Home & Garden Christmas tree ornament storage - Help!!

~bastet

O.G.
Jun 12, 2007
My Christmas tree ornaments are all glass. The majority of them are cast-offs from my parents' Christmas trees, since my mom has enough ornaments for several themed trees. I accumulated additional ornaments on my own over the years. I have about 180 now. Eek! Currently, they're stored in large rubbermaid crates. The annoying thing is that to keep them from breaking, each one is still kept in the box that I bought it in (or that my mom gave it to me in). So, I have SIX rubbermaid crates, each filled with small boxes. This is the way my mom has always packed them, but there has to be a better, less time consuming way. Unpacking the ornaments is a pain in the butt. Fitting all the boxes back into the crates is infuriating! :censor:

Does anyone have any ideas on a way I can store my glass ornaments that does not involve a bazillion small boxes? I've looked into ornament storage boxes, but haven't been able to find anything that can accommodate a variety of sizes.

that's the way my parents do it too - all stored in their original boxes.
maybe all you need is just some boxes and layers of bubble wrap??

I wrap each ornament in paper towels and lay then in large plastic bins. The bottom, sides and top of the bins are also lined in bubble wrap taped on to stay. I can fit more by getting rid of the original cardboard boxes. So far this works for me.

I don't know how adjustable you need a bin to be, but something like this:
http://www.target.com/p/Large-Adjus...NG=home decor&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12227284

Has moveable dividers to accomodate larger or smaller ornaments. Dealing with the birds on my tree an their often long tails, I do what gillianna suggests and I wrap each ornament in tissue and lay them in bins. It is the only possible way I've found to store them without using up an entire room of the house!