Choking on saliva

1. Last night I woke up and i was literally Choking :s i jumped out of bed and my throat was totally blocked and no air was getting through, it was so scary!!! i didnt know what to do, i felt like i was going to die .... :crybaby:

any doctors advice? on what to do ? Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,:shame:

2. Are you congested? Do you have any problems (allergies, cold, etc) that would prevent you from breathing smoothly? I am sorry, I am not a doctor. Try sleeping on your side, that may help? Can you call your family doctor and ask about it?

3. Was it definitley saliva - you can get a thing called sleep apneoa where your airway almost collapses in on itself, but usually this is only a problem for very overweight people because the weight of their chest presses down on the airway. Do you think you may have "swallowed" your tongue - sounds crazy but it does happen and your body would realise something was wrong and wake you up with a bang.

4. Whoa, that is scary!...definitely get it checked out by a doctor.:hrmm:

5. yikes definetly scary! This often happens to me when I have a cold...it's very scary!
    Sleep apnea is also a problem....and it's not always overweight people, it's a very serious condition that is easily treatable.
    I would definetly go see your doctor!

6. i'm not over weight, i dont have allergies or cold.. it did happend before thought. i'm sooooooo scard it will happen again and i wont be able to breath then what? ;0(
    but i will definitly call my doctor..

thank you for your feedback..

7. Sleep apnea does not just happen to overweight people. I have been treated for it for over a year now. You should see your doctor. They can do a sleep study on you and find out if you suffer from this.

8. Please see your doctor as soon as possible (ie, today) to get a thorough examination. Maybe there is something blocking/partially blocking the passageway around your throat/sinus/nostril area (this is just a possible theory).

Good luck!! I hope everything turns out well!!

9. This has happened to me in the past- it's acid reflux disease in my case. I absolutely can't breathe and my eyes tear up. I would ask the doctor about it.

10. This has happened to me before and it freaked me out! I think that I was just a bit congested and I got blocked or it could of been sleep apnea, not really sure!

11. I have acid reflux, and I wake up choking some nights from that. Maybe have that and the sleep apnea checked out.

12. Happens to me sometimes. I would wake up in the middle of the night with so much saliva in my mouth that I have to constantly swallow it, and I feel nauseated.

I wonder what's wrong

13. It sounds like acid reflux to me too. My father had it and that is exactly how he described it. Go to a doctor and get checked out and mention acid reflux.

14. If i were u, i would definitly check it with a doctor.. just incase

15. Bumping this thread, this just happend to me today. I was drinking water and it went down the wrong way. I have choked many times in the past and knew I would be able to breath again. This time I wasn't able to get air at all. I honestly could not inhale. I have also woken up in the middle of the night unable to catch my breath. Wondered if anyone else has had this problem. I do have acid reflux, but today's episode was terribly scary.....If you are around OP, what was your outcome?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice