Choke chains -- what is the point?

I think the big problem with the choke style collars is that many times they are not put on correctly. So instead of just doing a quick pinch and release, the chains stay too tight and can bruise the dog's windpipe.
When used correctly, they can be effective training tools.

Agreed. When I went to obedience class, it was required and step one was learning to put it on right. They don't harm the dog if they are the right size and are put on properly.

When I walk my dog, we use a harness. The choke collar was only used for class purposes and to teach the dog tasks, as a nylon collar won't do the same thing. Gentle leaders are great for some dogs, but not for others. I was recommended to use a chain collar that was weight and size appropriate.

Harnesses are SO MUCH easier!!!!

And you just have to remember that you'll NEVER "outpull" a dog. If you want to restrain it (if you are using a collar and lead) you're going to have to "bump" the dog back to you....much more effective.

But - get a harness instead!!!!!

(not directed at anyone in particular - I'm just sayin')

Yeah, exactly. But harnesses don't look as cool. :rolleyes:

i use gentle leader on my pup. she is a little 50lbs dog, but when she sees a squirrel, she just charges like a freaking wolf on a hunt. Some of you might say that I dont train my dog properly, thats why I resort to the gentle leader.
This is incorrect. My dog is very well trained. She graduated from advance obedience class and passed AKC good citizenship test. She is the best dog... except when she sees squirrel. all those training and money spent just go to drain.

What I am trying to say is that... even the best dog in the world can go wild if he/she sees a prey or "toy". I am glad that my dog is small enough for me to be able to control her with the gentle leader.I know people who uses choke chain for the same reason I use gentle leader. But their dogs are bigger, hence maybe gentle leader is not effective. And they are not the type of people who want to make their dogs look tough.
I live in hippy capital of America. Looking tough is the last thing people in here are concern about.
At the end, dogs are dogs. They want to catch smaller animals. As long as choke chain is used correctly, I dont think we should stereotyping people.

Sorry, but I don't think that a collar with SPIKES is ever appropriate. It's sad to hear that many of you think this is fine.

I believe in getting a dog that's appropriate to your body and lifestyle. If your 65 pound dog got hurt and you're a single 100 pound girl living alone, how would you get it to the vet if it is hurt? Do people even take these things into consideration when they buy a dog? I guess call a strong friend to help you lift your dog?... not saying that single gals shouldn't have big dogs, but not to the point where they are "afraid" they'll get dragged down the street.

Yes, animals get jumpy, dogs like to chase squirrels. I get that. However, every now and again, getting tugged at is not going to kill you and is not worth putting a steel collar with spikes around your dog's throat.

And while some of you may claim to take the choke chain off while you gals are at home, I guarantee you that there are many, many people who don't bother doing that.

Picture this.....I weigh 100 pounds, and so does my Lab, he is trained to be walked on a leash, but when a squirrel or cat runs in front of us I refuse to be pulled to the ground to receive bloody knees. A choke chain is for my safety as for his, and I think in no way a choke chain is inhumane if used properly . Both of my Labs were trained with choke chains and shock collars, and these dogs are the loves of my life, so I would NEVER do anything to harm them in the slightest bit. And I don't appreciate the comment that the person holding the leash looks "trashy", and I don't do it to make my dog look "tough"

Ditto. My lab is very highly trained, and choke collars do not bother her to wear unless she puts the pressure on herself. They also are not worn unless she is "working". Actually the bulk of her work, retrieving in AKC hunt tests, is done collarless. She is 100 yards away from her handler and responds to whistles and hand signals. She passed her fourth Master Hunter test today, one more and she is AKC certified Master Hunter.

BTW- if we are walking, she has a pink collar with palmetto trees on it with a camoflage leash. Attached is one of my favorite photos of her "shaking her hindparts" after a beautiful retrieve.

Attachments

• HPNX0011.JPG
    HPNX0011.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 124
Sorry, but I don't think that a collar with SPIKES is ever appropriate. It's sad to hear that many of you think this is fine.

I believe in getting a dog that's appropriate to your body and lifestyle. If your 65 pound dog got hurt and you're a single 100 pound girl living alone, how would you get it to the vet if it is hurt? Do people even take these things into consideration when they buy a dog? I guess call a strong friend to help you lift your dog?... not saying that single gals shouldn't have big dogs, but not to the point where they are "afraid" they'll get dragged down the street.

Yes, animals get jumpy, dogs like to chase squirrels. I get that. However, every now and again, getting tugged at is not going to kill you and is not worth putting a steel collar with spikes around your dog's throat.

And while some of you may claim to take the choke chain off while you gals are at home, I guarantee you that there are many, many people who don't bother doing that.

My girl isn't going to chase a squirrel without permission. It's called training.

A shout out for great trainers-
Woody Thurman of Twin Lakes Kennels and
Linwood O'Briant of Leatherwood Kennels
and of course, the man, the myth, the legend, Emory Bullard who is getting a chocolate lab to do amazing things.

IntlSet, I am not trying to argue with you. I can tell you feel so strongly about this.
One thing I agree with you is that... yes... some people might not use it correctly. And thats just wrong. But some people do, and we should not stereotyping them as bad people.
And no... I dont use choking chain and I can easily lift my pup up if she ever gets sick.

i use gentle leader on my pup. she is a little 50lbs dog, but when she sees a squirrel, she just charges like a freaking wolf on a hunt. Some of you might say that I dont train my dog properly, thats why I resort to the gentle leader.
This is incorrect. My dog is very well trained. She graduated from advance obedience class and passed AKC good citizenship test. She is the best dog... except when she sees squirrel. all those training and money spent just go to drain.

I love your dog is a CGC. I can't get my girl through, cause she whines!

I love your dog is a CGC. I can't get my girl through, cause she whines!

well, I think I got lucky that there were no squirrels during the test :P

I am so proud of her for passing that test. I put her CGC diploma up on the wall. It is her wall of fame.. along with her obedience class diplomas. I guess this is how it must feel like when my kid graduate college. I understand why my mom was so happy the day I graduated college.

As far as squirrel... I would like her to be solid in no chasing after squirrel thing. I have observed that if I see the squirrel first and get her attention, she will not try to chase the squirrel. She will look at the squirrel, but it's like she know she ahs to pay attention to mommy. But most of the time, she sees the squirrel first. And after the squirrel gets her attention, I have to try really hard to get her to pay attention back to me.

well, I think I got lucky that there were no squirrels during the test :P

I am so proud of her for passing that test. I put her CGC diploma up on the wall. It is her wall of fame.. along with her obedience class diplomas. I guess this is how it must feel like when my kid graduate college. I understand why my mom was so happy the day I graduated college.

As far as squirrel... I would like her to be solid in no chasing after squirrel thing. I have observed that if I see the squirrel first and get her attention, she will not try to chase the squirrel. She will look at the squirrel, but it's like she know she ahs to pay attention to mommy. But most of the time, she sees the squirrel first. And after the squirrel gets her attention, I have to try really hard to get her to pay attention back to me.

You are definately on the right track with that!:tup: Just practice and patience and praise she will look at you as a better reward than the squirrel!!

Ditto. My lab is very highly trained, and choke collars do not bother her to wear unless she puts the pressure on herself. They also are not worn unless she is "working". Actually the bulk of her work, retrieving in AKC hunt tests, is done collarless. She is 100 yards away from her handler and responds to whistles and hand signals. She passed her fourth Master Hunter test today, one more and she is AKC certified Master Hunter.

BTW- if we are walking, she has a pink collar with palmetto trees on it with a camoflage leash. Attached is one of my favorite photos of her "shaking her hindparts" after a beautiful retrieve.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:woohoo:

I am tempted to start scent training with my bulldog, but I am not sure how well it will go...she has a mushed in nose:P But retreiving.....I had a hard time getting her to retrieve the dumbell for the obedience ring:hrmm:

Wow, congratulations one more leg to Master Hunter? That is great.

I think dogs walking on loose leads whether they are on chokes, gentle leaders, prong, harnesses or whatever are cool dogs. And cool humans too for properly walking the dog. We have to have leashes on dogs most times, train for that loose leash. Yes, the choke, prong and halters are supposed to be for training but as long as the leash is loose what is the difference? I am not so impressed by humans who let their sweet dogs hold their own leashes and walk themselves in town.

Harnesses are SO MUCH easier!!!!

And you just have to remember that you'll NEVER "outpull" a dog. If you want to restrain it (if you are using a collar and lead) you're going to have to "bump" the dog back to you....much more effective.

But - get a harness instead!!!!!

(not directed at anyone in particular - I'm just sayin')

I use harnesses on all my toy breeds but for certain breeds like Huskies, they actually ENCOURAGE a dog to pull. I used the gentle leader on my husky.

My Standard Poodle came with a choke-chain. NOT the ones with the prongs but the regular choke chains that you train with. He walks fine 99% of the time and it's really quite unnecessary BUT he gets freaked out easily (sometimes by people holding brooms, big tourist buses etc.) and one time when he was being walked with a regular collar, he actually broke loose and darted across the street, almost got hit by a car. We've only had him for 1.5 months so we're going to keep with the choke chain until he's fully settled in...at which point I will get him a pretty collar to match his pink hair (joking about the matching bit! :lol:)

I've had dogs all my life. Training when I was younger always used choke chain collars (no spikes pls, Egads!) My last dog that died in June at 12 was trained at classes at North Shore animal League, a huge rescue shelter on L.I. and we were required to use choke chains which was no surprise to me since I always used them and so did my parents. My new pup that we got in Sept. was trained using what I consider the newer methods sans choke chains. Admittedly, I still wish for a choke chain sometimes.

IntlSet - I totally agree that choke chains can be horrible in inexperienced hands and spikes are absolutely inhumane. In the right hands of an experienced dog owner (this is my 5th) that's practiced and been properly trained I believe they were and can be a great tool. Even the dog whisperer uses them at times. It's all a matter of correct usage and proper quick yank on the leash. There should never be continuous choking going on.