Christians marrying non-christians?

winternight

Apr 9, 2006
I come from a duel-religion household and it was never an issue with my parents. This issue is coming up with a friend and her long-term boyfriend. He's Christian and she isn't. Can this work out for them? I don't know what to tell her because he's worried about their future and her spiritual future. Its such a mystery to me that I don't know how to advise. I also have no doubt that they would already be married if it wasn't for this.

Of course it can work if they respect each other's choices. It's much harder to make it work when christian marries "no-longer-christian".

My SO is Christian (not heavily so, but they are still reflected in his actions and values) and I'm a Buddhist. We've decided to expose our future kids to both religions and let them choose. The only thing we're concerned about is having kids with good morals and we believe that both religions teach that. I guess I'm lucky that he's willing to compromise.

It is taught in fundamental Christian churches that a "believer" should not marry a "non-believer". I understand why, as it can lead to difficulties and potential problems down the road if you're not on the same page with each other. The Biblical basis for it is found in 2 Corinthians 6:14.

Hey..I married a jewish man,I have one child being raised jewish and another a christian(My 16 year old is from a previous marriage)....whatever works..We are blessed that all our decisions were the right ones for our family.We all respect each others religion in our house and it works for us!( except when I have to help my 10 year old read hebrew..now thats difficult!!LOL!)

Jill said:
Hey..I married a jewish man,I have one child being raised jewish and another a christian(My 16 year old is from a previous marriage)....whatever works..We are blessed that all our decisions were the right ones for our family.We all respect each others religion in our house and it works for us!( except when I have to help my 10 year old read hebrew..now thats difficult!!LOL!)

that totally works, I think...because you both believe in something...it can get a little harder when one believes and the other just thinks the believer is nuts....gotta watch out for that combo, I think....that one can get pretty sticky:Push:

I think it is great that you have managed to mingle so well!

a little harder when one believes and the other just thinks the believer is nuts....gotta watch out for that combo, I think....that one can get pretty sticky

I agree! I think that's what I was trying to say...... "unequally yoked". I think with that combination, you're just asking for heartache and trials.

I think it can work--but it can be difficult when you have kids. If you have two different faith backgrounds, I think you really need to talk about how you want to raise your kids--in GREAT detail....

There are lots of things that we don't think about that can end up being an issue if you don't talk about them first:

1) Christening
2) Circumcision (for religious reasons)
3) Baptism
4) Naming of the child (like can you use a Saint's name?)
5) Where are they going to school?
6) How often are you going to church/synogogue/temple/etc.?
7) Celebrating holidays--i.e. Christmas or Hannakuh? Is Easter ok?

I have a friend who just always "assumed" her kids would "of course" go to Catholic school--turned out her SO had major issues about that. But it didn't come up in discussion until they were pregnant... Talk about a little bit of a surprise...

Another friend had to go to church on Saturday with mom and church on Sunday with dad--EVERY weekend. He's now a strong atheist--it was too much for him...

I don't want to sound like a downer--but I think these are discussions that you need to have with your SO before getting married and/or having kids.

winternight said:
I don't know what to tell her because he's worried about their future and her spiritual future.

Doesn't seem to me that he's open-minded if that's causing a problem at this stage... I hope I'm reading this wrong, though.