Choosing between 2 bags. Thoughts?

camillef_

Apr 10, 2014
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a Balenciaga bag that's perfect for every season and outfit that I can take with me everyday or when I travel.

2 days ago, I purchased one of Balenciaga's spring 2016 bags, the gris chartreux town bag with silver hardware (pic attached). I'm not really sure what this hardware is called because it's similar to the ME hardware wherein it does not have that thimble-texture, but the edges and pockets are not lined. If anyone knows please share!

I originally wanted a black ME town but they did not have that in store and only had the gris chartreux. On a scale of 1-10 of attractiveness, I thought the gris chartreux was around a 7.

I left the store just to think about the bag a bit more. I came back the second time and I was suddenly really drawn to the bag, like a 9/10. I felt like the gris chartreux was neutral but added a bit more life and color without being obnoxious. I still don't think it's as versatile as black but it will go with most things in my wardrobe since I mainly have greys,whites,blacks. Long story short, I ended up buying the bag.

Through the help of purseforum, someone was able to track down a black ME town for me but it is across the country and the SA is willing to ship. I've had the bag for 2 days and it's getting harder for me to return it even if I really wanted a black to begin with. I felt that the black ME will always be there for me to buy but this color and hardware combination might not come again.

So should I return and get a black ME or just stick with the gris chartreux and maybe buy the black ME some other time?
For reference, I am attaching a link to the black ME town from Barney's http://www.barneys.com/balenciaga-metallic-edge-town-504087035.html
The gris chartreux that I attached looks very different depending on the lighting but the color is almost a mix of the two pictures. The darker pic is a bit more true to color

Attachments

• IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 893
  • IMG_4289.jpg
    IMG_4289.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,135
Hi- I think the silver hardware is classic/ can go with anything but personally, I like the look of the ME better. It sounds like you settled because you couldn't find the exact bag that you wanted but I think that if you're going to make the purchase, you should get something that you absolutely love.

I think if you plan on buying the black one at a later time anyways, I'd just keep both now if you're able to.

I personally am not a fan of black bags too often, so I really do prefer the gris. :biggrin:

Personally, I prefer the gris because I'm not a fan of the ME, but I think you should get what you want. If you think you'll get the ME later anyway, then you should probably get it first since its your first choice.

That hardware is new for 2016. It's the RH in silver. I think this might become a new, possibly permanent option. I just ordered a black City with it because I prefer silver hardware but I also love the classic look (tassels vs zipper tabs). As far as Gris vs Black, I think the Gris looks more navy than gray (I haven't seen it IRL though) so I would go with Black.

Thanks everyone for giving me some input. I think I will most likely be keeping this bag, it is striking me more than a black, I feel like it has a bit more personality. I definitely don't think I'm settling and maybe in the future I'll have a black Balenciaga. For now I am just pleasantly surprised by how much I love the gris chartreux!

Thanks everyone for giving me some input. I think I will most likely be keeping this bag, it is striking me more than a black, I feel like it has a bit more personality. I definitely don't think I'm settling and maybe in the future I'll have a black Balenciaga. For now I am just pleasantly surprised by how much I love the gris chartreux!
I actually popped into NM today and it was the first one that caught my eye. It's really a gorgeous color and the HW was stunning with it. I also think the leather was much more desirable than the agneau of late. It wasn't thin and shiny. More matte and smooth. Suppose the powers that be have heard our cries?!?
I say CONGRATS on a gorgeous bag and something different than black!

I actually popped into NM today and it was the first one that caught my eye. It's really a gorgeous color and the HW was stunning with it. I also think the leather was much more desirable than the agneau of late. It wasn't thin and shiny. More matte and smooth. Suppose the powers that be have heard our cries?!?

+1 on the leather quality. The gris chartreaux town I posted in the s/s 2016 thread had the smoothest, softest... "finest" leather with the perfect amount of sheen (not shine).

Last edited:
+1 on the leather quality. The gris chartreaux town I posted in the s/s 2016 thread had the smoothest, softest... "finest" leather with the perfect amount of sheen (not shine).

Thank you so much! I'm very new to Balenciaga and I didn't know that the leather quality changes per bag/season. It's reassuring to know that the leather I got is considered pretty good!

Thank you! So happy that I found this bag by sheer luck!

An update on the bag, I still have a week to return the bag but I have finally cut the price tag so I can use it! So I'm officially going to be keeping the bag and I'm so happy! Although I still love a black ME, I don't mind waiting a while to purchase it and I'm in no rush since I can see myself using the bag to death! Thank you everyone for your input