Food Christmas Day Restaurant Dining

Leelee

Up On My Toes!
Jun 6, 2006
Anyone going out to dinner on Christmas Day? My husband's family really now just consists of the two of us and his sister and we decided it's a lot of work to make a big dinner. We thought we'd go out to a nice, special meal.

Has anyone else been to a restaurant on Christmas? Any recommendations in the Maryland/Washington, DC area? Are there even any open?

I haven't been to Washington DC for almost 8 years. I did happen to vacation during Christmas there one year and we dined at the Red Sage which was located about 2 blocks from The White House. We absolutely loved it. The atmosphere was perfect. We were seated in the downstairs cellar which was very cozy. The food was great. The cheesecake Brulee was yummy. It was snowing outside and very toasty inside. The perfect Christmas dinner.

I don't know if they still serve dinner on Christmas, but it's worth a try. Here's the link to their site:

Red Sage-The Grill

I've been trying to figure out where to go to dinner here in Orange County on Xmas also. With my house being almost all packed up, and who the heck knows where the pots and pans box is...I aint cooking! Its a waste to cook a big meal for just us two anyway...I do want to find a decent place to eat and then go to a movie. Just doesnt seem like Christmas this year.

In the large city nearest me, there is a Bangladeshi restaurant with a world-class chef. His kormas and passandas especially, are works of art. If I could eat only one food for the rest of my life, I would pick his chicken korma. No, his lamb passanda. Wait. Let me think about it.

Anyway, for all major holidays, Christmas, Eid, Hanukah, Divali, Father's Day, whatever, they do a special menu, which always includes either a korma or a passanda - oh - I forgot the kashmiri!

Because our major family celebration takes place on Noche Buena, on Christmas Day itself, we frequently go and commit serious gluttony on the korma. Or the passanda. Or Ohh the kashmiri. And the saag panir! And garlic naan! More pakuras over here, please! Aloo gobi? YES! Gimme some of that dal! Yes I AM putting my chicken korma on top of biryani. So what? Is that brinjal pickle? I want some! This is the BEST mango lassi in town! I smell boti kebabs. Did we get some of those? We need some. And some more raita. I want lamb passanda TOOOOOO!

So I wonder where we'll be going this year... ;)

I haven't been to Washington DC for almost 8 years. I did happen to vacation during Christmas there one year and we dined at the Red Sage which was located about 2 blocks from The White House. We absolutely loved it. The atmosphere was perfect. We were seated in the downstairs cellar which was very cozy. The food was great. The cheesecake Brulee was yummy. It was snowing outside and very toasty inside. The perfect Christmas dinner.

I don't know if they still serve dinner on Christmas, but it's worth a try. Here's the link to their site:

Red Sage-The Grill

I sent them an e-mail to see if they'll be open. I haven't heard back yet, but if they are your suggestions seems perfect! Thanks so much!!:flowers:

^
That's good advice! Thanks so much. We actually condsidered the Mayflower, but b/c we love Indian cuisine and my sister-in-law does too, we decided on Indique Heights in Chevy Chase, MD . The Washintonian Magazine gave it glowing reviews and it seems to be a really nice, up-scale place so we made reservations this afternoon. It was just by pure luck I discovered they were open on Christmas Day. I am really looking forward to a delicious meal without the stress of shopping, cooking, entertaining and cleaning-up.