Food Christmas Food Memories

Vegas Long Legs

Traveler
Nov 13, 2006
Do you have any foods that stand out as Christmas only or from childhood. Maybe they aren't something people don't make anymore?

Here's a couple I have not seen since the 70's.

Anyone remember the corn flake wreaths? Made with cornflakes, peanut butter, green food coloring & corn syrup. With the red hots as berries.

Or the haystacks made with crunchy chow mien noodles & chocolate. (Don't remember what other ingredients were used.)
Did not care for them. Maybe others didn't either?

Divinity is another one I don't see much of today. Was never a big fan of it. Remember when parents made it, was a lot of work in the old days.:lol:

A Trinidadian staple that I still love to this day, but my DH despises, is that we eat "pig's feet souse." It consists of pig's feet in a broth with peppers, cucumbers, garlic, onion, lime juice, and watercress. I remember eating it after we opened up our presents as well as throughout the day til dinnertime. With a good slice of bread from the West Indies...it was complete heaven :girlsigh:

i remember the corn flake wreaths and i wasn't born until the 80's! :smile:
and you still see the haystacks around sometimes. there's a store where my brother lives that has a whole bunch of homemade candy and they sold haystacks.

we always seem to make the same stuff year after year

My sister just made a cornflake wreath last year:giggles:! Anyone heard of the dump cake? My mom used to make it every year. It took weeks to make if I remember right. Each day she added an ingredient or two til it was time to bake it. Now it sounds weird but it was very good!

I've never seen corn flake wreaths but totally remember the chow mein noodles dessert! We called it "Bird's Nests" and they were more butterscotch than chocolate the way we had them :smile: I google the recipe every now and then and always mean to make them!

I was talking about haystacks a few weeks ago with my DH. My grandma used to make haystacks with me when I was younger and for some reason they popped into my head. She made her with raisins in them. They were not for a holiday but for year round.

My dad used to make an ambrosia fruit salad with coconut, pineapple, mandarin oranges, mini marshmallows, etc. I've never seen someone else make it, though there seem to be plenty of recipes out there, so SOMEONE must! And I remember the mini cornflake wreaths, too.

My mother buys all sorts of unusual pickled things around the holidays, too, although she is the only one who eats them - pickled pig's feet, pickled herring, pickled beets, etc.

My grandmother was the jello queen...she had so many jello recipes. I remember her making the rainbow jello in the early 70's, long before it was popular...she also make a pink jello whipped with cool whip studded with cubes of all different colors jello...I remember both were a ton of work.

I remember the haystacks and wreaths. We also use to make church windows, I kept those going for years, as they looked pretty on plates we gave to friends and family. But stopped a few years ago because my kids didn't like them and it was getting harder and harder to find the flavored/ colored marshmallows.

Attachments

• Church-Windows-RE.jpg
    Church-Windows-RE.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 86
We used to spend christmas at my grandma's in Slovakia every year (luckily we're spending christmas with her this year). She's an amazing cook, wish I could see her more often but she lives in a different country.

I remember her traditional slovak christmas dinner:

thin wafers with honey
sour mushroom soup
aand breadcrumbed carp with homemade mayo potato vegetables salad

Not really a memory but more of a tradition my DH started years ago...

Christmas Eve we make Paella for dinner and Christmas Morning we eat Cinnamon Bread French Toast soaked in Eggnog as opposed to regular egg and milk. The French Toast holds us over until we go my SILs in the afternoon.

Do you have any foods that stand out as Christmas only or from childhood. Maybe they aren't something people don't make anymore?

Here's a couple I have not seen since the 70's.

Anyone remember the corn flake wreaths? Made with cornflakes, peanut butter, green food coloring & corn syrup. With the red hots as berries.

Or the haystacks made with crunchy chow mien noodles & chocolate. (Don't remember what other ingredients were used.)
Did not care for them. Maybe others didn't either?

Divinity is another one I don't see much of today. Was never a big fan of it. Remember when parents made it, was a lot of work in the old days.:lol:

I remember the corn flake wreaths...haven't thought about them in forever! :biggrin:

I remember the haystacks too. they remind me of the no-bake cookies...kinda. does anyone else remember the no-bake cookies?

what about the chocolate covered peanut butter balls (with pecans & coconut)? my mom used to make buckets full of those! she'd have to hide them in the garage fridge or my dad would eat them all. did anyone else's mom make those? do you make them now? if they weren't so much work & required so much space to assemble, I'd love to make them.

My mom used to make marzipan fruit when the 5 of us were little. Now she says she has no time- as if she did back then. I'm determined to learn how to make them.
I made a pile of eagle brand chocolates this year, another thing my mom use to make us. Super easy, but labor intensive and messy.