Margiela, reports WWD. If she does take on the top job at Hermés, she would be following in Margiela's footsteps, as well as those of Jean Paul Gaultier.

Christophe Lemaire announced earlier this week that he was departing the label to concentrate on his own brand, after four years of steering Hermes to financial success.

This
EB we are clearly in the minority here but I have enjoyed many of CLs designs for Hermes and am looking forward to seeing the rest of the F/W2014 arrive at the boutique
Was lucky to have the pleasure of meeting CL at the NYC event-
I think his leaving is consistent with H changing designers every few years-
The proposed successor seems a good fit and in keeping with the Hermes clothing esthetic.

Last edited:
I'm cautiously excited about the new designer. The previous houses she's worked for are strong contemporary fashion leaders, but not wildly avant garde. The new RTW could be very French girl chic, younger in tone. . . . I always felt Lemaire was still a little too Lacoste--very much for the golf and tennis set, who are certainly a desirable demographic, just not my aesthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.