Christie's Auction for Hermes handbag - licensed shipper?

May 26, 2021
I just won the bid for a bag through Christie's. The handbag is currently in Milan & I'm hoping to have it directly shipped to me in the US.

When I go to checkout, the shipping methods listed are:
  • Pay for property only
  • collect in person
  • arrange for your licensed shipper

Does anyone have any insight on how each of these shipping methods work? Or, does anyone know of any reliable licensed shippers that can ship from the EU to the US?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats! I hope you post your bag and action pics when it arrives! :biggrin:

My stepfather used to buy from auction houses years ago. I believe christies has its own list of pre approved shippers that carry their own insurance. Perhaps contact them (they would need to insure and provide paperwork; VAT; and applicable sales and customs. By the way, shipping insurance can be extremely expensive, but of course it’s worth it.

Congrats! I hope you post your bag and action pics when it arrives! :biggrin:

My stepfather used to buy from auction houses years ago. I believe christies has its own list of pre approved shippers that carry their own insurance. Perhaps contact them (they would need to insure and provide paperwork; VAT; and applicable sales and customs. By the way, shipping insurance can be extremely expensive, but of course it’s worth it.

Thank you so much! I think calling them is a good idea - I'm so lost lol. Crossing my fingers that this purchase will be successful & nothing happens to it so that I can share pics on the forum :blush:

Thank you so much! I think calling them is a good idea - I'm so lost lol. Crossing my fingers that this purchase will be successful & nothing happens to it so that I can share pics on the forum :blush:
My recollection (pre Brexit, for wine) was that they can arrange shipping for you using companies they know, which is a reliable but pricey way to proceed.

Can’t wait to which beauty you snagged, there were so many glorious items!

I went with Christies shipping company (London auction before Brexit and shipped within EU). The bag came very neatly packed and promptly. I actually asked for a quote before bidding on the particular item I wanted.
It’s smart of you to ask for a quote so you know what to expect. Right now I have no idea what to expect until my post sales rep gets back to me. I’ve heard it’s expensive but I don’t know if it’s in the hundreds or thousands :whut:

Reactions: Nahreen
It’s smart of you to ask for a quote so you know what to expect. Right now I have no idea what to expect until my post sales rep gets back to me. I’ve heard it’s expensive but I don’t know if it’s in the hundreds or thousands :whut:
I think I payed about 200 british pounds incl insurance. Of course the higher value, the more expensive insurance. My endbid incl VAT was 5000 british pounds. The insurance was 0.4% of the full value. Hope this information gives you some reference about price level.

• Insightful
Reactions: needmoneyforbirkins
I think I payed about 200 british pounds incl insurance. Of course the higher value, the more expensive insurance. My endbid incl VAT was 5000 british pounds. The insurance was 0.4% of the full value. Hope this information gives you some reference about price level.
THANK U! I’ve been looking for info like this all over the internet and this is more useful than anything I’ve found so far! Will keep u all updated!

Update: they gave me a shipping + insurance quote of EUR 1177! :shocked: I almost considered flying to Milan & picking it up in person, but I'll probably just pay them to ship it :yucky:
That seems a lot (without me knowing what you bought and the cost incl VAT). Italy is lovely so if you have the time, a spontaneous vacation might be on the horizon for you?

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags