Christmas gifts for the SO

amymaria

housecat
Jan 16, 2009
It's that time of the year again.

What are you getting your SO for Christmas (if you do the whole tradition)?

I've been seeing my BF for about 11 months. His birthday was this past weekend and I got him a decent espresso machine. My budget is about $400. Does anyone of ideas for me? I'm lost!

He does not wear jewelry. He doesn't carry a wallet. Money clip maybe, but it'd have to be TINY. He doesn't wear watches. He's probably the most difficult person to buy for. I'm sure he'd be happy with computer-related things but I don't know what a fuzzy server is. I really don't.

HALP!

amymaria - My husband is a software developer so he is into the whole "computer" thing. He recently built a media center pc and has been ho-humming around about how he needs another tuner & hard drive and he really like the glidetv remote...blah blah blah. It's like listening to another language. I know that he really wants all of these tech-related things so I e-mailed a friend of his that understands "geek" for help. He has helped me TREMENDOUSLY! Does your boyfriend have someone you could talk to?

If you can find a cheap deal depending on where you live, how about a weekend cruise/mini vacation? Many of them have very low prices - and this could be a gift for you too!

amymaria, does your so enjoy snowboarding or any outdoorsy activities? My so is into mountain biking and what I am getting him an 'action camera' that is mounted on his bike. And probably a mini weekend getaway to go snowboarding together! And of course stocking stuffers!!

We kinda celebrate at one time only.
His Birthday is Nov. 25th. Then our anniversary is Dec. 2nd. and then my Birthday is Dec. 15th. So everything is extremely close together.

I'm getting him a big basket with tons of car detailing stuff. He is really obsessed with Ford Focus's and he does car shows a lot so he will really love this.

We kinda celebrate at one time only.
His Birthday is Nov. 25th. Then our anniversary is Dec. 2nd. and then my Birthday is Dec. 15th. So everything is extremely close together.

I'm getting him a big basket with tons of car detailing stuff. He is really obsessed with Ford Focus's and he does car shows a lot so he will really love this.

That sounds like a great gift! My DH is obsessed with a clean car so that would be a neat idea for him too.
Two years ago I got my DH an acoustic guitar and guitar lessons. He had always wanted to learn how to play. He's still at it and he's gotten quite good. It's the gift that keeps on giving...

^ The guitar and lessons sounds like an amazing gift. I love that! :smile:
My bf has 4 (one acoustic) but since he's been in college he doesn't play. I was going to get him a new amp. (or whatever their called where you hook up your electric guitar) but the one he wants is a little over $100. That will have to be for another Christmas when I can save money lol.

Another really good idea would be (if it's sunny for christmas) would be to let him drive a really nice dream car of his. Rent one for the day or the weekend. Places like Hertz at your local air port.

Past successful gifts for SO:
- drink carbonator
- camera lenses
- ipods & itunes gift cards
- watches
- gourmet grocery store gift certifs

Planned gifts for this year:
- car sunshade that's a custom size for his car make/model
- camera lens
- fingerless gloves (so he can use his iphone in the winter)

ya...gave bf a itouch..he was soooo happy....he really looked like a kid..:P
i am going to give him a bracelet this x'mas since he mentioned it before.

Oh thanks guys for all the great ideas!
The vacation thing would be ideal but we are actually taking a nice long trip to couple places right after Xmas!

As for the suggestion of the tech goods help via a friend - I don't think any one of his friends understand to his degree! BUT this brought me to one idea that I think is going to be it. He mentioned he wanted a new monitor so I'm going to look for a nice 23inch widescreen for him. THAT or a new HD camera for our trip! I think that's a perfect price range.

He snowboards unfortuately I'm not sure how much time he will have to do so this winter. He will be going away on some business trips in Feb.

Thanks girls, you guys are always so helpful.

My guy is a car nut too as some posters have mentioned. Our 5 year anniversary is on December 12th so I'll be giving a Merry Christmas/Happy Anniversary gift by getting him a new radar detector... but not just any. A few years ago when my old car was stolen, I was in possession of his precious Valentine 1 detector (very expensive and very worth it!). The crooks ended up not only stripping my poor car for all it's worth but making off with his detector. He hasn't gotten around to replacing it so I'm gonna do it for him!

He's going to absolutely freak when he sees it. I can't wait :biggrin:

My guy is a car nut too as some posters have mentioned. Our 5 year anniversary is on December 12th so I'll be giving a Merry Christmas/Happy Anniversary gift by getting him a new radar detector... but not just any. A few years ago when my old car was stolen, I was in possession of his precious Valentine 1 detector (very expensive and very worth it!). The crooks ended up not only stripping my poor car for all it's worth but making off with his detector. He hasn't gotten around to replacing it so I'm gonna do it for him!

He's going to absolutely freak when he sees it. I can't wait :biggrin:

That's such a thoughtful and useful gift! I'm sorry your car got stolen though. That's not cool.

The monitor or the camera for your trip sounds like an awesome idea!

but another suggestion would be to bring the money for his present with you on the trip and see if there is something he likes there to buy for him or an activity to do together.

Can I be nosy and ask where you two are headed?

The monitor or the camera for your trip sounds like an awesome idea!

but another suggestion would be to bring the money for his present with you on the trip and see if there is something he likes there to buy for him or an activity to do together.

Can I be nosy and ask where you two are headed?

We are going after Christmas so that won't work ahah!
We are going to South America to a country no one has ever even heard of - Suriname
Then on our trek back we will be hanging out in Aruba for a few days before we come back to snowy, blizzardy Toronto!